How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?

I upgraded to FF with mine in July after owning the 7D2 and could not be happier. The ISO performance is so much better than APS-C.
Other than my self-induced disaster when I turned off the Peripheral Illumination Correction, (see my thread in Tech Support), every thing is exceeding my expectations. I thought those lens corrections applied only to jpeg and not raw. Now I know better.

Macoose

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Macoose said:
I upgraded to FF with mine in July after owning the 7D2 and could not be happier. The ISO performance is so much better than APS-C.
Other than my self-induced disaster when I turned off the Peripheral Illumination Correction, (see my thread in Tech Support), every thing is exceeding my expectations. I thought those lens corrections applied only to jpeg and not raw. Now I know better.

Macoose

Just checked your thread. I missed where you said that the peripheral illumination correction is applied to RAW. Is that so in camera?

Upvote 0
I'm very pleased I upgraded my Mk3, was it worth it, I think so, full touch screen, AF for video is awesome, F8 focus points, the AF in low light pisses the Mk3, sharp as sharp can be! The new button is great for AF modes, and more... Side by side with my 1DX2 the Mk4 has features that will leave you scratching your head with the 1DX2, oh and remote shooting with a smartphone is very cool, I often grab the odd image direct to my S8, edit with LR mobile and post online anywhere! Now you can't do that with a Mk3.

Upvote 0
Overall I am absolutely delighted with my 5D mark 4, although at £3,350 I still feel the price is too high.
Apart from the 30 megapixel sensor the published features are nothing remarkable - 7fps is not much better than my 5D mark 3, and I never use the touch screen, GPS or wifi. However the improvement in image quality when compared with the 5D mark 3 is significant. I think this is largely due to the fact that the focussing is more precise, and for the first time I am able to see what some of my more expensive lenses can do. The higher resolution sensor may also be a contributing factor.
If we were to wind the clock back one year to when I was trying to decide whether to buy a 5D mark 4, despite the negative reviews, having used the camera for 6 months I would not hesitate. I would upgrade immediately and worry about luxuries such as food, clothing, lighting and heating later.

Upvote 0
I have the 5D4 and D500
the 5D4 is paired with the 24-70mm F4 IS most of the time
the D500 is paired with AFS 17-55mm F2.8 most of the time

I'm always picking the 5D4 combo more than the D500. so much so, i even bought the original battery grip for the 5D4.

I find the 5D4 is easier to use and more convenient. I like the output. I'm not a Caucasian and the darker skin tones/shades on the 5D4 looks more realistic than the D500. the LV AF is excellent. would have been great if Canon integrates the Canon external EVF via 5D4 hot shoe so that I can use it in LV/mirror-less mode. I do find that I need to turn the exposure down sometimes and found the AF tracking a bit more sensitive. I turn it down down to and have better results.
I've setup wireless transfer/integration with my MAC over my access point. once in my house. everything is connected and file transfer, remote control, camera management i.e. updates all works. the D500 is a great camera too...speedy but Nikon is so backwards in other areas. A lot people cry about Canon lack of innovation but Canon's features are current to today's needs. Human Machine interface and connectivity is everything today.

I see 5D4 as a transition to mirror-less platform for Canon. the LV DPAF kind of gives us a taste and experience on how the future Canon MILC would be. Nikon LV AF on the D500 is??? not sure how the Nikon version of their future MILC FF would be?

Yes, i'm quite happy with 5D4.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
AlanF said:
I like the 5DIV. Its signal to noise is excellent as are the speed and accuracy of its AF, and it is easy to handle. As my shots are often resolution limited, I would have liked the absence of an AA-filter to squeeze out a bit more resolution.

My images seem a bit grainy but its likely because I often check them at 1:1, particularly when applying NR and sharpening. Dropping the AA filter would have been nice. I've found that I like the higher resolution from my cheap SL2, and find myself using it more and more.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Loving it. Oddly, it's the things I didn't think were important that ended up being the biggest 'improvement' over the 6D and 5D3 I had earlier. The touch screen is so well done - fast responsive and easy to use. I review and cull half my images on the camera now before I even download to PC.

The dpaf/live view mode is great for certain shots with the ability to touch screen focus.

Add to that the sensor improvements, better AF, and just lots of little things that make it a great camera to use.

I'm very happy and for once im not thinking about what I want next, or feeling any gear envy about other cameras.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
arthurbikemad said:
I'm very pleased I upgraded my Mk3, was it worth it, I think so, full touch screen, AF for video is awesome, F8 focus points, the AF in low light pisses the Mk3, sharp as sharp can be! The new button is great for AF modes, and more... Side by side with my 1DX2 the Mk4 has features that will leave you scratching your head with the 1DX2, oh and remote shooting with a smartphone is very cool, I often grab the odd image direct to my S8, edit with LR mobile and post online anywhere! Now you can't do that with a Mk3.

Really? What is it that would be good on the 1DXII?

sek

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Mine was an upgrade from a worn out 5DIII on its third shutter. I'm loving the 5DIV and see it as a very handy upgrade over the MkIII. What works for me is superior AF, touch screen, improved DR, cleaner high iso files, way more detail and less noise in the shadows and overall plain better looking files. With the 5 Series I have found a significantly shorter working life than 1 Series, which you would expect. My 5D's tend to need a new shutter on average every 130,000 clicks whereas 1-Series may never break, or like my 1DX needed a new shutter at just over 500,000.

I sometimes wonder if I'd be better off with two 1-Series bodies, but I've got a big soft spot for the 5 Series bodies. One feature I have used far more than I expected is the Silent Shutter in the 5DIII & IV. Brilliant.

-pw

Upvote 0
scottkinfw said:
arthurbikemad said:

Really? What is it that would be good on the 1DXII?

sek

I'd like the extra button, it's well located and useful, touchscreen is VERY limited, not just in the UI but video also! Otherwise yes, perhaps not so much, if I am to keep one, the 1DX2 stays, it's a ripper of a beast!

Oh and as said above, the shutter on the 1DX2 is like my .22LR! The 5D4s shutter is like silk, perhaps Canon could have made the 1DX just a smidge quieter, just enough to have left a few subjects in the wilderness after the first shot ;)

Upvote 0