I'm amazed by my 5D Mark iii

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2011
I have quite a bit of stuff to sell, then I'm waiting to find a mkiii deal that is around 21 or 2300... so I have to wait quite a while. I'm glad to hear this though because I have a 60D that really does a good job for me... so I hesitate to upgrade... but I'm glad to hear you are having such good results with the new body. It encourages me to maybe wait until it is around 22 to 2400.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Freelancer said:
Rienzphotoz said:
ChilledXpress said:
So I take it you don't feel screwed over by Canon !!! ;D
No, we are not poor ;D

no just stupid.... when you think the complains have something to do with being "poor". ::)
You are? don't be so hard on yourself ;D

Upvote 0
The 5D3 is currently $500 cheaper than what I paid for it last March, but I don't give a hoot. It's been such a pleasure to use over the last 10 months that the premium I paid was worth every penny. I've taken it on several high-pressure assignments during that time, and the peace of mind afforded by the 5D3's brilliant AF system, FPS, and dual card slots made my life a while lot easier. IMHO, it's about as close to perfection as you can get.

Upvote 0
steven kessel said:
I've used a 7D for a while, mainly for wildlife photography, and I love the camera. A couple weeks back I took the plunge and ordered a 5D Mark iii. It arrived day before yesterday and I immediately mated it with my 100-400 FL 4.5-5.6. I've spent the last two days prowling around and photographing birds.

The differences between this camera and my 7D are simply amazing. The autofocus on the 7D is pretty good. On the Mark iii it is fantastic. I have been able to acquire subjects in lighting that would have been out of the question in the 7D. Noise reduction is far superior in the Mark iii. With my 7D my "go to" ISO is 320. I've been shooting at 640 with the Mark iii and the images are far less noisy than at 320 on my 7D. The metering seems to be superior as well. Spot metered photos with the Mark iii seem to be far less influenced by contrasty backgrounds than with the 7D. Finally, the full frame format is not an apparent disadvantage for shooting wildlife because I can crop my images with much less loss of detail than with the 7D.

This is a wonderful camera and that's based on only two days and couple hundred images' use. I'd thought I'd use my 7D as a backup for the Mark iii but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever put the Mark iii down.

Fascinating! Hopefully the 7D MK II has even more improved AF...

Upvote 0
BozillaNZ said:
ISO 640?? Did you mean ISO 6400?

6400 is pretty good too but for it to hold up you need to get the shot nearly full frame. For most wildlife especially birds you often have to crop which magnifies the noise. I shoot the 5diii up to 1250 on a regular basis and the noise is minimal even with cropping. After that I find crops really take an iq hit.

People think high ISO is just for low light shooting. On the contrary high ISO lets you use real fast shutter speeds and higher f stops in daylight. Done right, you can over expose slightly and pull the exposure back down for even less noise. The only thing better is the 1dx and I found it to not be that much better in the iq area.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
steven kessel said:
I should have included this with my post. A Greater Roadrunner. Shot at ISO 640.
Lots of detail, nice pic ... I totally agree with you about being amazed by the 5D MK III ... its been over 18 months, since I've had the 5D MK III and I sometime forget how awesome it is ... just yesterday, I got the Sony a7 full frame mirrorless camera, the more I use it the more I realize how awesome the 5D MK III really is.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.