I guess there won't be any new lenses at CES?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think they are going to announce the 5D3 because Nikon stole their thunder with the D4 and the D4 doing f8 so now they are having to defend that decision, So dropping a 5D3 on everyone will be a nice "look a distraction" and will definately bring out the oooh ahhhs. of course then Nikon will drop the D800 and steal the thunder right back again :D aint competition fun?

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
I actually think they are going to announce the 5D3 because Nikon stole their thunder with the D4 and the D4 doing f8 so now they are having to defend that decision, So dropping a 5D3 on everyone will be a nice "look a distraction" and will definately bring out the oooh ahhhs. of course then Nikon will drop the D800 and steal the thunder right back again :D aint competition fun?

Been waiting so long that I don't want to get my hopes high for the 5D3 ... :(

Upvote 0
There is the other factor at play here.

There are no rules that say Canon MUST announce what they are planning on showing at CES before the show.

Imagine getting there at 9am or whatever time it opens and seeing people rush the Nikon display, then the rumble starts as people are whispering about the Canon stand.... you head over there to see a nice shiny new 5D3.

Suddenly by doing so they not only have taken a massive shine off of Nikon but "stole the show" as it were, with their surprise announcement.

And thats how these shows SHOULD be. They should be a place for "consumers" to go to and ooo ahhh over new gadgets they won't be able to afford for many years to come.

If they announced everything before hand then you could just stay home and read about it on the interwebs.

Upvote 0
C

cinemathique

There is the other factor at play here.

The most important factor is natural disaster. This is a company that had to shut down temporarily because of the devastation from a major Tsunami and suffer through continuous Earthquakes. I'm not certain, but they may also have had to forage through a limited supply of chips due to flooding in Thailand. It hasn't been an easy year for Canon.

Upvote 0
Well I did think it was odd that they extended the rebates on a bunch of lens from being the Sat. before the show till the beginning of Feb. hints at maybe a Canon reveal right after the rebates end.

In a related note, Monday the 9th having been a National holiday in Japan (think hordes of girls in kimonos who are all 20 years old storming shrines throughout japan), I didn't expect any announcements yesterday.

From some of the posts here of interviews with Canon, they keep re-iterating that CES is a consumer show I had expected new non-L/EF-S lens to be announced. Still have my hopes up that that will be the case. A new 50mm 1.4 would be nice as well as 30mm f2.

Upvote 0
S

SnapHappy

squarebox said:
From some of the posts here of interviews with Canon, they keep re-iterating that CES is a consumer show I had expected new non-L/EF-S lens to be announced. Still have my hopes up that that will be the case. A new 50mm 1.4 would be nice as well as 30mm f2.

Same here! I keep praying they release a response to Sony and Nikon's 35mm 1.8 at a similar price point. Yes I know there is already a 35mm 2.0 from Canon but I've used it and returned it shortly after. The thing is loud and soft until stopped down a few. Yes there is the Canon 28mm 1.8 but in my country that lens is close to $700. Yes there is a Sigma 30 1.4 and too be honest it's actually a fantastic lens optically, but the AF was hit or miss for me and wasn't worth the stress of not knowing if I got the shot or not, plus I'd like to stay with Canon for future reasons.

All I'd like is for Canon to release a fast prime lens in the 28-35mm range for us APS-C users. I know I'm not alone as this is something that has been wished by many a forum users for years. JUST DO IT ALREADY, Canon!

Upvote 0
SnapHappy said:
All I'd like is for Canon to release a fast prime lens in the 28-35mm range for us APS-C users. I know I'm not alone as this is something that has been wished by many a forum users for years. JUST DO IT ALREADY, Canon!

Yeah the pickins are slim in that range and the 24mm has all sorts of issues. I really want a 50mm equivalent lens on my kiss x4 so i just screw it and decided last week i'll be picking up the 35L 1.4 after CES is done from the states... Will be saving close to $700 but picking it up the U.S. (Japan is still charging close to $1900 USD for that lens...

Upvote 0
S

SnapHappy

squarebox said:
Yeah the pickins are slim in that range and the 24mm has all sorts of issues. I really want a 50mm equivalent lens on my kiss x4 so i just screw it and decided last week i'll be picking up the 35L 1.4 after CES is done from the states... Will be saving close to $700 but picking it up the U.S. (Japan is still charging close to $1900 USD for that lens...

Yeah that is a fantastic lens but for me it's just not worth it as I'm just a hobbyist and don't make money of my shots. My fiance would freak if I spent that much on a lens...lol

Might sound funny but I recently used a friends Nikon D7000 and 35mm 1.8G on a weekend night walk and have to say I was extremely impressed with the AF system compared to my Canon. If I don't hear of a new APS-C prime soon I may just jump ship. It's all about the tools and Nikon right now offers the tools I want.

Upvote 0
S

SnapHappy

treyconnally said:
I take it that since @canonrumorsguy said there were no more announcements from Canon that the post is done?

That is what I took away from that. Looks like there won't be anything in the way of EF-S lenses to talk about. Well I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Canon have been dragging their feet for the past few years allowing Nikon and even Sony to catch up. I've been shooting Canon since the day I started and I'm finally at a point where I like what Nikon has to offer more so than Canon... never thought that day would come.

Upvote 0
T

treyconnally

SnapHappy said:
That is what I took away from that. Looks like there won't be anything in the way of EF-S lenses to talk about. Well I guess we shouldn't be surprised. Canon have been dragging their feet for the past few years allowing Nikon and even Sony to catch up. I've been shooting Canon since the day I started and I'm finally at a point where I like what Nikon has to offer more so than Canon... never thought that day would come.

Yeah. I shot Nikon before I shot Canon; and wanted to move to full frame. No way you could beat the price of the 5DMKII compared to the D700. Obviously I have no way of actually knowing what is down the pipeline for Canon, but Nikon really hit the ground running at CES; and they came swinging! I have WWWAAAYYY too much money invested in Canon glass now to turn back around.

Do we have the dates for Photokina?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.