How does trs work?

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Depends, where are you leaving from, where are you going, and where are you planning to buy?

ok, just seen that this is in the aussie regional board, so i'll presume you're from here.
It *used* to be the case that you could fly out (with the goods), fly straight back in the next day and keep your tax-back, but now they've changed everything.

I nearly got burned last year when i "visited" aus from europe where i've been living. Thought i'd do the right thing and declare it when i arrived here, knowing full well that I was leaving within a few weeks back to europe. I'd even emailed the customs department asking advice about what to do. But then she didn't believe that I had because I didn't print out the email. I ended up having to argue for half an hour that I was leaving again and showing her my ticket (which she went off and photocopied with my passport) because otherwise she wanted to confiscate my camera until I left.
(I ended up lodging an official complaint over my treatment in that incident, do they try to confiscate the cameras of every tourist that arrives?)

Anyway, next time I landed in aus I just didn't say anything, walked straight through customs and got my whole kit into the country (although I can still argue that it was personal use and a year old by that point, in case any customs officers are reading this :) )

So yeah, i'd be reading the customs governemt website for info on that.

But if you're planning on buying overseas it's simpler, declare anything over $1k you bought overseas under a year ago and get taxed on arrival (or try sneak past and get busted and it's a nice sized fine...)

Upvote 0
I

ianhar

I dont intend to buy it over sea because its going to be hard with warranty. So my plan was to buy the camera sometime now because im going for my holiday soon. I have check the leaflet on trs they said that to be eliible to claim the goods must be purchase within 1 month of traveling time and must be over aud 300 in one receipt.

They will transfer the money into my bank account once the claim is settled. However i cant find information on what happen after i come back. Do i need to declare or can i just walk pass.

Thanks dr croubie for your reply.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
http://customs.gov.au/site/page4646.asp down the bottom it says about bringing stuff back in:
"Normal passenger concessions apply and include any items for which a TRS claim has been approved", and the 'normal concessions' are $1000 worth of stuff bought overseas plus trs-refunded goods, above which you have to declare.

So yeah, you will *legally* have to declare it again when you get back in (if it's over $1000). Are you travelling with anyone? When my sister last came back to aus, she declared her 550D kit between her and her bf, and was fine.

Of course, you can *try* sneaking past customs, canonrumours.com and I take no responsibility if you get caught and your success will vary depending on where and when you come in and whatnot. But if you get caught, it'll definitely cost you more than the amount you get for the tax-free refund.

Upvote 0