Germany
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi AAPhotog.
I can’t comment on the ND filter question, what I can tell you is I had a Tiffen UV filter and put it in the bin after a week as it was not worth keeping, all sorts of issues, difficult to clean, reflections (ghosting) due to possibly not being multicoated and stiff threads.
I think there are two qualities of Tiffen filters and although I paid enough at a local shop for quality I think I got the cheap version!
I have Hoya UV filters on all my lenses now, no such issues plus Hoya do a thin mount in the UV filter range too.

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I will not give any vote, as I don't posess any of those two brands (Hoya/Tiffen) on my own.
What Iwant to give you is at least this review about 10 stop NDs
https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx

If you already knew this, good.
If not, feel free to take it into account as well.

Agreed! I have the 10 stop ND filter from Breakthrough. It's a superb (& superior) product. I have used several other filter brands, but Breakthrough is better than any others.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Agreed! I have the 10 stop ND filter from Breakthrough. It's a superb (& superior) product. I have used several other filter brands, but Breakthrough is better than any others.
I wasn't refering to the "Breakthrough ND" but you can see the differences between the tested Tiffen and Hoya as well.

Edit: It is not 100% clear which Tiffen filter model was tested. the cheap one or the one with the same price as the Hoya.
TDP is linked to the cheap one at B+H.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Neither
Singh-Ray or B+W
When you think about the mentioned
price bracket
by the OP I'd say the $380 for a Singh-Ray (77 mm at B+H) compared to the $120 for a Hoya (77 mm at B+H) are a totally different league.
Even the $180 for the Breakthrough is still some 50% more expensive.

Upvote 0
When you think about the mentioned by the OP I'd say the $380 for a Singh-Ray (77 mm at B+H) compared to the $120 for a Hoya (77 mm at B+H) are a totally different league.
Even the $180 for the breakthrough is still some 50% more expensive.

I agree with that, they are in a different league.
We spend over a thousand for the best L glass we can get to get a small increase in IQ, then we buy a economy filter to put on it.
To me that logic doesn't make sense.
FWIW I have used and owned all four brands for one purpose or another.
I wouldn't buy Hoya or Tiffen again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I wasn't refering to the "Breakthrough ND" but you can see the differences between the tested Tiffen and Hoya as well.

Edit: It is not 100% clear whicht Tiffen filter model was tested. the cheap one or the one with the same price as the Hoya.
TDP is linked to the cheap one at B+H.

Yes, I realise you were not specifically referring to (or endorsing) the Breakthrough ND filter.

My "agreed" was referring to considering other options, and how useful that ND filter view is.

The $180 Breakthrough ND filter in my experience is significantly better than the best Tiffen ND filter.

Putting a $180 filter in front of glass worth around $1k (or more) makes sense... saving $60 for a cheaper filter, which comes with noticeable reduction in image quality isn't worth it, imho.

Regards,
PJ1974

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0