I can't believe I bought a $2000 prime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
photophreek said:
The quickest way to get over that "what the hell did I just do" feeling regarding the purchase of the 85L II is to attach it to your camera and just stare at it.
Nah, there is a quicker way...stare through it instead.
I spent quite a long time debating on paying £3300 for the 300 f/2.8, then it went up by £500. Luckily, I found a used (barely, apparently it had been taken out of the case twice) mint copy for £2800 (about $4500). Needless to say, I didn't think very long that time.

Upvote 0
Hi, I know the feeling very well. In November I bought the TS-E 24L II, my most expensive lens so far. For months I wanted this lens but a new one costs about 1900€ (~$2500). To get a used one is almost impossible. Then I found an ebay auction one night and did not think twice. I got it used for 1640€ (~ $2000). It came from a small camera shop which opened the box maybe once or twice. The lense arrived in a perfect condition and I couldn't tell it from a new one. After the first shots I'm really in love with the lense and never gonna sell it again. The lens is worth every cent and will probably last a lifetime. And I can sell it for them price like I bought it...

When I bought my first DSLR in a kit (450D + EF-S 18-55 + EF-S 55-250) I was much more sure to spend the 800€, although with an income of a student it was a lot of money for me. I never did regret more a purchase than this one. The 450D is great but both lenses were a totally waste of money... Since this purchase I bought all new lenses and even my 5D Mark II as used. It saved me a lot of money (20-40% depending how lucky I was) and the loss is not that great if I regret a purchase once again.

Upvote 0
Dang. Man, I took the plunge about a year ago and bought a 24-70mm and 70-200mm f2.8 IS II. Looking back I wish I'd gotten two primes. Probably the 85mm f1.2. That thing is beautiful.

One day I'll be a prime shooter except for the 70-200mm. I'd love to have 24mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, 85mm f1.2 and 135mm f2.

I understand regret but what a great lens man. Congrats.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
RobertG. said:
Hi, I know the feeling very well. In November I bought the TS-E 24L II, my most expensive lens so far. For months I wanted this lens but a new one costs about 1900€ (~$2500). To get a used one is almost impossible. Then I found an ebay auction one night and did not think twice. I got it used for 1640€ (~ $2000). It came from a small camera shop which opened the box maybe once or twice. The lense arrived in a perfect condition and I couldn't tell it from a new one. After the first shots I'm really in love with the lense and never gonna sell it again. The lens is worth every cent and will probably last a lifetime. And I can sell it for them price like I bought it...

When I bought my first DSLR in a kit (450D + EF-S 18-55 + EF-S 55-250) I was much more sure to spend the 800€, although with an income of a student it was a lot of money for me. I never did regret more a purchase than this one. The 450D is great but both lenses were a totally waste of money... Since this purchase I bought all new lenses and even my 5D Mark II as used. It saved me a lot of money (20-40% depending how lucky I was) and the loss is not that great if I regret a purchase once again.

For anyone else looking for a good used deal on the TS-E 24mm, Lensrentals sells them quite often, they actually have one now : http://www.lensrentals.com/buy/canon-ts-e-24mm-f3.5l-ii-serial-number-12996

Upvote 0
martinelliminimo said:
So I just purchased the 85L ii a couple days ago from BH and it came out to a total of $1860. And while I'm anticipating it's arrival, I'm like... "man, that's really expensive." Could have bought a Philip Bloom Pocket Dolly, 85 1.8 and a 135L w/ that money. Theses stupid mind games big companies use against you.... I have an L addiction.

I spent over 5,000 on a prime last summer...

Upvote 0
B

BornNearDaBayou

I nearly freaked out when I dropped $1,300 for my 35L. Ha. It is so worth it, though. What an amazing piece of glass.

I probably would have found the 85/1.2 Mk 1, or the Sigma 85 1.4. That's just me, though. Also, the 135/2.0 is supposed to be every bit as good as the 85/1.2. I think you will greatly enjoy this lens and knowing how it holds such great value, you didn't really lose a dime. Well, maybe a dime but you catch my drift.

Enjoy and post some pics when you can. I wanna see that Excellent Color Rendition of the 85L. I know my 35L produces some amazing shots. I love the colors and contrasts

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.