How to defish architectural shots made with Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L?

Hi,

I am trying to use Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L to make some archictectural shots (façades of two or three story buildings in narrow alleys and very long façades in narrow alleys as well). What do you recomend to defish those images? I have already used my widest rectilinear lens (Sigma 12-24mm) but I still need a wider field of view, so I think a fisheye will be my best option.

Mar 26, 2014
Photoshop and DxO can both defish EF 15mm f/2.8 (discontinued) and equivalent, e.g. Sigma's 15mm. AFAIK, DxO can defish the EF 8-15mm f/4L as well. Don't know about photoshop.

Do note defishing those lenses will create problems in the corners, as they will be soft (due to oversampling) and have chromatic aberrations, so I suggest renting those lenses and defishing them, e.g. with trial software, to see what you can get in practice.

One can get nice results, though. I'm attaching a landscape I defished from an EF 15mm f/2.8. I had to crop a bit right & left, as the results were too bad to keep.

Attachments

• Defished.jpg
    Defished.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Hi,

I am trying to use Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L to make some archictectural shots (façades of two or three story buildings in narrow alleys and very long façades in narrow alleys as well). What do you recomend to defish those images? I have already used my widest rectilinear lens (Sigma 12-24mm) but I still need a wider field of view, so I think a fisheye will be my best option.
Personally I find stitching better than defishing. But when I want to defish I use Fisheye Hemi https://imadio.com/products/prodpage_hemi.aspx I like it particularly because it maintains perspective but straightens verticals. Take a look at it and the examples to understand what I mean, normal rectilinear corrections cut huge chunks off the corners and drag out the view in the corners so much they are not worth having.

Although it is a basic plug in there are many tricks you can do that will increase its utility and the output you get from it, you can even apply it twice to get full rectilinear, there are some great tutorials on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fisheye+hemi

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0