I don't normally do a lot of macro....

...but I like the sharpness of macro lenses. I have been playing with my new 100mmL macro though:

I'm finding macro work quite fascinating. None of these are technical masterpieces or anything but just me getting to know it a little better:

Canon 5D mk III EF 100 f/2.8L macro at f/7.1 1/640 ISO 250 handheld

forget-me-nits-with-raindrops by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Same camera/lens, f/8 1/200 ISO 800 handheld

forget-me-nots! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I found sand particularly fascinating!

f/16 1/40 Handheld ISO 250

sand! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

O

Orion

I do LOTS of macro . . . here is my latest using 100mm f/2.8 +36mm ext (Kenko) + 5DmkIII

this otherwise tiny flower is only about 6-8mm from petal to petal

icon_all_rights.png
All rights reserved by Valentino Antonio Photography

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
itsnotmeyouknow said:
I'll have to figure out focus stacking. Have never done it before

I've done it with either Helicon Remote (needs a attached laptop) or Magic Lantern which does the same thing, is free and just needs the camera & a tripod. Assemble with Helicon Focus.

However there's one catch, the reason for which there are macro slides: When doing focus stacks from a stationary tripod, the field of view / magnification changes with the focus - so when assembling there's missing data you cannot conjure up later when an object is far up front of the focus zone, this shows as a blur around this object. You can postprocess-coverup this, but only to some extent.

Upvote 0
Just come back from a weekend in Dubai. Unfortunately there were sandstorms no opportunity to take photographs of the skyline, even at night except last night when we had no time before our flight home.

We spent a few hours making the most of the sun and heat (33 degrees) at the Sheraton resort at Jumeirah Beach. I only brought the one lens with me (my 24 - 70L) and spotted this Red Veined darter on one of the sunbeds taking in the rays. I regretted not having my macro with me but as we were originally returning to our hotel 36km away in Deira for a safari trip I elected to take only 1 lens with me to the beach. I think the 24 - 70 proved a very useful tool even so, and the dragonfly was a willing model.

Canon 5D mk III EF 24 - 70L @ f/13 and 70mm ISO 250 1/640

Dubai-critter-enjoying-the-sun by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Upvote 0
itsnotmeyouknow said:
...but I like the sharpness of macro lenses. I have been playing with my new 100mmL macro though:

I'm finding macro work quite fascinating. None of these are technical masterpieces or anything but just me getting to know it a little better:

Canon 5D mk III EF 100 f/2.8L macro at f/7.1 1/640 ISO 250 handheld

forget-me-nits-with-raindrops by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Same camera/lens, f/8 1/200 ISO 800 handheld

forget-me-nots! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I found sand particularly fascinating!

f/16 1/40 Handheld ISO 250

sand! by singingsnapper, on Flickr
One thing I like about macro, is that you are often surprised at the small details that you wouldn't normally see. Insects are especially surprising, because you don't normally get the chance to seee them while they are still, but even flowers show up tiny details you would normally overlook and some everyday images can make striking abstracts. I like to use selective focus, rather than worry about the lack of depth of field, I often embrace it to try to be more creative. I've even used the 135mm at near 1:1 and f/2 (using extension tubes) on wood sorrel, where the depth of field is about the thickness of one of the petals. I haven't had a chance to try some more like that, but I intend to.

Upvote 0
While in Seoul, I went to the main camera shop area of the city, and had a look for lenses that would be of interest. I found a few examples of the EF 180L macro around at various ages and prices, and also had a look at the tamron 180 f/3.5 macro, which although it was very sharp, the focussing motor was pretty loud on it. The price was a little more than the second hand 180L I bought in the end. This was my first real shoot using it as a macro lens:

Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L macro. f/16 1/250 ISO 800

fly-in-the-garden by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Upvote 0