How noisy is the IS motor of the 70-200mm F/4L IS USM?

Hi guys

I'm going to purchase a 70-200 lens that I will use for video work. IS is a must, but I don't really need F/2.8 and the extra weight. However it's been mentioned several places on the net that the IS motor in the 70-200mm F/4 IS USM is very noisy. I will be having a shotgun mic mounted on the camera, and I'm worried that it will pick up the IS motor noise.

Anyone here who have experience with the 70-200mm F/4L IS USM in regards to camera mounted microphones and the IS noise? Is it so bad that I'll have to suck it up and get the 2.8 Mk II version?

- Alex

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
AlexB said:
Hi guys

I'm going to purchase a 70-200 lens that I will use for video work. IS is a must, but I don't really need F/2.8 and the extra weight. However it's been mentioned several places on the net that the IS motor in the 70-200mm F/4 IS USM is very noisy. I will be having a shotgun mic mounted on the camera, and I'm worried that it will pick up the IS motor noise.

Anyone here who have experience with the 70-200mm F/4L IS USM in regards to camera mounted microphones and the IS noise? Is it so bad that I'll have to suck it up and get the 2.8 Mk II version?

- Alex

Hey,
I have recently been out shooting with that exact same lens, and with the built-in mic you can definitely hear the IS. The way that I did it (=all the wrong ways) you can hear some noise while I focus, turn knobs on the body, the IS and so on.
As you might guess, video is not my strongest side... ;)

Had a good opportunity to shoot a short clip of calling frogs in a pond, but had to sit on a couple of wobbly tufts of grass right next to the pond, while concentrating on the camera, a dozen frogs, a handful of nearby snakes, some irritated Northern lapwings (nest rather close to the pond, and they didn't appreciate me), odd gusts of wind and probably a few other items that are clear evidence that I didn't do my homework before I went there.

You can watch the minute long clip and you will notice how much the IS can be heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AigSvot14IY
If you hear laughter while watching, it's probably coming from your side of the screen, but I toss that in for free. :)

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
AlexB said:
Hi guys

- Alex

Hey,
I have recently been out shooting with that exact same lens, and with the built-in mic you can definitely hear the IS. The way that I did it (=all the wrong ways) you can hear some noise while I focus, turn knobs on the body, the IS and so on.
As you might guess, video is not my strongest side... ;)

Had a good opportunity to shoot a short clip of calling frogs in a pond, but had to sit on a couple of wobbly tufts of grass right next to the pond, while concentrating on the camera, a dozen frogs, a handful of nearby snakes, some irritated Northern lapwings (nest rather close to the pond, and they didn't appreciate me), odd gusts of wind and probably a few other items that are clear evidence that I didn't do my homework before I went there.

You can watch the minute long clip and you will notice how much the IS can be heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AigSvot14IY
If you hear laughter while watching, it's probably coming from your side of the screen, but I toss that in for free. :)

Hey DominoDude, no laughter from my side.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the lens and the video clip. I can definitely hear the IS working, which is a bit disappointing as it's the only thing keeping me for buying that fine lens. Although while noisy, the IS does seem to be doing it's job very well.

Anyhow, looks like I have to go the more expensive route.

Thanks again DominoDude for sharing.

Upvote 0

TeenTog

Fear no man, for he bleeds just like you.
Jun 26, 2012
Palatine, Il
www.teentog.com
Upvote 0
hydrapenguin said:
Why not just by a third party Tamron or Sigma 70-200? I believe the f/2.8 versions are far cheaper than Canon's, and have good reputations. Here's a link to Tamron's SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892849-REG/Tamron_20_200mm_F_2_8_DI_VC.html

Thanks for the tip, hydrapenguin.

I generally don't like to go for third party options when it comes to lenses. That's just a personal preference due to various experiences over the past years. I already found a good deal on a used Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM, so I'm all set. :)

Upvote 0