How many 1D X pre-orders will be fulfilled on release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say. Canon tends to supply stores unevenly so some stores fill their preorders quickly while others may take awhile. I have seen situations where small camera stores have them on the shelf while larger online companies are still struggling to fill preorders.

I would certainly say you will on average receive the camera earlier if you preorder today than if you wait for it to be generally available on the shelf.

I can say that I preordered the 2x III extender from Adorama some time after it was announced and still received it in one of the initial shipments. That extender probably was produced in a higher quantity than the 1D-X but still the 1D-X is beyond the means of most photographers.

The big question for me is when will Canon start shipping any cameras? I strongly suspect it will not be at the end of March.

Upvote 0
I pre-ordered the 7D within quite a short time of the announcement, once I'd seen some low light sample images to make sure it was better than the 40D and received it the day before official release (presumably the delivery time from the supplier was slightly quicker than anticipated). Since then though, the general climate has changed somewhat, with the tsunami and general supply issues. Also, I read some anecdotal evidence of more of a trickle for supplies of the 1D MkIV, but I couldn't make any direct comparisons or judge how true the statements were.

Upvote 0

Z

Jan 15, 2012
Greatland said:
Can anyone identify which camera stores are taking pre-orders. I know that B&H is not taking any pre-orders and has not indicated when they will..

I should clarify: I live in the UK where most major retailers are accepting pre-orders online/in store. I suspect it has little to do with projected availability and more to do with competition, i.e. Jessops started doing it so now everybody is.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Adorama will take pre-orders over the phone (well, not pre-orders, exactly, but a deposit to hold your spot on a waiting list). Some brick and mortar stores are doing that, as well. B&H generally does not take pre-orders until they are notified that a shipment is imminent.

So where do you feel we have the best chance to get an 1DX quickly: Adorama or B&H?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No idea. Probably not directly relevant, but I placed a preorder for the S100 from Amazon within an hour of it being possible to do so. It was delayed relative to the original projected ship date, but I actually received it at about the time that B&H opened up their pre-orders. Best Buy brick-and-mortar stores had them in stock and available for several days before Amazon shipped mine...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Interesting indeed. Actually the more I think about it the more I wonder if it is the best thing to get the first batch of a product like the 1DX or is it preferable to wait for the second production run in case they have issues with firemware or something...not like I can wait any longer but wondering...

Any thoughts? You seem comfortable Neuro to get the first batch yourself?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
JR said:

I'm comfortable with it. There's a warranty, and I won't be depending on it for my livelihood. Also, I'm not in a position where I have to sell the 5DII (or anything else) to get the 1D X. After I get it, test it, and assuming it meets expectations, then I can sell the 5DII (and hopefully, get a 24-70mm f/2.8L MkII with the proceeds!).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I pre ordered my 5D MK II and got it in the first shipment. Canon has said they are making 7000 a month, so around 30,000 more or less could be distributed? We don't know how long they have been making them.

Many of the big retailers in the USA are not taking pre-orders, perhaps privately for good customers, but you can't pre-order from their website.

Amazon usually does not get the first batch of pro cameras, so pre-ordering with them is a losing cause.

I'm still waiting to find out more about how good it performs, it does not seem like there is anything urgent about me ordering it.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
JR said:

I'm comfortable with it. There's a warranty, and I won't be depending on it for my livelihood. Also, I'm not in a position where I have to sell the 5DII (or anything else) to get the 1D X. After I get it, test it, and assuming it meets expectations, then I can sell the 5DII (and hopefully, get a 24-70mm f/2.8L MkII with the proceeds!).

...and dont forget the 35 1.4L mkII! At least in my case this is how I plan to spend the proceed from the sale of the 5D mkII once I get the 1DX...

:p

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
B&H generally does not take pre-orders until they are notified that a shipment is imminent.

They told me it's because Canon hasn't confirmed the price yet. I heard that there were incidents where their pre-order price was lower than the manufacturer's final price and they didn't ask the pre-order customers to pay the difference.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
waving_odd said:
neuroanatomist said:
B&H generally does not take pre-orders until they are notified that a shipment is imminent.

They told me it's because Canon hasn't confirmed the price yet. I heard that there were incidents where their pre-order price was lower than the manufacturer's final price and they didn't ask the pre-order customers to pay the difference.

B&H has not taken pre-orders in the last few years, at least. They usually take orders less than a week before a new model arrives.

Even Adorama is not taking them. They have said its because a price hasn't been announced, but they were taking phone only orders from previous customers and the price was $9999 as a place holder because a firm price was not set.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.