How to tell Micron-made Lexar cards from Longsys-made Lexar cards?

I bought a few Lexar SD cards a few months ago and am curious to know if they were made by Micron or Lexar's new owner, Longsys. The packaging says "Lexar by Micron," so I'm assuming that they're Micron-made cards. I'd imagine that even after Longsys took over, there's still a fair number of Micron-made cards still in stock in stores and distribution centres that have to move before the Longsys-made cards really hit shelves. However, I have yet to come across any Lexar packaging that does not say "by Micron" on it, so I'm a bit curious.

Any ideas?

Mt Spokane Photography said:
My Lexar Card says Micron on the mack of it, the new ones will probably just say Lexar.

I just checked my newer SD cards and the one I got back in 2013, none of them say "Micron" on the back. Though, I did notice that they were all made in Korea. I'd be curious to know if the Longsys cards are made in China.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
YellowJersey said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
My Lexar Card says Micron on the mack of it, the new ones will probably just say Lexar.

I just checked my newer SD cards and the one I got back in 2013, none of them say "Micron" on the back. Though, I did notice that they were all made in Korea. I'd be curious to know if the Longsys cards are made in China.

I use CF cards, I guess there is more real estate to put stuff on the rear. It also says Product of Vietnam. I took some quick shots, but on my desktop in low light and focus was off. Its not worth it to redo them, I'm in a hurry

Attachments

• lexar 128gb_0001.JPG
    lexar 128gb_0001.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 154
  • lexar 128gb_0002.JPG
    lexar 128gb_0002.JPG
    365.6 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0
The former execs and some engineers from Lexar formed a new company named ProGrade Digital that offers memory cards and other products for video and photo professionals (and enthusiasts!), with CFast and SDXC cards available at this time. I don't think they will bother to make CF, as that's a dying format and there's already too much product in that market segment as it is. As you can see, the cards resemble the Lexar cards in appearance and the price seems competitive. I don't know who is actually manufacturing the cards, nor have I used any of them or seen them in camera stores as a point of reference, but the group is brand new, so that's to be expected.

https://shop.progradedigital.com/

Upvote 0