How to not get beat up when photographing public places?

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Don't take photos of people in public unless you get signed permission. Many people are concerned about their photos showing up on the internet, and its a valid concern. If there are children with them, you could end up in trouble.

In some countries, you will end up in jail by photographing people without permission.

Claiming that you were not actually photographing anyone, is not going to be believable, if a person sees a camera pointed their way or toward their children.

As more and more so called street photographers take photos of people and children without their permission and post them on the internet, we will move closer and closer to totally restricting the use of cameras in public places.

[\soapbox]
sorry but this is nonsense real professionals have been taking photos of strangers for years i cannot believe you would say this.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
J.R. said:
bornshooter said:
Here is a street shot of a girl in prague a complete stranger let me tell you good looking girls love the attention :)

I guess you are right but trouble starts when their boyfriends don't like it.
i have never had problems yet..but when the time comes a smile really does work :)
and keep in mind if they attack you they are in the wrong you sue and get a few grand out of it lol

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
bornshooter said:
J.R. said:
bornshooter said:
Here is a street shot of a girl in prague a complete stranger let me tell you good looking girls love the attention :)

i have never had problems yet..but when the time comes a smile really does work :)

:D +1

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA
JoeDavid said:
My advice is to pick up a fellow photographer when you go out to shoot. It is weird but apparently two people with cameras is fine but one is suspicious these days...

+1 on that. I got tired of photographing southern CA coastline and beaches and I moved to northern CA where there are fewer people. Everyone in southern CA wants to pretend they are stars and out of thousands of people at the beach, they are the only ones being photographed. Boy what egos especially if they are young guys with their girlfriends so they can show off how macho they are. I'd keep my phone handy to dial 911 if the situation develops badly. I've never been physically attacked but I would press assault charges if I was.

Upvote 0
whats the old adage? "You kill more bee's with honey." Seriously though it's rather simple, don't be a d*ck and you should be fine. If someone asks you not to take a photo of them oblige. If they ask you to delete a photo of them oblige. Don't go all 007 and shoot from cars or behind bushes with long lenses into sensitive areas, be a man and walk right up to them. I've found most folks are more than ok with it if you approach them with a smile and tell them you like their look.

Upvote 0
From the original poster's description, if it kept happening to me like that, you can try carrying a copy of the 'photographer's bill of rights' and explain it to them that you meant no offense.

Alternatively, you could carry cards for an anger-management therapist . . . or possibly get business cards from the local police station before going out shooting after explaining that you're getting hassled, ask them to call and have it explained to them.

The world is full of jerks, and full of ways to deal with them.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2012
dstppy said:
From the original poster's description, if it kept happening to me like that, you can try carrying a copy of the 'photographer's bill of rights' and explain it to them that you meant no offense.

Alternatively, you could carry cards for an anger-management therapist . . . or possibly get business cards from the local police station before going out shooting after explaining that you're getting hassled, ask them to call and have it explained to them.

I think that would only antagonize them more...a genuine smile and cooperation always is the best route on the street.

Having said that... I absolutely love your status line ;)

dstppy said:
"Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)"

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
So I drive into the darkest corner of a parking lot way out in the middle of nowhere....set up the telescope, mount the camera, and am happily snapping away when I hear a LOUD voice say "SIR... STEP AWAY FROM THAT CANNON". I turn around and see two policemen and say "how can you tell I'm shooting Canon in the dark?" The closer policeman then says "SIR: STEP AWAY FROM THAT WEAPON". After a few tense moments they realize that I am not sitting with a cannon getting ready to lob projectiles at our nation's capitol but instead trying to photograph Saturn's rings.

Moral of the story: You can get into a lot of trouble when people with guns mistake what you are doing.

Second moral: Police can't tell the difference between a dobsinian telescope and a cannon in the dark.

LOL...great story! ;D

Upvote 0
As soon as you do anything that appears either defensive or antagonistic, the tension level goes up -- and that's the last thing you want.

Smile confidently and make nice. Or, as it says in the old poem, "Desiderata,"

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

dstppy said:

Upvote 0
bluegreenturtle said:
Weird - I shoot video constantly on streets and public places, and include people all the time. I'm not inconspicuous - I've got a huge video tripod with a fluid head on it. Nobody, other than drunks and crazy people has ever said a word in all the years I've been working. Occasionally people ask about my project, but they are friendly and interested.

I think the tripod has a lot to do with it. It's so big, the photographer is perceived as working openly, and as a pro.

My suspicion is the public has a certain perception of small camera might be spy, big camera might be paparazzi, but the tripod is reserved to studio or news photographers (= good old pros).

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
I hate people posng and smiling for me.

Yeah well, this subject didn't even know I had a camera - that was the point of my whole story. ::) This wasn't a "posng and smiling" shot. It was a street candid of a woman trying to entice the sale of her street yams. (Wait, that didn't sound quite right.)

Slate.com just published an interesting article about street photography in the 70's: http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2013/03/18/paul_mcdonough_new_york_city_1968_1971_documents_the_quirky_nature_of_new.html

Upvote 0
I used to bring my 500D + 28mm/50mm when I do street photography. One time, some guy got pissed and I can easily see some people sneering at me or covering their faces once they've seen me shoot near them. From then on, I just used my G11. People suddenly are more trusting. They don't shy away from my camera. They even pose when I asked them nicely.

Conclusion? It must be my camera. :)

Upvote 0
bornshooter said:
J.R. said:
bornshooter said:

and keep in mind if they attack you they are in the wrong you sue and get a few grand out of it lol

not when they can sue you first... :)

Upvote 0
it's pretty simple in my opinon.
I shoot with a 50d and 24-70 2.8 so it's hardly a stealth thing
Be courteous, polite, apologetic, and comply regardless of region, country. I have shot in Japan, across Canada, Mexico, Brazil, across USA.
You are going to get a range of reactions from people, even varying reactions in the same area.
If someone intimidates me, I apologize and put the camera away and walk away. No shot is worth offending anyone or getting in a fight or a brawl.
Are you earning a living shooting street shots?
I have even deleted the picture in front of the person to show that I am not going to do anything.
If you publish a picture of someone without a release and the subject finds out, they can come after you. Find a good lawyer.
Easy to defuse a situation. I am never defensive nor aggressive. Show respect, apologize, delete the picture if requested, and walk away.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
In all the years I've been taking photos out and about, I have only once had someone come up in a belligerent manner.

Fortunately, I saw him approaching, guessed at his intentions, and when he got close, I politely asked him to please step aside so I could get a clear shot of the building I was photographing. The obvious anger disappeared from his face, and he stepped aside. And I took the picture.

One thing to keep in mind if the situation really goes to h*ll - your 5D3 with 70-300L weighs 2 kgs (4.4 pounds), and is on the end of a 3 foot tether. In cave man days, that would have been all you needed to feed the family...or deter a saber tooth tiger.

The likely damage to the camera is probably not covered by the warranty.

Oh, and after dark, a full power flash from any decent unit will temporarily blind anyone close. My Vivitar 283 saved me once or twice on trips to Philly.

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
verysimplejason said:
bornshooter said:
J.R. said:
bornshooter said:

not when they can sue you first... :)
sue you for what taking there photo? aren't you aware of the law?i can go in the street at least in the uk and taking photos of who i want if its in public i can photograph anyone whether they like it or not.you guys really have to watch more of bruce gilden eric kim guys like these.

Upvote 0