I bought a 24-70mk1 and it is working perfectly fine now but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Everything wears out over time. There are mechanical parts internal to a lens that wear, but nothing to worry about, just have a clean and check done every 25-50K shots, they will lube it and note any parts that are badly worn, which is unlikely.
What does cause issues is droppage, or even a sharp rap can crack internal parts, or decenter elements.
I've had five of the 24-70mm L lenses, none were worth the price I paid, my 24-105 was far better IQ wise.

Upvote 0
C

canonian

My copy of the original 24-70mm f/2.8 was great for the first few years but then became soft unless I stopped down to around 5.6 which is unacceptable IMO.

Sent it in to get calibrated 3 times. First CPS who actually made it worse so I sent it back and it was a "little" better. About 6 months later it started getting soft again. I could't stand it so sent it to a very reputable guy in NJ who is an ex-Canon employee and is well known for his excellent work on Canon gear, especially lenses. I got it back and it was good again but not quite as good as when I first purchased. I knew it wouldn't last so when the vII was announced, I sold it on ebay.

I hope this long fricken' wait is worth it.

Upvote 0
Roger Cicala of LensRentals have explained why & how the 24-70 go 'soft' in the long end in this article:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/10/the-limits-of-variation
I had my 24-70 checked and they replaced 3 bushings. Waiting for the lens get through the line and the workshop: 3 days. Actual work time: less than 1 day.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.