How is everyone getting on with servo and face tracking?

Dec 13, 2010
I use it for portraits and find that when the box is over the face it never ever misses in normal to good light. If the light is lower I can’t use it, but then Servo struggles a lot with movement anyway, it just can’t lock.. so imo in good to great light the AF is fantastic, but when the light is dimmer One shot is the only way to trust it..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I use it for portraits and find that when the box is over the face it never ever misses in normal to good light. If the light is lower I can’t use it, but then Servo struggles a lot with movement anyway, it just can’t lock.. so imo in good to great light the AF is fantastic, but when the light is dimmer One shot is the only way to trust it..
Actually, let me adjust that claim. I tried out now in the darkish afternoon light, basically same exif, but now it worked very, very well. Can it be related to artificial light, or fluorescent light?

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I've been using the R alongside my 5D4 for a couple of weddings and feel I can't trust the servo modes and face tracking is a bit too random to be useful.

How's it for you guys? Not saying the R is poor at this, but that it's prosumer level vs what I'd expect from a pro body.

In my limited testing of the camera, I was not impressed....at all. Better off sticking with one shot, or if servo tracking is necessary, a 5D4 or equivalent DSLR.

Upvote 0