How Many Use Fv mode with their EOS R or RP Bodies?

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I use Fv almost exclusively with my R after trying it. I can fix the exposure settings I want and let others be adjusted automatically. Shutter Speed, Aperture, Exposure Compensation, and ISO settings show across the bottom of my LCD and are easily set. They are also displayed in the EVF in the same manner, but I don't adjust them using the evf because I have little feeling or control of my fingers, so I use the touch screen.

What do others use? You can't be wrong on this, its a preference.

Mar 14, 2012
I haven't yet, but I'm interested in trying Fv. It's more a question of getting comfortable with the controls. For years, I've been using Av with autoISO, and I would set the min shutter speed from a "my menu" selection or changing the ISO to push down the shutter speed if I'm taking a picture of a non-moving object in low light. Ideally, I would use the same mode for both my cameras (other is a 5D4), which is one reason I haven't tried it yet.

neuroanatomist

Jul 21, 2010
Also haven't tried it. Since the EOS R is now my travel camera, I expect I'll continue my usual practice of shooting in M mode for the architecture/landscapes that are my usual travel subjects.

Mt Spokane Photography

Mar 25, 2011
I see the Fv mode as a way to set P Tv, Av, ISO, M and exposure compensation using the screen. You can set to fully manual by giving each a value, or let one or more be auto.

There is no need to turn the control dial to set your mode when its on Fv, its basically a super Manual Mode. I wish I could select C1, C2, or C3 with the lcd screen as well

Viggo

EOS 5D SR
Dec 13, 2010
I’ve tried it, but to me, nothing works as flawless and fast as Av with minimum shutter speed and auto-iso.

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
Sep 8, 2012
Have not tried it yet but it is intriguing. At this point, I shoot "M", have control of ISO on the control ring of the lens / adapter, and use on camera controls for shutter speed and aperture. I have the AF set to face detect but move the points with the LCD using my thumb. At least, that's the way I am training my "muscle memory" for this camera.

Once I've gotten a lot more time with it, I'll try FV at some point, but as I understand it, it is a way to quickly select what you do manually and what the camera does for you (maybe set an aperture and shutter speed for one shot while letting the ISO and EV be automatic vs setting the ISO and aperture and letting the camera select the shutter speed on the next, etc.). At this point I am not sure that would give me any advantage over my current way of shooting, but it is interesting.

Jethro

EOS R
Jul 14, 2018
I'm defaulting to Fv, and it's been a highlight of my time with the EOS R so far.

Mt Spokane Photography

Mar 25, 2011
Have not tried it yet but it is intriguing. At this point, I shoot "M", have control of ISO on the control ring of the lens / adapter, and use on camera controls for shutter speed and aperture. I have the AF set to face detect but move the points with the LCD using my thumb. At least, that's the way I am training my "muscle memory" for this camera.

Once I've gotten a lot more time with it, I'll try FV at some point, but as I understand it, it is a way to quickly select what you do manually and what the camera does for you (maybe set an aperture and shutter speed for one shot while letting the ISO and EV be automatic vs setting the ISO and aperture and letting the camera select the shutter speed on the next, etc.). At this point I am not sure that would give me any advantage over my current way of shooting, but it is interesting.
There is no "Wrong Way" thats why so many different methods of setting the camera are provided. It is a new capability for Canon and worth looking at, but certainly do it the way that works for you, because in the end, that,s whats important.