How many megapixels will the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III have? [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
Rumors are rumors...i could be!

But I think the vast majority of folks using this professionally have no need for the extra MP. Keeping it lower allows the limited processor capacity that can fit in to a camera to be used for other things, more FPS, etc. 20 seems like a lot to me, but others seem to think its not enough...so who knows.

-Brian
The extra MP enable tighter cropping and looser framing so even for sports use it can be an advantage. The disadvantage is the data handling but honestly we can all handle tens of thousands of 30mp images.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Rumors are rumors...i could be!

But I think the vast majority of folks using this professionally have no need for the extra MP. Keeping it lower allows the limited processor capacity that can fit in to a camera to be used for other things, more FPS, etc. 20 seems like a lot to me, but others seem to think its not enough...so who knows.

-Brian

If canon released a camera with 30FPS, some people would respond, why not 40?

Some will never be satisfied, honestly, if you are having an issue getting a shot with 20FPS then the camera is not the problem, I'd replace the user.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If they do release a 5D V within a year and it comes with a modest boost to around 9-10 fps, and has similar autofocus, (both reasonable assumptions based on recent models) it could make it hard to make the case to pick the 1Dx III.

Now, I'm not declaring Canon is doomed or suggesting we hold our breaths and pass out, but I would find it a bit surprising and will make me look much more closely at the other improvements before deciding to upgrade.
That is exactly the point. If the 5D V is coming anyway, what is the point of keeping the 1DX III close to it in terms of megapixels? (Which doesn't matter in the range of only a few extra megapixels anyway, compared to the strength of an AA filter for instance)

They are different cameras, no doubt that more megapixels will come with penalties in terms of the silent shooting abilities and video features(full sensor FF readout is still a possibility, that would boost the low-light in a big way as well, no way it is going to be offered in a higher-megapixel 5D, might even skip 4k60p as well and worse 120p) besides the speed, which has always been a priority.

The choice has always been there with the 5D III and 1DX, and while one is significantly cheaper (smaller, lighter) than the other, while also offering some of those features, overall it is not nearly the same thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
DCI 4k 4096 × 2160 = 3x2 of 4096 x 2730 = 11,184,810 or 12mp with the normal edge loss.
5k is 5120 × 2880 = 3x2 =5120 x 3413 = 17,476,267 or 18mp with the normal edge loss.
6k is 6144 x 3160 = 3x2 = rounded 24mp
8k is 7680x4320 = 3x2 = rounded 40mp

We know it is going to be at least 20mp so the 4k is going to either be a crop or a a resample of some kind. If you want uncropped unresampled 4k you need to look at cinema cameras.
i think the crop will only be required for raw. I think it will be full frame for general purpose 4k.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

Some will never be satisfied, honestly, if you are having an issue getting a shot with 20FPS then the camera is not the problem, I'd replace the user.

If Canon released a camera with 30FPS burst, people would respond, why not 24? That's more cinematic.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Isn't 24 mpx a bit too conservative nowadays? Maybe I have just got used to the 5DIV resolution though :)

It seems to me that 24MP is a bit underwhelming when this is supposed to be Canon's flagship camera. The 5DIII was announced March 2012, and it shoots 22.3MP. It will be 8 years since then when the 1DxIII is available in 2020. The 1DxIII should be farther along, closer to 30MP.

Not according to Sony ;) Last I heard the D6 is also rumored to get a 24 MP sensor. Now, when it comes to the 5DV, that's a different question.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

The issue is between the shutter button and the shoe. The leather shoe, not the hot shoe.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Most of the people who use these cameras don’t need, or want higher resolution. 24MP is enough. They’re concerned not only with speed in shooting, but also speed in transfer over a network back to the office. Remember that when Canon came out with the 16.7MP model 1D all those years ago it was because that was enough for a Two page spread at 300 dpi, or 150 lines per inch. Anything a bit higher allows for some page fit. And most of these cameras are going to be used for that purpose.

anything larger is going to be viewed at greater distances. This is for advertising, photojournalism, sports, and wildlife. For most of that 24MP is fine.

we used to do work for billboards, where halftone dots are the size of golfballs, or larger. If you want high definition shots, you really need a tripod anyway, and that’s slow work. This isn’t the camera for that.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Most of the people who use these cameras don’t need, or want higher resolution. 24MP is enough. They’re concerned not only with speed in shooting, but also speed in transfer over a network back to the office. Remember that when Canon came out with the 16.7MP model 1D all those years ago it was because that was enough for a Two page spread at 300 dpi, or 150 lines per inch. Anything a bit higher allows for some page fit. And most of these cameras are going to be used for that purpose.

anything larger is going to be viewed at greater distances. This is for advertising, photojournalism, sports, and wildlife. For most of that 24MP is fine.

we used to do work for billboards, where halftone dots are the size of golfballs, or larger. If you want high definition shots, you really need a tripod anyway, and that’s slow work. This isn’t the camera for that.
That is just too broad a generalization to make. I am not 'most' but I'd happily take way more than 24mp, and by the look of the likes on my earlier post so would a few others. More mp allows for more cropping and more flexibility in general, the down side is processing power and storage, well the video has pushed the processing power so that isn't an issue now, the CFexpress has solved the write speeds, and computers are easily able to deal with thousands of 30-40-50mp and up files.

The days of saying 'sports' cameras only need to be low resolution are long gone.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
That is just too broad a generalization to make. I am not 'most' but I'd happily take way more than 24mp, and by the look of the likes on my earlier post so would a few others. More mp allows for more cropping and more flexibility in general, the down side is processing power and storage, well the video has pushed the processing power so that isn't an issue now, the CFexpress has solved the write speeds, and computers are easily able to deal with thousands of 30-40-50mp and up files.

The days of saying 'sports' cameras only need to be low resolution are long gone.
That’s my experience in the commercial world. I suspect very highly that the cross section of readers here aren’t the cross section of the users of this camera.

24MP isn’t low resolution. It’s more than enough for the use this camera mostly gets.

Upvote 0