I'd like a canon with an android os embedded.. any thoughs

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The problem with having android as a primary OS is that it's not a lightweight 'instant' OS. You turn on your camera and you'd have to wait a significant time for android to initialize before you could take any photos.

The second problem is that android would eat up resources that would potentially be available for frame buffer storage.

The trick is to have dual OS, with the canon firmware as the primary OS with android loadable on demand. Android if loaded would reduce your image buffer size but give you greater flexibility with being able to upload to online services, use android-based image manipulation tools and, most importantly, play Angry Birds on your camera :)

I do see a great advantage in this and I am sure it will come.

Upvote 0
Is'nt it about time that someone produced a decent camera body with an android os built in. this would enable so many customization options. ....
Why not? Android was designed around the ARM architecture and is a perfect fit for ARM processors such as Canon's Digic processors which are essentially ARM based. The new ARM 76 series (e.g. V76 VPU) have enough power to playback 8K video. Perhaps, what is called computational photography can be put into the camera effectively. In theory, it is possible to port Android to any ARM platform. But in practice, it may take a long time to see it actually happening.

Upvote 0
Is'nt it about time that someone produced a decent camera body with an android os built in. this would enable so many customization options. I'm a sports photographer in calgary alberta my website is http://www.gamefacephoto.ca. if anyone has any comments I'd sure like to know.

By all means! Please NOOOOOOO Android EOS!!! Don't listen to those wannabe nerds! Android Sony TV - sucks! AndroidAcer Tablet - sucks! Android Fossil Watch Exploits - sucks.... Fed up of Android gear.... pure garbage! Doesn't have to be IOS either. Canon should just stick to their core abilities.

Upvote 0