IBIS coming to EOS M in 2020 [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Than you and Danglin are in for the upcoming R6. I do not understand the wish for EOS M in the size of the RP. EOS M is meant to be small and light and not for use with heavy telephoto zoom lenses like 100-400. Where is the logic in buying small and light and making it big and heavy again with such lenses plus a battery grip?

Canon both offer both the M6II, being small and light, and an M7, having a decent grip, while reusing a lot of components. I'd love to have a camera with the 'reach' of 32MP APS-C and 14fps, but a chunkier grip. With a smaller mount in a bigger body there's more space for things like a bigger EVF, more and bigger card slots, etc.

The M6II is great for macro, it balances relatively well with an MP-E 65mm or a EF-S 60mm + twin light, but it becomes really front heavy with the 100mm L. The RP is a lot better, but it's missing the FPS and raw burst features I'm using on the M6II to catch solitary bees taking off for flight.

The R5 rumoured specs are close to perfect, it has 'reach' as well as IBIS. If it lacks RAW burst the 8k video would be a nice stand-in to catch bees in flight. But I believe an M7 would be half the price of an R5, which would leave room in the budget to get some extra lenses, like the Laowa probe lens.

Anyway, both the R7 and new Ms will be available after bee and dragon fly season over here, so lots of time to start saving for spring 2021 purchases :)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Give me the M6 II capabilities, high performance / refresh rate EVF, weather sealing - I will place my order on announcement. Give me RP size body & IBIS and I will be even happier. I want to use this camera as a backup for my 1dx II when I am weight restricted on gear during wildlife trips. I also get benefit from the 1.6x crop if necessary.
That's exactly my point of view!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
i do agree that an EOS M7 should be (at least) on par with Fuji XT-4. But since i have small hands and travel and mountaineer and ski ... i'd prefer it to be as compact and light as possible. :)
Sorry, but I hate baby-cameras with tiny controls. The Olympus I bought for "everyday" use gets no use at all, though I know that many love it for its size...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Sorry, but I hate baby-cameras with tiny controls. The Olympus I bought for "everyday" use gets no use at all, though I know that many love it for its size...

If there are enough people who feel this way then Canon will produce a camera suitable for you. Maybe a more chunky EOS M.

But I suspect the economics favour the smaller camera because most people prefer compact.

Upvote 0
R5 price will be like 5k on europe ,no really half serious hobby bird photographers camera. M7 could be 1k

yes, R5 will be extremely expensive. Not least thanks to the cost of putting crazy 8k video into it, which 99% of the "7D" stills shooter audience does not need.

Also, "1k" is totally unrealistic. 6D II is USD 850 MSRP - without any viewfinder = unfit for "typical 7D" usage scenario. Kit with EVF (and 15-45) is USD 1100 already. An M7 with IBIS, duals SD UHS-II slots, weathersealing and built-in EVF will be quite a bit higher.

7D II was USD 1799 MSRP at launch in 09/2014. And Fuji X-T4 is USD 1699 MSRP at launch. An EOS "M7" on par with X-T4 will/would come in between at best 1599 and 1899, body only.

On the EOS R side, R6 is the odd duck rumor. 20MP just does not make any sense to me. I'd rather be interested in
1. "entry level" EOS RP II at USD 999, re-use EOS R/5D IV 30 MP sensor one more time, no IBIS, small form factor but LP-E6 type battery and
2. "hi-rez" EOS R successor, below R5, stills-oriented, 50-60 MP, could come in at USD 2999, if they skimp on video specs.

Upvote 0
Canon, stop keeping your M fans hungry on a lens plan! Give a pair of lenses 10-70 / 3.5-4.5 and 70-350 / 4-5.6!

no thanks. Not any more variable aperture zooms that go to small aperture already 5 mm into focal range. And a 70-350/4-5.6 is not doable in a size approrpiate forEOS M lineup. Just look at the EF 70-300 size - and add another 50mm focal length. :oops: No way.

Canon won’t get any more of my money until a quality normal zoom lens is released.

yep. a compact, excellent IQ, constant aperture and yet affordable EF-M 15-60/4.0 IS STM would be good.

Upvote 0

Philrp

Waiting patiently for my APS-C EOS R
Sep 2, 2018
Just an FYI about 7D owners and why we liked them. And why we are not thrilled with the M series (I say "we" as i've known a few, but that certainly does not include everybody who owns a 7D)

7D offered:
1- Canon 1DX features: speed, focus points, joystick, etc etc etc
2- Priced for non pros thanks to the Crop sensor
3- Many bought quality EF lenses, and not EF-S

Right now, there is nothing in Canon's lineup that addresses this segment. Buying an M camera would be fine, with my existing EF glass, but what new glass can I really buy for it? Not buying M lenses to go along with my 70-200 2.8 II, that's for sure.

I really suspect Canon will combine APS-C and RF mount, but how and in which line remains the question.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Just an FYI about 7D owners and why we liked them. And why we are not thrilled with the M series (I say "we" as i've known a few, but that certainly does not include everybody who owns a 7D)

7D offered:
1- Canon 1DX features: speed, focus points, joystick, etc etc etc
2- Priced for non pros thanks to the Crop sensor
3- Many bought quality EF lenses, and not EF-S

Right now, there is nothing in Canon's lineup that addresses this segment. Buying an M camera would be fine, with my existing EF glass, but what new glass can I really buy for it? Not buying M lenses to go along with my 70-200 2.8 II, that's for sure.

I really suspect Canon will combine APS-C and RF mount, but how and in which line remains the question.

Cheers!

there is (highly likely) an in-built x1.6 crop mode in upcoming R5, 45MPs sensor. equivalent to around 18MP APC-S. with 12FPS mechanical shutter, joystick, dual memory cards, 5 series level ruggedness and weather-protection, excellent AF( animal eye AF) and compatibility to EF glass.
and a higher resolution Canon RF camera is likely to be released in 2021.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
yes, R5 will be extremely expensive. Not least thanks to the cost of putting crazy 8k video into it, which 99% of the "7D" stills shooter audience does not need.

Cost of adding 8K video recording to a camera which already has the suitable throughput for coping with it is pretty close to zero. The throughput that's needed for 8K is also what's needed for the high framerate at high resolution.

Taking it out of the R5 would probably save $10 on the price, if that, and that's only due to needing one less button and maybe a smaller heat sink.

Please stop with all the R5 price scaremongering nonsense. We'll know soon enough.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Cost of adding 8K video recording to a camera which already has the suitable throughput for coping with it is pretty close to zero. The throughput that's needed for 8K is also what's needed for the high framerate at high resolution.[..]

And if it's RAW video like on the 1DX3, the software work is on the computer side, DPP and the FCP-X plugins, not on the camera side. It is virtually the same thing Magic Lantern has been doing on the Canon cameras it supports: dump the sensor info straight to the card, up to 100MBytes/s for good old CF.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see Canon make an EOS-M version of the R5. All the same specs and features but with a crop sensor and a smaller body.
The M mount lenses are actually quite nice and deserve a really good body. I have the 11-22 IS, the 22 f/2, and the 32mm f/1.4 (my favorite).
I also have a Samyang 12mm f/2. And Canon is planning other nice little primes ... These lenses deserve a great body, and this makes an awesome compact travel package!

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018

Also, "1k" is totally unrealistic. 6D II is USD 850 MSRP - without any viewfinder = unfit for "typical 7D" usage scenario. Kit with EVF (and 15-45) is USD 1100 already. An M7 with IBIS, duals SD UHS-II slots, weathersealing and built-in EVF will be quite a bit higher.

7D II was USD 1799 MSRP at launch in 09/2014. And Fuji X-T4 is USD 1699 MSRP at launch. An EOS "M7" on par with X-T4 will/would come in between at best 1599 and 1899, body only.

On the EOS R side, R6 is the odd duck rumor. 20MP just does not make any sense to me. I'd rather be interested in
1. "entry level" EOS RP II at USD 999, re-use EOS R/5D IV 30 MP sensor one more time, no IBIS, small form factor but LP-E6 type battery and
2. "hi-rez" EOS R successor, below R5, stills-oriented, 50-60 MP, could come in at USD 2999, if they skimp on video specs.
Nah M serie camera wont get double cards and weather sealing .
How about 6dxii price +evf+ibis +digicX=1200 USD

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
yep. a compact, excellent IQ, constant aperture and yet affordable EF-M 15-60/4.0 IS STM would be good.

There may be a reason that there aren’t many EF-M or EF-S F4 constant max aperture zooms. Maybe there is a problem putting F4 constant max aperture into the equation with compact, excellent IQ and yet affordable, especially at aps-c sales volumes.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I have been playing with my M6 II a bunch lately. It is very impressive. For those questioning its IQ, if nothing else, check out photons to photos and you'll see it has higher DR than the 5DIII up to ISO 640. I am finding the noise very manageable.

For native lenses I am finding the AF very good. Move over to adapted EF lenses, and it loses a bit, but is still good (still forming my opinion here).

But, overall, improve the AF a bit with adapted EF lenses in this higher end M, you have one heckuva camera. Add in IBIS, better. Built in EVF is personal preference.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Speed is the big one, AF/Tracking ability is the second. Usability the third. So yes I would actually think it's signifigantly better - And if anyone says the IQ on the R is better than the M6 II well... I'm calling BS. Only under higly specific circumstances is the R better, esp given its not in any shape new re: processor. The only places the M6 II is behind is due to the basic frame it's in.

----

On a theoretical camera above the M6 II, I cant really see it being a genuine 7D II replacement. I tend to think that if they do a APS-C prosumer it'll be more likely a R7. As good as EF adapters are, I just cant see a 7D II style camera in the M line (7D style being more than just a camera with dual slots and a body that can be used as a weapon - it's effectively a cut down 1D in APS-C packaging)

It *will* have the M6 II's image processor, no doubt. The EVF will be intergrated. It will support far more with the hotshoe and connectivity. But M? No. If we ever see a 7D successor (C'mon Canon you know this would be a hot seller!) it will be in a R body. But as already pointed out ... unless the R5 isnt 100% war proof its the real 7D repalcement.

When it works as well in real life and real shooting, then there is great logic in it.
Great thanks for sharing your opinions. Now, I'd love to hear about your shooting experience with the EOS R. I see you have an M6ll so you have real world experience with that, just wanted to know how you came to your conclusions. One by using the other by reading perhaps? Also some R users might want to chime in to give me a more complete picture.

Upvote 0