If the EF Mount Is Phased Out, What to Do With Quiver?

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
These are not good analogies for those who believe that FF mirrorless will result, over time, in a paradigm shift...

I don't see how substituting an electronic viewfinder for an optical viewfinder can possibly be viewed as a "paradigm shift." When, and if, the mirrorless shift happens it will be in Canon's best interests to make it as seamless as possible. You seem to be stuck on the idea that Canon would purposely disrupt their user base for no logical reason. I think Canon is smarter than that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
nothing attract me less than an "electronic viewfinder"...
the joy of the reflex camera is to see reality as it is. sometimes I see spectacles quite entirely in my viewfinder, great binoculars!
as for an electronic viewfinder, we have already the digital "live view". I use it sometimes, while using manual lenses, or in the night.
to have only an electronic viewfinder would be a step back, not forward for me.
in addition, I really don't like it, I tried and hated it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
[a] 3rd party [Metabones et al.] cross-company mount adapters with very different mount geometries - both factors present much more risk for mis-alignment than a original Canon-to-Canon adapter.

Why? Regardless of whether it’s cross company or not, and a different mount on each side, the parallelism is understood. Sure Canon may have a different requirement than Sony(parallel to within .0003 versus .0002, or something), but the company fabricating something like this isn’t going to struggle with parallelism due to the geometry of what’s on the parallel faces.

All adaptors will add error into a system. Period!

They add error components, but if you luck out they could actually make things better ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Why? Regardless of whether it’s cross company or not, and a different mount on each side, the parallelism is understood. Sure Canon may have a different requirement than Sony(parallel to within .0003 versus .0002, or something), but the company fabricating something like this isn’t going to struggle with parallelism due to the geometry of what’s on the parallel faces.

yes. But Metabones & assorted 3rd party sh*itters: = cr*ap, poor QC
Canon = gold standard, no problems.
No?
:)

Again: for Canon to Canon adapter: optical bench: = maybe. real life = not relevant.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
yes. But Metabones & assorted 3rd party sh*itters: = cr*ap, poor QC
Canon = gold standard, no problems.
No?
:)

Again: for Canon to Canon adapter: optical bench: = maybe. real life = not relevant.
Yes I agree the OEM will likely have better QC if for no better reason than they have no one to point fingers at.

Upvote 0
If EF is dethroned by a new full-frame mirrorless mount, would you hold on to your collection of EF lenses? How long? Would you keep those "L" beauties for the rest of your life, leaving them as a legacy to posterity?

What type of performance threshold would you demand of an adapter?

Personally, as y'all know, I think Canon is delaying a FF announcement because it won't bring good news to EF owners. Canon might be waiting to see how Nikon's new mount affects Nikon customers...

But I also believe Canon will continue to service current EF lenses and any in the pipeline for another 7-10 years. So, call me chicken little, or just an EF owner interested in the question of what to do with lenses that will no longer have the great resale value we've enjoyed for many years.

The EF mount won't be dethroned. It is one of, if not THE singular, most used lens mount in the world right now. If Canon tried to phase out the EF mount, they would have an army full of decades of EF mount users battering down their doors demanding it back. The EF mount isn't going anywhere, and it won't be going anywhere for a very, very long time. I'm a huge fan of the EF mount and the lenses that use it (and I use several brands of cameras compatible with EF lenses, as well a a variety of astro cameras that are also compatible with EF), and I expect it to be around for decades to come.

EOS-M didn't kill EOS. Mirrorless didn't kill DSLR. A new FF mirrorless mount from Canon won't kill EF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Really ... nobody posted here ...

hard to eat that crow I guess ...

Remember the M? Canon introduced it and it sold well, and they maintained the existing Rebel lineup and EF-S glass BECAUSE IT SELLS WELL!!!!!

Canon has now introduced the R, and (presumably) it will sell well. They will keep the existing XD bodies and EF lenses BECAUSE THEY SELL WELL!!!!!!

Canon does not have to choose between mirrorless FF cameras and mirrored FF cameras. There is a profitable market in both, so there is now way that they are going to leave either market unless it becomes unprofitable.

And keep in mind, that at the same time they have introduced the R camera, they introduced a pair of EF big whites..... these are lenses that take many years of sales to recoup design and production costs. They are obviously planning to be in it for the long haul....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0