How to rotate video?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2011
UK
I hope this is in the correct forum.

I don't shoot hardly any video, but I shot a video on my 5DMkIII at an event recently ..... in portrait (upright) view. When it plays back, it plays back in landscape view and for the life of me I can't work out how to rotate it so that it plays back in the correct orientation.

I don't have any dedicated video editing software, so I'm reliant on CS5.5 extended. Is it possible to rotate video after it's shot and if so, how? I understand that CS5.5 extended supports video editing, but despite spending ages 'googling', I haven't managed to find out how to rotate a video :(

Dec 13, 2010
Freelancer said:
why would you do that?

if you rotate the video.. well it is rotated... unlike you shoot some abstract stuff i don´t see the sense in that.

if you shot a person walking... after the rotation the person would be 90 degree rotatet. think about it.

fact is you don´t shoot video in a horizontal position... not a slong as you don´t want to make an "artistic" statement.

You DO shoot in horizontal position, I'm sure you meant that as well..

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
ereka said:
I don't shoot hardly any video, but I shot a video on my 5DMkIII at an event recently ..... in portrait (upright) view. When it plays back, it plays back in landscape view and for the life of me I can't work out how to rotate it so that it plays back in the correct orientation.

If you just want to *play* it in the correct pos. then get vlc media player, then tools -> effects -> video -> geometry -> transform (rotate). Also great for watching movies when lying flat on the bed and being too lazy to lift the head :->

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2011
UK
Freelancer said:
of course..... i was a bit mixed up with what exactly he/she wants to achieve.

I wasn't really wanting to achieve anything specific ... it's just so happened that I was shooting stills in portrait orientation and when I had the bright idea of shooting a video of the same scene I carried on shooting in portrait. It was only later, when I played back the video that I discovered the problem. I won't make the same mistake again, but in the meantime I'd like to use the movie and therefore need to be able to rotate it.

Upvote 0

mws

Nov 9, 2010
Marsu42 said:
If you just want to *play* it in the correct pos. then get vlc media player, then tools -> effects -> video -> geometry -> transform (rotate). Also great for watching movies when lying flat on the bed and being too lazy to lift the head :->

+1, except that I spent more time looking on the internet on how to rotate the movie then I actually did watching the movie.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.