How much saturation do you usually add/remove in your photos?

How much saturation do you usually add/remove in your photos?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2012
EYEONE said:
In camera I leave it alone. But if you shoot in RAW it doesn't matter does it?

Only in the rarest of occasions to I even touch the Saturation levels in LR. I might mess with vibrance a tiny bit, but hardly ever do I mess with Sat.

Exactly, so this is why those poll entries made little sense to me.

For landscapes I might add some saturation in LR. Let's say up to +10. Generally speaking though I prefer to work with the saturation sliders of individual colors or use the brush to select specific areas.

Upvote 0
Albi86 said:
EYEONE said:
In camera I leave it alone. But if you shoot in RAW it doesn't matter does it?

Only in the rarest of occasions to I even touch the Saturation levels in LR. I might mess with vibrance a tiny bit, but hardly ever do I mess with Sat.

Exactly, so this is why those poll entries made little sense to me.

For landscapes I might add some saturation in LR. Let's say up to +10. Generally speaking though I prefer to work with the saturation sliders of individual colors or use the brush to select specific areas.

+1 all the way.

Upvote 0
cliffwang said:
I also don't use jpeg file output nowadays. Just wonder what kind situation you still need to output jpeg files from your camera?

I don't use jpgs direct from the camera, but wedding or sport shooters sometimes do.
I Know that it depends on the situation but as Ken usually adds 4, then Maybe you also have some preferences.

What is misleading here is that in DPP you have same number values in slides as in a camera and some people (like usually me) use DPP instead of Lightroom but I meant in postprocessing of course or jpg in camera.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Albi86 said:
Yep, and even then its rarely over +10 or +15. Sometimes I will get a very specific color I want to highlight and I'll go more.

Upvote 0
Your question is not well framed. You might want to try a new poll, as it looks like this one is just starting. Here is why.

Whether I shoot RAW or JPEG, I choose a PICTURE PROFILE/STYLE that already has less saturation.

Either in camera or in Lightroom, I pick a Picture Profile (Landscape/Portrait/Faithful/Natural/Etc.) Then I adjust teh saturation settiings in camera or post to reduce saturation.

I also shoot in AdobeRGB, not sRGB.

So THERE IS NO STANDARD "SATURATION BASELINE" to reduce from. It depends one the profile and color space you are shooting in. There isn't a number that applies to all.

I shoot Marvel Cinestyle, Technicolor Cine or ProLost Flat.

http://prolost.com/blog/2012/4/10/prolost-flat.html

ProLost Flat starts with Natural, and then sets Saturation to -2. So in a sense, -2, but that is much different than "Landscape -2 sRGB."

Sorry, I didn't mean to shout. :p

I just wanted to emphaisze that there is no "Saturation" benchmark, like Greenwich Mean Time, that eberything can be compared to.

Cheers!
Michael

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
Not sure what +1 or +4 in-camera translates into relative to LR, but as I know the common rap on Rockwell is oversaturation, I assume that+4 is pretty heavy.
In LR I generally leave saturation alone and use vibrance instead, usually about +10 or 20 ticks.

also around there.
Vibrance for photos with fleshtones present, saturation for those without.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.