"I forgot!" What lens or lenses do you own that you've forgotten?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
This includes things such as the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 pancake which I don't think I have used even once for real photography (I've thrown it on a camera to test it, but that's all).

Curious how many '7D and nicer' body owners with let's say 10+ Canon EF/EF-S lenses opted into buying either of the EF / EF-S pancake offerings. My guess is over half. Dirt-cheap, sharp as hell, and a chance to experience our 'chunkier' rigs in lighter / more discreet context.

Yet those same people likely have f/2.8 zooms or even faster primes that cover those pancake FLs -- and those lenses have IS, USM, distance scales, and they are not FBW.

So I'm guessing those two pancake lenses get forgotten a lot. Not for lack of value but because we have better overall options.

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
chrysoberyl said:
ahsanford said:
jeffa4444 said:
chrysoberyl said:
The Canon 100mm L macro. It was replaced by a Milvus 100mm Makro. I keep it only for portraits and it never gets used that way. But I can't see selling it for a big loss.

Interesting I used the Milvus recently and own the Canon 100mm f2.8L macro. For the life of me I could not really see a discernible difference on my Canon 5DS in Lightroom between the two lenses. The canon has autofocus which the Milvus doesn't have but the Milvus has a faster f stop at f2. I use the Canon for both macro and portrait and I consider it to be one of their best lenses so its not going in my cupboard!

The lens I use the least is the original 1988 EF 28mm f2.8, the focal length is covered by either the EF 24-70mm f4L or the EF 24-105mm f4L.

Milvus = 100mm f/2 + 1:2 macro - autofocus - IS

100L = 100mm f/2.8 + 1:1 macro + autofocus + IS

Chrysoberyl, the Milvus had better be Otus-good to justify all the red above. It's not even a macro lens in my book, and losing AF + IS effectively limits it considerably for my needs. I'll take the 100L as my macro / portraiture / video 'utility infielder' all day.

- A

I'm happy with the Milvus; it has 3X the DOF, is noticeably sharper, easier to focus and has better contrast. I'm not putting down the 100 L; I just like the Milvus better for wildflowers and macro. The 100L is yours for just $800...

I absolutely agree about the Zeiss , I have the Classic and my god it's wonderful. Never really liked the Canon L and my wife only used it for some food shots and I didn't like it and never used it. I stumbled across the Zeiss 100 f2 and bought one, and although my 35 and 200 sees more use and I sometimes thinking about selling the Zeiss I just don't. I go out for a walk with it and it's just sooo good in every way..

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
NancyP said:
Well I definitely remember my 40 mm f/2.8 pancake, even if it is a PITA to manually focus by wire. It is so light and small that it is easy to pop into a pocket, even if not intending to use that FL, just to have on hand "in case". I would have to say that the wider-than-20mm category gets left behind most of the time.

I don't forget I've got the 40mm pancake, but I keep losing the damn thing. It's so small and light it gets put in a pocket or drawer and then I send months looking for it before it mysteriously reappears.

I can't tell you how times I've looked for damn little pancake. It's so small and light that it can easily hide anywhere. I finally got tired of the cat and mouse game and stuffed it into a bright orange sock. I also bought some large white tube socks for other lenses. Works wonders for a little extra protection in the bag, light weight, and washable after a trip in dusty conditions. And when you need clean, dry socks...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
KeithBreazeal said:
Sporgon said:
NancyP said:
Well I definitely remember my 40 mm f/2.8 pancake, even if it is a PITA to manually focus by wire. It is so light and small that it is easy to pop into a pocket, even if not intending to use that FL, just to have on hand "in case". I would have to say that the wider-than-20mm category gets left behind most of the time.

I don't forget I've got the 40mm pancake, but I keep losing the damn thing. It's so small and light it gets put in a pocket or drawer and then I send months looking for it before it mysteriously reappears.

I can't tell you how times I've looked for damn little pancake. It's so small and light that it can easily hide anywhere. I finally got tired of the cat and mouse game and stuffed it into a bright orange sock. I also bought some large white tube socks for other lenses. Works wonders for a little extra protection in the bag, light weight, and washable after a trip in dusty conditions. And when you need clean, dry socks...

Funny.

I keep all my glass in a Pelican case except the pancake. It stays right on my desk by my monitor. It's too easy to mistake it for a lens cap/body cap combo in a dark bag/box.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
KeithBreazeal said:
Sporgon said:
NancyP said:

The orange sock's a good idea but how waterproof is the 40 ? In my house there's every chance it would get picked up and slung in the washing machine !

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
andrei1989 said:
Sporgon said:
The orange sock's a good idea but how waterproof is the 40 ? In my house there's every chance it would get picked up and slung in the washing machine !

that is one damn dirty sock at ~150g...

You don't know me mate ! ;)

Upvote 0