How likely is a top-of-class EOS 7D Mk III – i.e. a DSLR?

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Well, you could just continue taking great photos with the camera you have now. I really don't get the constant need to upgrade considering that all upgrades at this point are minor.
Oh. I certainly will continue taking great photos with my 7d2. But it will eventually die. I am guessing i will blow the shutter up in another couple of years and then what. I won't touch a phony. I hate nikons user interface and the feel of their body while manageable is not close to canon. I have canon glass that i want to use natively. At this point my best option will be a 5d4 or 5 if it is out but unlike others here i am constrained by money a bit. When my current camera dies i will be in a bit of a bind if there is no 7d3.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That's unfortunate. Sorry it didn't work out. Maybe I've just been lucky but mine still works great and I have a number of portfolio quality images that I've made with it. Presumably there are some manufacturing issues with the sensor or mirror assembly so 7D2 experience varies widely.

It's not a particularly good sensor. One of the earliest with DPAF. The AA filter is too strong but at the pixel level it still has a "grainy" look. That being said, it can take a lot of sharpening which offsets the strong AA. It's a camera with compromises but one that can still achieve pretty good results with long lenses if you're willing to put some effort into it. For anything else you're probably better off with a 80D or one of the M's. Not really fair to compare the 7D2 to a full frame sensor. No one is saying the IQ is comparable to the 5D4.

Not sure I'd be interested in a 7D3 but a modern sensor would make it a lot more attractive. The Sony IMX571 in the Fujifilm X-T3 would be a good choice. A 7D3 without DPAF but with speed and DR might be very successful vs the Nikons.
I am speaking from a good depth of ignorance, but I wonder if DPAF has its limitations with just too many AF points and some lowering of IQ for action stills.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Oh. I certainly will continue taking great photos with my 7d2. But it will eventually die. I am guessing i will blow the shutter up in another couple of years and then what. I won't touch a phony. I hate nikons user interface and the feel of their body while manageable is not close to canon. I have canon glass that i want to use natively. At this point my best option will be a 5d4 or 5 if it is out but unlike others here i am constrained by money a bit. When my current camera dies i will be in a bit of a bind if there is no 7d3.
Um...maybe just have the shutter replaced and keep on going? But, unfortunately there is a possibility that instead of dying, it might keep on going for much longer than you expect it in the first place.

The 7D Mark III will be much newer but you will be able to get the 5D IV for pretty much the same price or even less used. Point is, body prices will be going down.

By the same token, Nikon users could complain about whatever Canon has at the moment which they might not get in the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Um...maybe just have the shutter replaced and keep on going? But, unfortunately there is a possibility that instead of dying, it might keep on going for much longer than you expect it in the first place.

The 7D Mark III will be much newer but you will be able to get the 5D IV for pretty much the same price or even less used. Point is, body prices will be going down.

By the same token, Nikon users could complain about whatever Canon has at the moment which they might not get in the foreseeable future.

Ah. But i have reached the point in my photography where it is often being held back by the IQ and i am starting to desire better. After 5 years a new 7d would deliver that plus some other improvements while retaining everything i love about the current model. But say i do go down the route of a shutter and sensor replacement. How much would that likely cost? On Australia i would probably think close to half of what a new body would cost in which i would get all the new features, a body that has no wear and tear and a warranty that gives me reassurance. I will have to upgrade in the next two years. I hope it is to a 7d3 but if not i am not sure what route i will take.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Ah. But i have reached the point in my photography where it is often being held back by the IQ and i am starting to desire better. After 5 years a new 7d would deliver that plus some other improvements while retaining everything i love about the current model. But say i do go down the route of a shutter and sensor replacement. How much would that likely cost? On Australia i would probably think close to half of what a new body would cost in which i would get all the new features, a body that has no wear and tear and a warranty that gives me reassurance. I will have to upgrade in the next two years. I hope it is to a 7d3 but if not i am not sure what route i will take.
Again, it comes down to individual options. You can try and look for a deal on a less used body and re-sell the old one (this is how I avoid swallowing all the depreciation+potential service costs) and there are other options as well.
While a 7d3 will be much more advanced(although I don't expect as big of a jump in image quality compared to the II against the original), it will be much more expensive as well, at least 2000 usd if not more depending on its features.

Upvote 0
The situation in two years, with available camera bodies, could be quite a change from today. Be happy with what you have and assess the choices when the time come for you to buy. There will likely be a good, or at least acceptable option available then. ML options could be much advanced in two years.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
While a 7d3 will be much more advanced(although I don't expect as big of a jump in image quality compared to the II against the original), it will be much more expensive as well, at least 2000 usd if not more depending on its features.

Like Don Haines said (in another thread): "You want the features, you pay the dollars....".
Those photographers that, like me, want a truely very capable top-of-class cropped action camera from Canon, cannot expect it for the current price of the 7D Mk II. That is a no-brainer.

For the 7D Mk III to actually be the improvement that I and perhaps other cropped body action photographers want, it needs to become substantially more expensive than the current price of the 7D Mk II.

The price difference between the D500 and the 7D Mk II has been around €700 for a long time. This price difference means that many starting action photographers will choose the 7D Mk II over the D500. Canon just competes on price, thus avoiding competition on performance/the product. Hence there is no incentive for Canon to improve on the 7D Mk II, it sells itself. And who can blame Canon for exploiting this: they are in the money making business, not in the please-the-customer business.

Therefore I even hope that the 7D Mk III will be in the €2000 price range. Just like the D500.
With a 7D Mk III costing around €2000, Canon cannot simply compete on price.
Then Canon would have to compete on performance to sell the required volume.
With Canon’s technology and experience, I have no doubt that the world would then see a top-of-class cropped action camera where it really counts: in AF and sensor performance.

And if this wish would come true in 2019, what a fine year that would be! (y) :) (y)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

Dec 6, 2016
Canon does not have an affordable FF speed machine unfortunately. In Australia the 1dx2 is about 10k. Way out of my budget. So if i wind up paying around 3k for a new 7d3 that would be more than acceptable . A 5d4(or 5 dependi g on what is available) is an option but at 5k is also pushing things a bit far. I am reluctant to go refurbed. I have just never liked second hand. It always weighs on my mind.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
The current price difference between D500 and the 7DII is £350/€390.

I saw that is the case in the UK and Germany.
However in The Netherlands and also in Belgium prices are quite different (higher).

7D Mk II : during 2018 the price fluctuated between €1379 and €1299 (now) (except during the sudden price increase of Canon from February till around April).
D500: during 2018 the price fluctuated between €2069 and €2099 (now) (except during the sudden price increase of Nikon from July till around August)
The price difference has been around €700 for more than a year. At this moment the price difference is around € 600 due to both having CashBack actions.

Even a € / £ / $ 350 - 400 price advantage will often be enough for many to help them make the decision for the 7D Mk II.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Could that be the real reason behind the Brexit .......? :oops:
Quite the opposite. Before the single market, the UK was price gouged. Everything was more expensive here than in the rest of Europe. Most Brexiteers don't know what will hit them when, or dare I now say if, we leave. Those who do know, don't care.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
The 7DIII will come I'd say from Canon.
There are alot of 7DII users out there.
Mine is well used. I'd say I've over 200,000 photos shot on it.
I am getting the odd error so I suspect the mirror mechanism will go soon.
I was never fully satisfied with it. For me it always looked clear through the view finder but wasn't as good in the actual photograph.
It looked a camera to me that pushed the MP's too far (looks like a cropped 5DSR senser to me).
Once the ISO goes up the photograph can often be smudgy close up (like my 5DSR).
I've mainly used it with a 100-400 II.
I've found it much better with a 300 2.8 II (which is both an expensive and excellent lens).
I'd certainly be tempted by a 7DIII or a 1DX III.
I love high frame rate - it make a huge difference in fast moving sport.
A better focusing system would be of great benefit to me too and much better ISO performance .
Lets see what 2019 brings.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Quite the opposite. Before the single market, the UK was price gouged. Everything was more expensive here than in the rest of Europe.

The UK has been in the single market since 1972. You must have a long, long memory. Or more likely you're just parroting something someone said.

The single market doesn't protect against price targeting. Individual countries still receive language-specific SKUs, so if you want a German-language 7D2 then Canon can charge more or less for that than the French-language version. Actually the UK might come out as a winner, because the Japanese-market SKUs beloved of grey importers have English as a secondary language. So 'we' can get cheap imports whilst 'they' are stuck with official Canon supplies.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The UK has been in the single market since 1972. You must have a long, long memory. Or more likely you're just parroting something someone said.

The single market doesn't protect against price targeting. Individual countries still receive language-specific SKUs, so if you want a German-language 7D2 then Canon can charge more or less for that than the French-language version. Actually the UK might come out as a winner, because the Japanese-market SKUs beloved of grey importers have English as a secondary language. So 'we' can get cheap imports whilst 'they' are stuck with official Canon supplies.
Don't be so damn rude about parroting. I may even be old enough to be your grandfather and I lived through that period. And you should treat everyone on CR with respect and not make gratuitous insults.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
They have continued with EF telephoto development, so new bodies will follow as well, I think it will come after the 1DX III, but the 90D will probably come earier.

The last time around, the 7D Mark II came out (end of 2014) a little over a year before the 1D X Mark II (early 2016) and then the 80D (2016 Q2).

Upvote 0