I Need a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lady

I was originally planning to just wait until I could afford a 580 flash, but I'm kind of getting desperate without a proper flash. I'd need it mostly for in doors situations (such as inside a horse barn or in my small 1500 square foot house). In the house I'd probably point it at the ceiling to light up the whole room instead of directly at something. I will mostly be using it at night, in rooms that are relatively small (largest one is my loft at 500 square feet). I shoot animals and people.

Should I still wait even though I wanted to to get a new lens, or is there one you guys can recommend to me that's cheaper?

it really depends if you need to use high speed sync

If you DONT need high speed sync
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yongnuo-YN-565-EX-TTL-Flash-Speedlite-Canon-5D-II-7D-30D-40D-50D-350D-400D-450D-/250976034954?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraFlashUnits_JN&hash=item3a6f56608a

these are pretty good at a third of the price keep in mind you will need to limit your shutter speed to your cameras xsync (for me this is a dealbreaker)

these ones willl do high speed sync
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissin-Speedlite-Di866-Mark-II-Flash-Canon-Digital-Camera-NEW-/280775058735?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item415f7f652f
but the price is getting up there I think for me i would go to a 430exii over these at this price

I use the yongnuo external battery packs on my 580exii flashes and they work great, I have heard lots of good things abut the yongnuo flashes, I dont think you can get bette value for money than the 565 as long as you can live without HSS

hope that helps

Upvote 0
Hi,

I needed something not too expensive and not too bulky to carry along, AND from the Canon line for full compatibility (including hi speed sync).

So I chose the 320EX.

Powerful enough for bounce lighting in most indoor locations.

Perfect company for my T2i, on the shoe or in slave mode, driven by an MR-14EX ring flash.

As a bonus, the 320 EX works as an infrared remote control to trigger an EOS body !

Also, reasonably sized to fit on my G12 and take nice shots with lo ISO settings, in professional or family situations.

Bought in France for half the price of a 580 EX, from this source :

http://www.digit-photo.com/Flashs_electroniques-aFA0018/

Quite pleased with that flash, really :)

Upvote 0
If you don't need TTL then the YN560 (different from the 565 mentioned above) is an amazing choice for about $70. They are serious workhorses with pretty much everything you need (unless you need TTL, of course), and pretty much the only thing I can fault them on is long recharge at full power. At anything below full power it's a non-issue. Very comparable to a 430EX II in what you can do with it, for about 1/3 the price.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Positron said:
If you don't need TTL then the YN560 (different from the 565 mentioned above) is an amazing choice for about $70. They are serious workhorses with pretty much everything you need (unless you need TTL, of course), and pretty much the only thing I can fault them on is long recharge at full power. At anything below full power it's a non-issue. Very comparable to a 430EX II in what you can do with it, for about 1/3 the price.

Does the YN560 support eTTL2 and being a wireless slave from the on board controllers?

Upvote 0
T

Tijn

430 II will do the flashing bit. If you have a 600D or 60D you'll be able to use the camera as a master and trigger the 430 II as a slave as well.

The 430 II can't be a master itself (triggering other flashes) though. Moreover, the buttons and config things are quite annoying. The 580 has very nice tactile buttons while the 430 has soft buttons that require a deep nail press in order to operate. As a flash it does its job quite well, but it's just not very nice to use. If you get quickly annoyed over these things... Think twice about the 430 (and perhaps consider different-make flashes as cheaper alternatives to the 580).

I got a 60D with 430 II, and it's fun to play around with using my camera as a master with the flash set up as a slave somewhere. Works wonderfully, quite good enough for some experimentation. Could be more friendly to operate button-wise. And I won't be using it in the splashing rain (it's not water resistant, unlike its 580 bigger brother), so this is fine for me.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
I would seriously reconsider getting a 580 EXII even if you have to wait longer or buy one used. I'm not a flash expert but I've been doing lots of studying and experimenting with flash and have found the 580 to be wonderful not only for its higher GN and features but mainly because of its wireless master function (I have 1 - 580 and 2 - 430s).

My only body is a 7D which can act as a wireless master but having the option for an off camera master via an extra long ETTL cord makes wireless flash almost limitless. With horse photography (assuming you have horses in the horse barn) I can only image the need for an additional flash and a way to trigger it.

Assuming you have the funds or can save up or buy used, these 3 items will do wonders and open up a whole new world of photography:

- 580 EX
- Extra long ETTL cord (go for the 33 footer)
http://ocfgear.com/cords-for-canon-ettl/ettl-cord-extra-long/
- Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2TYPNX0PC1DJI&colid=3FF643HN68I62

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

RC said:
I would seriously reconsider getting a 580 EXII even if you have to wait longer or buy one used. I'm not a flash expert but I've been doing lots of studying and experimenting with flash and have found the 580 to be wonderful not only for its higher GN and features but mainly because of its wireless master function (I have 1 - 580 and 2 - 430s).

My only body is a 7D which can act as a wireless master but having the option for an off camera master via an extra long ETTL cord makes wireless flash almost limitless. With horse photography (assuming you have horses in the horse barn) I can only image the need for an additional flash and a way to trigger it.

Assuming you have the funds or can save up or buy used, these 3 items will do wonders and open up a whole new world of photography:

- 580 EX
http://www.amazon.com/Speedliters-Handbook-Learning-Craft-Speedlites/dp/032171105X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2TYPNX0PC1DJI&colid=3FF643HN68I62

Why the long cord when the body has inbuilt wireless?

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Positron said:

Does the YN560 support eTTL2 and being a wireless slave from the on board controllers?
i dont think so that was the major complaint with it they are dirt cheap though and if used in manual with some poverty wizards can get some great results for not alot of money for people starting out with strobe

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Positron said:

No, they don't. As far as I know, optical slave/poverty wizards only.

Upvote 0

bonedaddy.p7

I Like Cheese
Jan 31, 2012
KY
www.flickr.com
wickidwombat said:
these ones willl do high speed sync
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissin-Speedlite-Di866-Mark-II-Flash-Canon-Digital-Camera-NEW-/280775058735?pt=Digital_Camera_Flashes&hash=item415f7f652f
but the price is getting up there I think for me i would go to a 430exii over these at this price

I've been looking to get an external flash or 3 as well, and the Nissin Di866MK2 looks pretty nice but I'm a bit puzzled why I don't see more about them, how do they stack up against the 580EXII? I was thinking of having one for on camera and 2 off camera and looking to save as much money while maintaining a decent level of quality and have some flexibility to have some fun with light in the woods at night or to have some..ummm...light light for controlling shots in shadows where a reflector won't just give me enough but I'm not somewhere I can take a full studio light (IE, no AC power)

Upvote 0
with the cost of the nissins i just decided that the risk of wasting that much money wasnt worth it so just got 580exii s either new or near new second hand if i can pick them up for a good price. i'm always on the lookout for good condition slightly used ones second hand. but they tend to get bid up to silly prices on ebay. might as well buy new ones from digital rev with the prices used ones go for on ebay. I'm also on the lookout for cheap 430exii but same deal often for a few bucks more you can get new ones from reputable ebay sellers

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
briansquibb said:
RC said:

- 580 EX

Why the long cord when the body has inbuilt wireless?

Lots and lots of reasons. I didn't realize how valuable this was until I started playing around with wireless flash The key is line of sight between your master and remote. Using your camera as the master really limits your options as where the slave units can be placed. Having the ability to move your master and change angles opens up all kinds of options as to where you place your slaves

For example:
- Firing a flash behind your subject that is out of the line of sight of your camera
- Firing a flash above, behind or anywhere you don't have line of sight
- Shooting into the sun make wireless flash very infective due to signal deterioration. Simply position your master so the sun is behind the master and you have restored effective out door wireless flash
- Maybe you have a couple of slaves outside a window which need to be triggered

The list goes on, if you are serious or just want to learn more, get Syl Arena's book

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.