How happy are you with your 5D Mark IV?

May 4, 2011
AlanF said:
I like the 5DIV. Its signal to noise is excellent as are the speed and accuracy of its AF, and it is easy to handle. As my shots are often resolution limited, I would have liked the absence of an AA-filter to squeeze out a bit more resolution.

Sums up how I feel. I wouldn't consider the vast majority of my shots to be resolution-limited, but there are times I wish I had a bit more resolving power given the camera's 30MP. That said, there are other issues the 5D3 "had" that were fixed with the 5D4 that make the latter generally more fun to shoot with, and I also enjoy a higher hit rate on the AF which is great. So you can put me in the "happy with it" category.

On those shoots where high resolution or sharpness is the priority, I go for the 5DSR instead.

Upvote 0
I love mine, and I've owned a 5DII and a 5DIII. As others have said, it's more the whole than the sum of the parts. 25% resolution increase puts me right at the sweet spot. My work doesn't really cry out for much more. Small but significant sensor improvements; the great touch screen is especially handy in the studio or using live view; small but significant improvements to the handling; improved AF and metering; better battery life and the focus drive motor seems a little more robust with larger lenses. After a month or two with the camera I really feel like I won't be upgrading anytime soon, and that's a first for me! I can't think of a single box it doesn't check, and I couldn't say the same for the 5DIII. Definitely worth the expense.

Upvote 0
A few little tweaks and I would be thrilled. I had a 5DIII and a7RII and replaced the 5DIII. I have learned to love the tilt screen on the a7 alot as well as IBIS. but I have taken great images with both cameras and the GPS is one of those features that I never thought I'd care about that I like to have now. no one camera has it all I guess.

Upvote 0