How to frame a good bird/animal shot

Jack Douglas said:
Back to the topic. I'm looking forward to more visual samples that illustrate the points that are being made. Looking for another REALLY good book suggestion cause two will get me free shipping on Amazon.
Hi Jack, just want to say that I'm learning a lot from everyone's opinion and perspective too. This is my favourite resource for wildlife photography ideas, examples and inspiration: -

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/wpy/index.html

Spending a bit of time learning to navigate the gallery rewards you with some exceptional wildlife photography. There is also a book produced each year highlighting the winning images which most libraries would hold. Sitting back and working out why each image "works" is a worthwhile exercise.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hillsilly, really good, thanks.

Still I'm hoping for some more specific examples accompanied by some comment as to why they do or don't work, like when privatebydesign placed the golden spiral on the sample shot.

I'm learning of course, but what this thread has done for me is give me renewed desire to alter (improve) what I now clearly recognize was not acceptable. IOW it's no longer acceptable to ME.

Anyone; too shy to post a shot and an opinion? Come on, lets have a look at it.

Jack

Upvote 0
I´m in my cabin, with only a laptop, so not many images to choose from. But to get it back to images, here is one very simple example, where I have just reframed the same image.

Why does the first one work and the other three not?

It would also be interesting to read what qualities you see in this image, beyond being just a boring gull in the air.

Attachments

• _D7T0317.jpg
    _D7T0317.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 169
  • _D7T0317-2.jpg
    _D7T0317-2.jpg
    753.6 KB · Views: 201
  • _D7T0317-3.jpg
    _D7T0317-3.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 196
  • _D7T0317-4.jpg
    _D7T0317-4.jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Eldar said:
And while I´m at it; These are two shots taken milliseconds apart. In my view, one is a rather thrilling image, whereas the other is just a butterfly. What is your views.

Agreed; the second image looks like it's from a fairy story ! The butterfly's position has given it a rather humanoid form, it's a superb shot, whereas the first is, like you say, just another butterfly shot with a shoot of grass in the way.

Upvote 0
Digigal, I really like your owl. That is a great example on a situation where symmetry works and of course, the intense look adds to the drama.

I´m not so fond of your framing of the eagle though. By having it center, it becomes an image of a flying eagle, but there is no story. I would have preferred a slightly wider perspective, with more room in front of the bird, to show where it´s going and give more dynamics to it.

Cropping off heads and legs, or any other part for that matter, seldom works. But the grey heron works for me. I think the other bird coming in from the side plays a vital part. But since we´re here to comment; It might be that a framing a bit more to the right, to reduce open air to the left could improve it, or maybe keep the framing, but crop a bit more horizontally on the left side.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
PropeNonComposMentis, with the clarification, I have no problem with everything you said and my read of your post was also just a little off. I like to think I'm good at reading between the lines but sometimes well ........ ;) BTW thanks for the encouragement.

Here's a rule for CR etiquette that I really struggle with - not being judgemental - shame on me! :( ;)

I go to bed and take 6 hours off and here I am trying to catch up with a lot more food for thought to digest. This thread will be getting revisited down the road when I need to reconsider.

Funny, Eldar, what did I do when looking at your butterfly first - this is revealing, I looked for what had changed but didn't even pick up on the feet, and noticed that the antennae were better in the first and bemoaned the grass distraction. Then I said hmm both look like "another butterfly picture". We're being honest here, right?! :-\ :-[

The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos is on it's way and should be here end of this week. Hope I don't start criticizing everyone after reading it - I'll try not too, promise.

Jack

Upvote 0

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Eldar said:
Digigal, I really like your owl. That is a great example on a situation where symmetry works and of course, the intense look adds to the drama.

I´m not so fond of your framing of the eagle though. By having it center, it becomes an image of a flying eagle, but there is no story. I would have preferred a slightly wider perspective, with more room in front of the bird, to show where it´s going and give more dynamics to it.

Cropping off heads and legs, or any other part for that matter, seldom works. But the grey heron works for me. I think the other bird coming in from the side plays a vital part. But since we´re here to comment; It might be that a framing a bit more to the right, to reduce open air to the left could improve it, or maybe keep the framing, but crop a bit more horizontally on the left side.
Hey, thanks for your comments, Eldar. I agree with the placement of the eagle and the herons but the use of the pictures prevented me from adding any canvas or cropping any differently in PS to make these a more artistic shot because they were just as I had used them in a wildlife competition. The eagle shot was taken from a moving boat in the middle of a fjord in Norway and the boat and bird were both moving so that my composition was compromised in that shot (excuses, I know, but I was happy I got the shot and I will have the ability to modify it to a stronger one artistically in PS).
See the attached unmodified picture I used in competition vs the more "artistic" one.
Catherine

Attachments

• SpoonbillFish.jpg
    SpoonbillFish.jpg
    871.5 KB · Views: 200
  • EurasianSpoonbill-Hungary.jpg
    EurasianSpoonbill-Hungary.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
Digigal - this is an example of missing virtual legs/feet. Your image makes me a little uncomfortable because I know this is a long-legged bird yet there is not enough space in the bottom of the picture for the legs and feet to be. It may just be my feeling but for me it's like cutting off body parts. As there was apparently sky above the brdl in the original image, you could perhaps have allowed more space below instead for where the legs would be if you could see them. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Upvote 0
Jane said:
Digigal - this is an example of missing virtual legs/feet. Your image makes me a little uncomfortable because I know this is a long-legged bird yet there is not enough space in the bottom of the picture for the legs and feet to be. It may just be my feeling but for me it's like cutting off body parts. As there was apparently sky above the brdl in the original image, you could perhaps have allowed more space below instead for where the legs would be if you could see them. Anyway, just my thoughts.
I like to apply the same principals to wildlife cropping as I do portraits. I try not to crop at the joints, toes, beaks, wing tips, etc. See the chart below - the same principals apply. When it comes to cropping off hidden feet, I agree that it's best to crop as if they were there, but I think digigal's photo still works well as the focus of the shot is the action, not the bird's body.

Digital_Camera_World_portrait_photography_crop_guide.png

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi All,

Was drawn away for a couple days but wanted to get back to Eldar's gull. The first the gull has space to fly into and it appears to me he could be headed downward so I'm guessing there needs to be space below. The wing-tips seem to follow the diagonal across the frame?? The lighting is high and such that there is quite a bit of contrast with the inner wing being very bright and engaging and the pose has some aesthetic appeal. And ...... you tell me.

The pair of gulls are nice because there is a kind of balance between the dominant lower bird and the upper bird and they are sitting in the right third's location. They also fall roughly along the frame diagonal and the V of the focal bird sits in the corner of the frame which I find appealing. What else?

Eldar, of course we all know there is no such thing as a boring bird .... well unless it's one I've posted too much! ;)

mackguyver, can you give a little explanation on you human form's use - red, no; green OK??

Jack

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
Here is one of mine. The bird was far out. You can see the settings and the crop I chose in the image below and the output from Lightroom. The first one is a screen capture. Comments and suggestions are welcome. I got the eye and the eye in the reflection on the right intersections of the 1/3rds.

Attachments

• FramingIt.jpg
    FramingIt.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 194
  • I7D_9376-2.jpg
    I7D_9376-2.jpg
    622.3 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
FWIW, rpt, here is my thought. I see it as being a good choice, virtually centered vertically considering the full reflection, giving space to the right and more based on intuition it does seem correct to show some of the reeds. The thirds part probably I'd not really recognize but maybe with practice.

Got my Freeman book and it is well worth the price so I'll hopefully become more capable in the days ahead. If this thread stays alive I believe it can be helpful to all of us who are new to the trade.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack, I'm glad you're enjoying the Freeman book. I broke mine out again as I haven't reviewed it in 4 or 5 years. Also, I'll continue the thread with additional and somewhat less conventional examples.

Please feel free to comment (good or bad):

1. Wood stork feet - Gatorland near Orlando, Florida
Gatorland_12-1-2014_14899-XL.jpg

2. American alligator scales (captive) - Tallahassee Museum, Tallahassee, Florida
i-77v3Zps-XL.jpg

3. Manatee mother & calf surfacing - Edward Ball Wakulla Springs State Park, Wakulla, Florida
i-N48L3f8-XL.jpg

4. American alligator sunning - St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, St. Marks, Florida
i-VrMhGdg-XL.jpg

5. Downy woodpecker - St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, St. Marks, Florida
i-F6L4kM5-XL.jpg

6. American alligators (captive) - St. Augustine Alligator Farm, St. Augustine, Florida
i-RDL388b-X2.jpg

Upvote 0