I'm done - I have all the lenses I need

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mackguyver said:
Okay, I crumbled. I LOVED my 50 f/1.2 and missed it terribly so I just bought another one. The good news is that with the rebate, it becomes a net/net purchase vs. my eBay sale :)

In other news, I strongly predict that the 50 f/1.2 II will be announced tomorrow :eek:
If you are implying something like Murphy's Law can I give you a list of lenses to buy? ;D

Upvote 0
tron said:
mackguyver said:
Okay, I crumbled. I LOVED my 50 f/1.2 and missed it terribly so I just bought another one. The good news is that with the rebate, it becomes a net/net purchase vs. my eBay sale :)

In other news, I strongly predict that the 50 f/1.2 II will be announced tomorrow :eek:
If you are implying something like Murphy's Law can I give you a list of lenses to buy? ;D
If we're to believe CR, then I should definitely buy a 100-400, 800 5.6, 50 1.4, 35 1.4, etc. ;)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mackguyver said:
tron said:
mackguyver said:

If we're to believe CR, then I should definitely buy a 100-400, 800 5.6, 50 1.4, 35 1.4, etc. ;)
... and a 16-35 2.8 II please ;D

Upvote 0
tron said:
mackguyver said:
tron said:
mackguyver said:

Wait, but everybody needs a EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM ;D

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
Wait, but everybody needs a EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM ;D
Yes, I highly recommend it and a set of Mk III extenders. The only problem is that it is the sharpest lens Canon makes so you can't blame the equipment for bad photos ;D

tron said:
Ah yes, but I already have one of those - and I would upgrade it in a heartbeat for a sharper lens 8)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mackguyver said:
tron said:
Ah yes, but I already have one of those - and I would upgrade it in a heartbeat for a sharper lens 8)
With the risk of getting off topic may I ask you for your opinion regarding this lens? I just sold my version 1 16-35 2.8 and I have not decided whether to get the 16-35 2.8 II or wait. Some background: In this FL range I have:

1. EF14 2.8 L II (actually it's slightly out of this range but still covers the need for AF and 2.8 in the widest possible rectilinear FL) Uses: 1. astrophotography, 2. landscapes
2. TS-E 17mm f/4L (with adapter for Lee filter system) Uses: Architecture, Landscape
3. Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm 2.8 1. Uses: Astrophotography, Landscapes.
4. EF35mm 1.4L Uses: General/people, mostly in extremely low light.

So I have not used 16-35 for a while. That and the fact that it has lots of coma (tested at both FL ends at f/2.8 )
and the fact that I want good edges made me sell it. Prior to the above mentioned lenses it was being used for landscapes.

Use will be for landscapes as I do not believe a 16-35 2.8 even at its 3rd incarnation would be suitable for astrophotography (that test at wide FL is left for EF14 II and Zeiss 21). However, a very good 16-35 copy could be handy in situations where it will not be practical to carry many different lenses.

Upvote 0
tron said:
mackguyver said:
tron said:
With the risk of getting off topic may I ask you for your opinion regarding this lens? I just sold my version 1 16-35 2.8 and I have not decided whether to get the 16-35 2.8 II or wait. Some background: In this FL range I have:

1. EF14 2.8 L II (actually it's slightly out of this range but still covers the need for AF and 2.8 in the widest possible rectilinear FL) Uses: 1. astrophotography, 2. landscapes
2. TS-E 17mm f/4L (with adapter for Lee filter system) Uses: Architecture, Landscape
3. Zeiss Distagon T* 21mm 2.8 1. Uses: Astrophotography, Landscapes.
4. EF35mm 1.4L Uses: General/people, mostly in extremely low light.

So I have not used 16-35 for a while. That and the fact that it has lots of coma (tested at both FL ends at f/2.8 )
and the fact that I want good edges made me sell it. Prior to the above mentioned lenses it was being used for landscapes.

Use will be for landscapes as I do not believe a 16-35 2.8 even at its 3rd incarnation would be suitable for astrophotography (that test at wide FL is left for EF14 II and Zeiss 21). However, a very good 16-35 copy could be handy in situations where it will not be practical to carry many different lenses.
My 16-35 is collecting dust. The 17 TS-E has so much better IQ, so I tend to go for that instead. I seldom use the 16-35 with people, since I find the distortion off center unacceptable, so the extra time to operate the 17mm does not bother me. If the 16-35 was upgraded with IQ in the same class as the 24-70 f2.8L II and preferably covered 14-24, I would get it though.

Upvote 0

Pinchers of Peril

Shoot first ask questions later
Nov 15, 2012
www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com
mackguyver said:

Ha ha... that's hilarious that the thread you started saying that you were done with lenses, ends with you buying a new lens. I know the feeling. Once my lens collection was where i wanted it to be, I got the "I should get a Fuji x100s" itch because it looks so cool ha ha.

Upvote 0
Pinchers of Peril said:
mackguyver said:

Ha ha... that's hilarious that the thread you started saying that you were done with lenses, ends with you buying a new lens. I know the feeling. Once my lens collection was where i wanted it to be, I got the "I should get a Fuji x100s" itch because it looks so cool ha ha.
Well, it is "technically" re-buying a lens I once owned, but yeah, I had to confess on CR :-[

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mackguyver said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
mackguyver said:

Well, it is "technically" re-buying a lens I once owned, but yeah, I had to confess on CR :-[
You no longer have the lenses mentioned at first post. So I am afraid you ... lost ;D
You succumbed to the lens temptation, you relapsed, you had a moment of weakness ;D ;D ;D

P.S (Re-)Enjoy your new lens :)
P.S2 You are still not ... done :) :) :)

Upvote 0
tron said:
mackguyver said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
mackguyver said:

You no longer have the lenses mentioned at first post. So I am afraid you ... lost ;D
You succumbed to the lens temptation, you relapsed, you had a moment of weakness ;D ;D ;D

Yep, I lost (see below) - and I will re-enjoy my new lens - it's on the UPS truck for delivery today -thanks ;D

game-over.jpg

Upvote 0
ejenner said:
Harv said:
Every time I buy a new lens, I say the same thing. I've probably said it a hundred times. ::) Will likely say it again.

This.....

Although I have slowed down and don't have my eye on anything right now.

Good to see the thread continued and reality set in for Mackguyver.
I think and hope I am pretty much finished - at least with Canon's current line up. We'll see what 2014 brings, but the only lens I'm really wanting is a better 16-35, and I'd happily sell the one I have to upgrade.

The 50 1.2 was the one I didn't want to sell but did. I quickly realized that f/2.8 is way to far a bridge and with the double-dip, well, as we all know, I HAD to buy it :)

Upvote 0
ejenner said:
Harv said:
Every time I buy a new lens, I say the same thing. I've probably said it a hundred times. ::) Will likely say it again.

This.....

Although I have slowed down and don't have my eye on anything right now.

Good to see the thread continued and reality set in for Mackguyver.

I though I slowed down too until I bought a new full frame body; in essence to replace the 7D. So now I'm affraid this will cause expensive lens acquisition mayhem once I start missing the crop on the long end of the range... :eek: ::) ???

Fortunately my lens line-up is one almost fully geared towards full frame use, except for my little (and most excellent) Tammy 17-50 f/2.8 which I will sell today.

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
I though I slowed down too until I bought a new full frame body; in essence to replace the 7D. So now I'm affraid this will cause expensive lens acquisition mayhem once I start missing the crop on the long end of the range... :eek: ::) ???
I did the same thing - I had a 5DII & 7D and then I bought a 5DIII. I shot with them for a few month before realizing that the full frame files are so much better that I didn't miss the crop and sold the 7D. The 1.4x (and 2x) III goes a long way to make up for the crop if you own one of the 70-200 zooms of any of the telephotos other than the 135 f/2 (which isn't too great with extenders).

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
mackguyver said:
tron said:
mackguyver said:
Pinchers of Peril said:
mackguyver said:

Yep, I lost (see below) - and I will re-enjoy my new lens - it's on the UPS truck for delivery today -thanks ;D

game-over.jpg

There is no treatment for G.A.S yet. It tends to spread to bigger, faster, better and of course more $$$ in the future.

Since Neuro is a Dr., he can explain this better I'm ;D

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
There is no treatment for G.A.S yet. It tends to spread to bigger, faster, better and of course more $$$ in the future.

I see that you have succumbed to it again with the 400. The 300 wasn't long enough, eh? I can understand but still prefer the smaller size & lighter weight of the 300. My plan is to start saving for the 800 5.6 II ;D

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:

I see that you have succumbed to it again with the 400. The 300 wasn't long enough, eh? I can understand but still prefer the smaller size & lighter weight of the 300. My plan is to start saving for the 800 5.6 II ;D

YES, I did ;D

As you mentioned before, 300 is a wonderful lens and I'm 100% agree. The only reason I went with 400 is I need little more reach. The 400 is good as 300 in term of IQ & AF speed, but the weight feels much heavier :-\

800 sounds awesome mackguyver. I would love to add the 600 sometime next year or two - unless Canon releases better. I'm start saving now ;)

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
mrsfotografie said:
I did the same thing - I had a 5DII & 7D and then I bought a 5DIII. I shot with them for a few month before realizing that the full frame files are so much better that I didn't miss the crop and sold the 7D. The 1.4x (and 2x) III goes a long way to make up for the crop if you own one of the 70-200 zooms of any of the telephotos other than the 135 f/2 (which isn't too great with extenders).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am happy to say I've got a 70-200 f/2.8 IS II and a 1.4x II, so that's covered for now. It's the >400 mm focal lengths that could become a problem (but I don't really do a lot of photography that requires these focal lengths). I've got a 100-400 and I know from the 5DII that is gives great results on full frame as long as the subject is in focus. Now that I have the 5D3, I'm sure I can get more out of this lens.

Upvote 0