IBIS is coming to select next generation Canon DSLRs [CR2]

Feb 28, 2013
drag to focus is better for me in almost every situation. any other situations, I use the directional keys in conjunction with the rear screen drag to focus.
I find that if my nose touches the screen the focus moves its very annoying. I usually disable drag focus. The directional keys are slower to use than a joystick which has greater finesse. My main camera is the 5DS and the EOS R is the only Canon camera in 40 plus years that irritates me. The minute Canon bring out a professional R series camera with a toggle switch the EOS R will be traded.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I find that if my nose touches the screen the focus moves its very annoying. I usually disable drag focus. The directional keys are slower to use than a joystick which has greater finesse. My main camera is the 5DS and the EOS R is the only Canon camera in 40 plus years that irritates me. The minute Canon bring out a professional R series camera with a toggle switch the EOS R will be traded.
The only way I could deal with the touch and Drag AF on the M5 was to set it to just the right 1/3 of the screen. Not sure what other brands and models allow a partial setting like that but it saved me with the tiny ergonomics and such. I'm one of those waiting on future R models to see if I will buy into the system as well or stay with tyhe future 5D series. (Of which I know they will be around for some time)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The only way I could deal with the touch and Drag AF on the M5 was to set it to just the right 1/3 of the screen.
I've never used an M, so I don't know if the smaller body makes a difference, but I've found the touch focus one of my favorite features on the R. I've also set it for the right half of the screen. When I first picked up the R, I hated that it didn't have a joystick. Now, I hate that I have to rely on a joystick to move the autofocus points on my DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Wrong. Sony bought into Olympus (its now exited most of its holding) and uses a system similar to Olympus.

That did occur, but Sony had IBIS in their cameras many years before that occurred and Minolta, which later became Sony's camera division, was the first to bring the technology to market. The first consumer ILC with IBIS was the Minolta 7D which was released in 2004 although I don't believe they invented the technology; I think it was Epson or HP that actually invented it. Olympus didn't introduce IBIS into an ILC until 2007 with the E-510.

Upvote 0
What Olympus put me off with was the menu system, simply horrid.

It really is. They finally got around to ripping off the My Menu feature from Canon which helps quite a bit but they still have one of the worst, if not the worst, menu structures out of all manufacturers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
One thing you can be sure about with Canon is that they won't launch a technology that doesn't work. They are ultra cautious when it comes to leading edge stuff hence limiting 4k in no small part due to heat concerns. If they put IBIS in a flagship camera it will work and it will be solid and reliable.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Looking forward to seeing how the IBIS performs! For years now I’ve been meaning to upgrade my 100mm f2.8 to the L IS version but haven’t ever gotten round to it. I might not have to bother after all now!

Funny I just did this. Took advantage of the recent sale and a Canon code to pick up the 100L 2.8 for $624. Very happy with the upgrade.

Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Funny I just did this. Took advantage of the recent sale and a Canon code to pick up the 100L 2.8 for $624. Very happy with the upgrade.
Cool! How does it compare to the non L version? I’ve heard people say its on par sharpness wise but contrast is better. I’d certainly appreciate the weather sealing though!

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The RP is really a full frame rebel camera with the 6D MKII sensor (its like Canon have tried to up sell).
Upsell? The 6D Mark II was $2k at release. The RP is $1,299 and came with a free adapter and grip extension. :unsure: Seems like Canon gave everyone a huge price break. In another year the RP will probably be under $1k.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Cool! How does it compare to the non L version? I’ve heard people say its on par sharpness wise but contrast is better. I’d certainly appreciate the weather sealing though!

My 100mm non-L was about 13 years old, so it might have degraded over time. The 100mm L I bought a few months ago is better pretty much every way, it's sharper in the center at MFD, the USM motor is quieter, it has IS (which isn't quiet) and the lens hood is both included and sturdier. The only downside for me is that I have to screw on the macrolite adapter to use the MT24 and MT14 flashes, the EF-s 60mm and 100mm non-L have those builtin. With the adapter mounted you can't use the lens cap :/

Since I alternate between the 100mm and MP-E 65mm a lot, for me, the new Laowa 100mm would have been a better choice since that goes from infinity to 2x, the 100mm L only to 1x, the MP-E can't do infinity.

Upvote 0