How many people think that their 5D Mark IV images are soft?

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I have a 5D3, 5dsr, and a 5D Mark IV. I dont know if I just got used to my 5dsr more or that my 5d mark IV just has soft images. I don't remember images being this soft with my 5d3. I am seeing quite a few people saying this. Now I am one of them after owning the camera for a couple of weeks. Some images are really sharp but a lot of them seem softer than the sharp ones. I only use manual mode, turned down NR, and use single focus point focusing.

RayValdez360 said:
I have a 5D3, 5dsr, and a 5D Mark IV. I don't know if I just got used to my 5dsr more or that my 5d mark IV just has soft images. I don't remember images being this soft with my 5d3. I am seeing quite a few people saying this. Now I am one of them after owning the camera for a couple of weeks. Some images are really sharp but a lot of them seem softer than the sharp ones. I only use manual mode, turned down NR, and use single focus point focusing.

50 MPIX and no AA filter is simply addictive. Sharpness is unrivaled. And your lenses perform better. Only people who have not tried it can seriously say it does not make a difference.

I feel with you because I know with myself I would hardly ever pick up the 5DIV instead of the 5DS/R - its too good on the picture quality side - so I have given the current price level for now decided to pass.

However, I'm sure the 5DIV is a great tool too and your pictures are probably only relatively - not absolutely "soft".

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Act444 said:
Soft out of camera, yes. But with some PP work, the end result often matches or even surpasses that of the 5D3.

I will ALWAYS reach for the 5DSR though if detail and resolution is of prime importance.

Often matches or even surpasses the 5D3??? With a 25%+ increase in megapixels, not having better detail and resolution would be very surprising. Do you own the 5DIV?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
AlanF said:
The increase from 22 to 30 mpx is only an increase in 16.7% in terms of linear resolution. My 5D IV has equal acutance and slightly more resolution than my old Mk III. The 5DS R is still the king for resolution.

Alan I'm curious where the 7D II now sits in your scheme of things? Have you managed many shots lately?

Jack

Upvote 0
Have you done AFMA on your 5DIV or checked your diopter setting if manually focusing? Also, it could be the lens your using or the RAW processor's default settings for your body since the camera is so new. If you're basing it on the rear LCD, it could be the Picture Style setting. I think the 5DSR comes with Fine Detail as the default IIRC which makes it even sharper than normal. Also, as others have said, the 5DSR does spoil you.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
dak723 said:
You say some images are really sharp. Are you using a different lens for the really sharp ones? If so, it may be an AFMA issue as previously noted. If not, then I don't see how it could be a camera issue if some are really sharp, unless it is an AF issue.
It might be the lens because it seems like my 24-70 ii images are the soft ones. On my 5DSR all my lens seem sharp and of course on my 5D3 as well.

Upvote 0
5D Mark IV images should not be soft. I do find that there is less aggressive sharpening to the RAW files, but they can also bear more sharpening and the end result is superior to anything I could get out of the 5D3 or the 6D (I'm going to release a resolution video next week sometime on it).

The 5DsR is obviously a different story, though I personally found that amount of resolution overkill for most of my own work. It's amazing, though.

I did some tweaking to the JPEG engine as I found there was too much smoothing out of the box...even in the Fine Detail picture mode. I turned off all of the noise reduction settings. I don't know if that fixed it or if there was something in the new firmware, but suddenly my JPEGS look much better than my initial few weeks.

Here's a screenshot from a controlled comparison - 6D vs 5D4. No sharpening, just RAW straight from camera. Tripod mounted, and the new Zeiss Milvus 135mm f/2 (one of the sharpest lenses in the world). You can definitely see more resolution from the 5DIV - even without sharpening and at a pixel level (this is 1:1).

If you don't feel like your images are as sharp as the 5DIII out of your 5DIV something else is the problem.

Attachments

• 38 Resolution Screenshot.JPG
    38 Resolution Screenshot.JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 633
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
RayValdez360 said:
dak723 said:
You say some images are really sharp. Are you using a different lens for the really sharp ones? If so, it may be an AFMA issue as previously noted. If not, then I don't see how it could be a camera issue if some are really sharp, unless it is an AF issue.
It might be the lens because it seems like my 24-70 ii images are the soft ones. On my 5DSR all my lens seem sharp and of course on my 5D3 as well.
Have you tried to do AFMA?

Upvote 0

DootsHK

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 11, 2014
Hi everyone,

I bought a 5D4 two weeks ago, and i was really disappointed, the images were soft, i tried with Canon, Sigma and Tamron lenses, but still, very soft images, especially in low light conditions. I think I got 80% of soft images, 10% ok, and 10% very sharp.

I was jumping from a 50D (yes... i know, that's a old camera :)...) to a 5D4, so I didn't really know what to expect at the beginning, or even if it was just me not using it correctly, but i returned the camera for exchange after two days. I received a new one last week, and magic happened, the images are way sharper than with the first body.

I just found out this new body already has the firmware 1.02 installed, i don't know if it is related in any way, or if the first body simply had a defect, but the difference is very impressive.

Upvote 0
DootsHK said:
Hi everyone,

I bought a 5D4 two weeks ago, and i was really disappointed, the images were soft, i tried with Canon, Sigma and Tamron lenses, but still, very soft images, especially in low light conditions. I think I got 80% of soft images, 10% ok, and 10% very sharp.

I was jumping from a 50D (yes... i know, that's a old camera :)...) to a 5D4, so I didn't really know what to expect at the beginning, or even if it was just me not using it correctly, but i returned the camera for exchange after two days. I received a new one last week, and magic happened, the images are way sharper than with the first body.

I just found out this new body already has the firmware 1.02 installed, i don't know if it is related in any way, or if the first body simply had a defect, but the difference is very impressive.

Interesting. If you haven't done anything differently then you made have had a defective body in some way.

I've got my video up on the dynamic range from the camera. See it here if you are interested: http://bit.ly/2dB2W6f

Upvote 0