Votes: 29 18.2%
  • I have shot in excess of 100 hours video on my Canon DSLR

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • I shot my video on a different brand of video recorder

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
expatinasia said:
Tinky said:
A good counterbalanced tripod head makes fluid movements very easy to achieve, even with a big heavy camera, looks like a manfrotto 504 or 510 Keiths using, good starting point, I prefer Vinten pro-touch's or sachtlers

Just curious, but why do you prefer Vinten heads to the Manfrotto? Any Vinten in particular? I use the 502HD which is not too big and heavy, but works well.

I also googled the sachtler legs you mentioned, they look amazing but are also very pricey.

Thanks.

The 502 is built to a price, it has lots of strengths, and hides it's shortcomings well, but as you ask...

Weight capacity is lower than vinten

The counterbalancing in the vinten and sachtlers is variable (on the big menfrottos you need to swap out springs depending on the weight of the camera, on the small manfrottos the counterbalance is fixed). counterbalancing is the key to resistance free movements. You can touch a massive canera with one finger and get a totally controlled movement, on a poorly counterbalanced tripod you constantly compensate and fight against the wrong weight of spring.

It's night and day. good tripods cost much much more, not through extravagance.

The quaity of the pan and tilt resistance, vintens and sachtkers use oil cartidges, the cheaper manfrottos used to use teflon plates,nthen went to basic fluid cartridges, which are prone to bounceback and judder, smooth ramping is made much more difficult.

Then its little things like handle rosettes, on the cheaper manfrotto, these are cast as part of the main head, on better tripods they are faces that can be repkaced when the risettes wear out, which they will.

For eng I mostly use a vinten pro-touch 5, so ething like a sachtler ace costs the same as a 502 and video legs, and for my money is the far superior head.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dilbert said:
Don Haines said:
Tinky said:
mkabi said:
KeithBreazeal's ridiculous rig... I used those pain in arse cameras before... Stuff like those turned me away from video.... Sure...You can shoot hours of video on it, but its hard to get creative with it. How often are you changing lenses on it? Its already a heavy camera, the lenses are probably just as expensive, heavy and hard to change. You're probably depending on the power zoom? Ho

Haha, this is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read in my life.

I like the people filming without a tripod.... how the heck do you keep it steady?

What I see TV crews use is a gyroscope/gimbal based rig that is attached to you at your waist level. The camera is out in front of you.

Something like this:
http://tiffen.com/steadicam/

As explained previously, my post (which was obviously not well enough written) was referring to DSLR users and particularly phone users hand holding their device well away from the body.. ergonomics of a DSLR for video are terrible!

Upvote 0
not really. try the same poll on cinema5d etc. There is a stills bias amongst this forums users.
Do I think video users are in the majority? No
Do I think the addition of video is in anyway to the detriment if stills users? No
Do I think video is a good value add on to a dslr? Yes
Do I think the video market is important to the eos and ef brand? Absolutely.

I don't get the fascination with video bashing. I never ever use spot metering or green square mode, do I gimp and whinge about their inclusion or clumsily surmise what is excluded to allow their inclusion? no.

live and let live, or go build your own perfect camera.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Tinky said:
not really. try the same poll on cinema5d etc. There is a stills bias amongst this forums users.
Do I think video users are in the majority? No
Do I think the addition of video is in anyway to the detriment if stills users? No
Do I think video is a good value add on to a dslr? Yes
Do I think the video market is important to the eos and ef brand? Absolutely.

I don't get the fascination with video bashing. I never ever use spot metering or green square mode, do I gimp and whinge about their inclusion or clumsily surmise what is excluded to allow their inclusion? no.

live and let live, or go build your own perfect camera.
+1
well said. Video is another tool to add to the kit...

BTW, number one reason to shoot video on a DSLR? "Because I felt like it" :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
''I never ever use spot metering...''

I wonder how many videographers whine about a lack of advanced stills features.

Friendly poll, no bashing detected. But it does make a good point about gear heads bemoaning a lack of features used by a small minority.

OTH, Canon enjoys the sales to people who believe they may someday use a feature...Win, win, if the feature doesn't painfully increase price or cause primary use headaches.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Sometimes you are shooting stills and you say to yourself "hey, why not shoot a video clip?"..... so you do.

Yes, a proper video rig would do a better job, but it costs money that you don't have, and even if you did have one, it's not with you because it's just too darn heavy to bring on a hike. So you make do with your DSLR. Your clip is never going to be shown in theatres or featured on the news (unless you caught bigfoot, Nessie, space aliens, or Elvis) but it is certainly good enough to share with friends....

https://vimeo.com/147408154

Upvote 0
I shoot quite a bit of video, mainly at events and weddings, often filling a 128gig card.
I have used my 60d and 5d3, but being a one man show, I always had trouble focussing, so I bought a nice Sony HD cam, which is OK but the focussing was slow and it's performance in low light was pretty poor, so I bought a 70d and haven't looked back.
I usually use it on a 3 legged monopod, and I find I can get good steady footage this way.
This way, if I need to take stills as well, I only have to flip a switch.

I think a lot of us are a bit frightened to use the video functionality of our cameras, but if you start using it, you'll find that it's a lot of fun and easy to use, especially if your camera has dpaf, and as far as editing goes, get a copy of Premiere Elements.

Upvote 0
Bennymiata said:
I shoot quite a bit of video, mainly at events and weddings, often filling a 128gig card.

Seriously? How many batteries does it take to do that?

I have two 1D X batteries and they die before I am close to filling two 64GB 1066x cards.

The 1D X battery is amazing but video eats a lot of power.

Upvote 0
Never and I don't expect it to change. iPhone is good enough for anything family related and I don't record videos of anything else. I would go for a camcoder if I had to do video.

So far 75% of people who responded to the poll don't use video on DSLR and 16% use it "rarely". That puts all those rants about 4k and pro-level video features necessity for 5D mk. IV to the whole new perspective. It just doesn't make sense to me for 9% of users.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
I used my 7D and more latterly my 5Diii to video my daughter playing violin. Plus I have video'ed a music festival final competition for the organisers. Nothing stupendous, but a million times better than using my iPhone! However, now that my daughter rarely plays the violin (at least in my sight) the video functionality is largely irrelevant to me. And now my iPhone suffices for 99.9% of my video requirements!

Upvote 0