If you were going to buy a Powershot with at least 20x optical zoom today...

If you were going to buy a Powershot with at least a 20x optical zoom today, what would you do?

My goal is to bring a bridge camera when I'm out and about and don't want to lug my DSLR and lenses.

Stills for Birding, wildlife, landscapes, touristy.

Used SX 50
Used SX 40
New SX530
New SX720
New SX730 (some early reviews are saying the AF is slow to lock on)
New SX420
Wait until the new ones come out in August
One of the new Panasonics?

Thanks

Oct 10, 2015
sanjosedave said:
If you were going to buy a Powershot with at least a 20x optical zoom today, what would you do?

My goal is to bring a bridge camera when I'm out and about and don't want to lug my DSLR and lenses.

Stills for Birding, wildlife, landscapes, touristy.

Used SX 50
Used SX 40
New SX530
New SX720
New SX730 (some early reviews are saying the AF is slow to lock on)
New SX420
Wait until the new ones come out in August
One of the new Panasonics?

Thanks

Of those I'd say SX730HS for its size. But remember those are in no way comparable to a DSLR in image quality. Basically they are good on sunny weather. The larger ones do allow steadier handling while shooting but are clumsier. If you are willow to carry those then G3 X would also be an option at much better image quality.

Panasonic has a small camera with one inch sensor and 10x zoom. I carry a Canon G9 X II and an SX280 HS when I do not carry my EOS M so I am covered with image quality or zoom. When the winter comes I will drop the SX. No use for it in the dark. I could not think of using anything less than one inch for the primary camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
In the end, you have to decide, and it sounds like you value size highly and will sacrifice high ISO performance.

Nothing wrong with that.

I'm one who would not use a 1.5 in or even APS-C for a primary camera, I've had them, they are all great at noon on a sunny day, but as soon as a cloud covers the sun and you need elevated speed to stop subject motion, the ISO must go up and they cannot handle high ISO well. Even FF bodies seem to suffer at high ISO's, but are the best I can afford.

I finally bought a APS-C camera for a backup, but even at ISO 400, the noise creeps in noticably. The good thing is that it doesn't seem to rise rapidly with higher ISO's.

Upvote 0