How much longer will the EOS and EF system endure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably at least another 23 years.

At a minimum, any new 35mm format mount would be backwards compatible with EF. For example, with the direction DSLRs have been going, I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else. But as long as the same image circle is cast, and the film plane is at the same distance, why come up with a whole new mount?

Upvote 0
Let's consider what would "kill" EF mount. The only thing I can think of is EVIL, and even then that's a bit of a stretch. I'm not talking short term here, but suppose in the distant future we have an EVIL camera with AF system that is as good as DSLR phase AF in every way. That would be enough to obsolete crop sensor DSLRs, and only leave FF serving a niche position (unless Canon goes FF EVIL!), and who knows by then "affordable" medium format might be squeezing that space too.

The post above on video is interesting but I'm not familiar enough with it to guess any possible impact there. Videographers seem to be doing well enough with current kit. What lens functionality additions would increase value for video use? Consider what might be done in body as opposed to lens too.

Upvote 0
P

paul.themis

bvukich said:
I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else.

This is exactly the type of speculation I was looking for... The developments in high definition video recording make one wonder how much longer Canon will be able to utilize the same mount!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
paul.themis said:
bvukich said:
I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else.

This is exactly the type of speculation I was looking for... The developments in high definition video recording make one wonder how much longer Canon will be able to utilize the same mount!

Couldn't they simply add a couple of contacts to new lenses and new bodies, while maintaining backward compatibility with current lenses. There's plenty of room around the mount ring. For example, the lenses compatible with the 1.4x and 2x extenders have 3 extra contacts for the TC (there are no contacts for them on the bodies).

Upvote 0
P

paul.themis

neuroanatomist said:
paul.themis said:
bvukich said:

Couldn't they simply add a couple of contacts to new lenses and new bodies, while maintaining backward compatibility with current lenses. There's plenty of room around the mount ring. For example, the lenses compatible with the 1.4x and 2x extenders have 3 extra contacts for the TC (there are no contacts for them on the bodies).

What concerns me the most with adding anything to the current technology, is the marginal increase in size and weight (which I believe is one of the key limitations of current photographic equipment).

Alas, what I would like to see (a full-frame system the size of today's "point and shoot" toys - and I use that terminology loosely), is probably many decades from fruition.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
I'm going to be a party pooper and agree with bvukich's realist approach ... the EF mount isn't going anywhere in at least the next decade or two.

and, as neuro points out, if they came out with a new series of video-optimized hybrid DSLRs, there's no reason old lenses won't still work, the newer lenses would just have even more functionality.

it would be pretty cool to see some cine-lenses that are native to EF mount.

Upvote 0
bvukich said:
I could envision the eventual need for fancy video targeted lenses that may need additional contacts for continuous AF/iris/aperture or who knows what else. But as long as the same image circle is cast, and the film plane is at the same distance, why come up with a whole new mount?

You could use a kind of auto negotiation, if both camera and body support it you switch to a new protocol. Or simply increase the rate of updates to the framerate. Its an SPI connection after all. Canon could get respond times in the single digit ms range, if they want. I'd reckon the motors are the weaker links. :)

The main reason for a new mount would be a shorter flange focal distance. Nothing a simple adapter without image quality degrading optics couldn't handle.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
paul.themis said:
I really had my heart set on some arcane imaginary brand new + earth-shattering technology.

Something, ANYTHING, to prevent me from spending more money on EF lenses.

As in you're trying to distract yourself from shopping? Or hoping there's something bigger and better out there to be spending money on? I think you're in trouble either way

Upvote 0
C

Canonix

Gothmoth said:
or maybe he had a boring day and wanted to ask something....

On that note, maybe I could ask this: in England, we pronounce Nikon 'Nick-on' and Nissan 'Niss-an' and Canon 'Can-on', with short vowels - especially the second - and a light stress on the first syllable. In America, I have heard Nikon pronounced 'Ny-kahn' and Nissan 'Nee-ssahn' with long vowels, and stressed second syllables: so how do you pronounce Canon? 'Ca-nahn'? 'Cay-nahn'?

Upvote 0
Canonix said:
Gothmoth said:
or maybe he had a boring day and wanted to ask something....

On that note, maybe I could ask this: in England, we pronounce Nikon 'Nick-on' and Nissan 'Niss-an' and Canon 'Can-on', with short vowels - especially the second - and a light stress on the first syllable. In America, I have heard Nikon pronounced 'Ny-kahn' and Nissan 'Nee-ssahn' with long vowels, and stressed second syllables: so how do you pronounce Canon? 'Ca-nahn'? 'Cay-nahn'?

That's interesting. I knew that Nikon was pronouced Nick-on in England and Australia/New Zealand too but I didn't know that about Nissan. I think it's cool the way that works. I dont' think anyone told me how to say Nikon. I looked at it and thought "Ny-kon"
But yeah, Canon is the same. Can-on

Upvote 0
kubelik said:
On our side of the pond we pronounce Canon the same way as "cannon". Neither the american nor english pronunciations of nikon are correct, in japanese the "I" is prounced as an "ee" sound.

Alright, here we go with linguistics again ;)

The Japanese pronounciation of the term Canon (yeah, it's pretty funny to watch Canon-sponsored programs/commercials and hear the different pronounciations for the same name) is more like "Kyah-non" where the "non" sounds like the french "non".

However, the catch phrase/slogan used in the commercials seems to be unified under the English pronounciation.

All these from a company named after the Bodhisattva of Mercy (Kannon)....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.