I have a 5D Mk III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple of tests related to memory I'd like you to try. Put the camera in large raw, shoot until the buffer fills and the time between shots increases.

How long till if finishes writing data out of the buffer onto the card? Can you test with your fasted CF & SD cards individually? Please name the cards so we have a frame of reference.

After doing that individually, please repeat the test using both cards at the same time, and the camera setup to write the same data to both cards.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
A

abouho

Sorry for the delay.

Here’s a flickr with JPEGs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57666803@N05/

And here are the raws:

http://dishclothsoup.com/100EOS5D/TN2C0001.CR2

Just replace the last 4 digits with ones from the flickr to get the corresponding raw files. Note that at some point, I set the camera to record raws and jpegs on separate cards and it turns out that you have to select one card to browse and delete from. That led to there being more raws than jpegs so feel free to try numbers in between the missing ones to get hidden raw files.

Almost all of the jpegs had weird color styles and in camera processing applied to them so don’t make any judgements based on them.

Some initial impressions:

-Build quality is amazing.

-Raw ISO performance seams to be 2 stops better than the mark 2. It’s not just the jpegs.

-The nasty color banding hasn’t been fixed. I noticed some in shadows at ISOs as low as 400.

-Other than that, IQ is indistinguishable.

-Auto focus isn’t as awesome as I expected it to be. I still found it struggling in low light but at least it always ended up focusing eventually instead of just giving up.

-Raw+Jpeg buffer is 7 shots on a 60mbps CF card and 6 shots if split amongst two card. Very disappointing.

More soon

Edit: Photos are still uploading. Might take all night.

Upvote 0

Z

Jan 15, 2012
abouho said:
Auto focus isn’t as awesome as I expected it to be. I still found it struggling in low light but at least it always ended up focusing eventually instead of just giving up.

I find this the most surprising of all, considering it's rated to -2EV like the 1D X. Are you sure you weren't expecting too much of it? Still, thanks for the initial impressions!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.