I'm done - I have all the lenses I need

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
mackguyver said:
Dylan777 said:
There is no treatment for G.A.S yet. It tends to spread to bigger, faster, better and of course more $$$ in the future.

Since Neuro is a Dr., he can explain this better I'm ;D
I see that you have succumbed to it again with the 400. The 300 wasn't long enough, eh? I can understand but still prefer the smaller size & lighter weight of the 300. My plan is to start saving for the 800 5.6 II ;D
So you admit: It is not over. The only temporary refrain from lens acquisition is to get money for the biggest of all lenses :eek:
After that I officially declare this thread as a humorous one ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
ejenner said:
Harv said:
Every time I buy a new lens, I say the same thing. I've probably said it a hundred times. ::) Will likely say it again.

This.....

Although I have slowed down and don't have my eye on anything right now.

Good to see the thread continued and reality set in for Mackguyver.
I think and hope I am pretty much finished - at least with Canon's current line up. We'll see what 2014 brings, but the only lens I'm really wanting is a better 16-35, and I'd happily sell the one I have to upgrade.

The 50 1.2 was the one I didn't want to sell but did. I quickly realized that f/2.8 is way to far a bridge and with the double-dip, well, as we all know, I HAD to buy it :)

I don't really understand why the 16-35IIL gets such a bad rap. It's a really good lens and is very versatile. For landscapes, I see better results than the 24-70IIL...which is a lens every one seems to go nuts over.

Upvote 0
GMCPhotographics said:
mackguyver said:
ejenner said:
Harv said:
Every time I buy a new lens, I say the same thing. I've probably said it a hundred times. ::) Will likely say it again.

This.....

Although I have slowed down and don't have my eye on anything right now.

Good to see the thread continued and reality set in for Mackguyver.
I think and hope I am pretty much finished - at least with Canon's current line up. We'll see what 2014 brings, but the only lens I'm really wanting is a better 16-35, and I'd happily sell the one I have to upgrade.

The 50 1.2 was the one I didn't want to sell but did. I quickly realized that f/2.8 is way to far a bridge and with the double-dip, well, as we all know, I HAD to buy it :)

I don't really understand why the 16-35IIL gets such a bad rap. It's a really good lens and is very versatile. For landscapes, I see better results than the 24-70IIL...which is a lens every one seems to go nuts over.
I agree that the 16-35II is a fine lens, but I don't think the sharpness is nearly as good as the recent Ls. I recently had it and the 24-70II out shooting a live oak and when comparing the two at 24mm & f/11, it was shocking how much sharper the 24-70II was than the 16-35II. All the same, I use it a lot for my architectural work and landscapes and I'm typically happy with the results, but I'm never ecstatic with them. To me, it's sort of like the old 24-70 - a very good lens, but not a great one. I'd love to see that level of improvement (like the 24-70 to 24-70II) in a new 16-36, but I am certainly content with the 16-35II.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
mackguyver said:
I agree that the 16-35II is a fine lens, but I don't think the sharpness is nearly as good as the recent Ls. I recently had it and the 24-70II out shooting a live oak and when comparing the two at 24mm & f/11, it was shocking how much sharper the 24-70II was than the 16-35II.

Agreed. At 24mm, my preference is TS-E 24L II > 24-70/2.8L II > 16-35L II.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:
I agree that the 16-35II is a fine lens, but I don't think the sharpness is nearly as good as the recent Ls. I recently had it and the 24-70II out shooting a live oak and when comparing the two at 24mm & f/11, it was shocking how much sharper the 24-70II was than the 16-35II.

+1 And there is a fairly wide gap between the 24-70 and the 16-35.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I'm typically happy with the results, but I'm never ecstatic with them. To me, it's sort of like the old 24-70 - a very good lens, but not a great one.

You description exactly fits how I felt about my 24-70 Mk I. It's a professionals tool, nothing more. I replaced it with a Sigma 35mm f/1.4 that does thrill me :)

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

Only in sharpness....not in any other metric or concearn.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
GMCPhotographics said:
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

I guess sharpness is an important metric and since the 2 lenses have different focal range they cannot be compared outside the 24-35mm range.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
i've compared 85L and 135L, and for me i'd say 85L is THE lens; for portraiture..it's true that 135L a nice lens but she lack the ability to shot in dimmer ambient light. i shot city crowd at the evening and nothing's more pleasing than the 85L result.it was so damn bright and everything is visible, u get what you see(in term of luminance). i'm also agree with u that 85mm is more versatile in portraiture department since 85mm has the natural and classic type of FOV.
i think you have a good combination there with your 24-85-300mm eventhough for me i would like 35-85-200L in my lineup :D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
GMCPhotographics said:
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
mackguyver said:

That, and the 24-70 II has a 1/3-stop faster T-stop than the 16-35 II. Sometimes every bit of light counts...

Upvote 0
danimon said:
i've compared 85L and 135L, and for me i'd say 85L is THE lens; for portraiture..it's true that 135L a nice lens but she lack the ability to shot in dimmer ambient light. i shot city crowd at the evening and nothing's more pleasing than the 85L result.it was so damn bright and everything is visible, u get what you see(in term of luminance). i'm also agree with u that 85mm is more versatile in portraiture department since 85mm has the natural and classic type of FOV.
i think you have a good combination there with your 24-85-300mm eventhough for me i would like 35-85-200L in my lineup :D
I loved the 135, too, but it was always a bit tight for indoor portraits, even on FF. The big thing that made me rethink the lens was reading a blog by wedding photographer Jeff Ascough who was talking about how the combination of high ISO bodies and the 70-200 2.8 IS II was allowing him to get shots he'd never dreamed of with the 135. Obviously that doesn't overcome slow shutter speeds in extremely low light, but even then the 1 stop difference isn't huge.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
danimon said:
I loved the 135, too, but it was always a bit tight for indoor portraits, even on FF. The big thing that made me rethink the lens was reading a blog by wedding photographer Jeff Ascough who was talking about how the combination of high ISO bodies and the 70-200 2.8 IS II was allowing him to get shots he'd never dreamed of with the 135. Obviously that doesn't overcome slow shutter speeds in extremely low light, but even then the 1 stop difference isn't huge.

I like the 135L a lot...but I use my 85IIL a lot more. I like the look I get from it and it's amazingly bright. It almost creates light. I use a 70-200 f2.8 II L a lot too, it's a fantastic lens and offers a great set of benefits; focal range, fast AF, bright f2.8, weather sealing and that great 4 stop IS unit....and it's great with teleconverters. But the 135L and 85IIL do offer a slightly better look in my opinion.
There's a lot to like about all three lenses!

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
GMCPhotographics said:
mackguyver said:
danimon said:

I like the 135L a lot...but I use my 85IIL a lot more. I like the look I get from it and it's amazingly bright. It almost creates light. I use a 70-200 f2.8 II L a lot too, it's a fantastic lens and offers a great set of benefits; focal range, fast AF, bright f2.8, weather sealing and that great 4 stop IS unit....and it's great with teleconverters. But the 135L and 85IIL do offer a slightly better look in my opinion.
There's a lot to like about all three lenses!

+1 same here. I share the sentiment

Upvote 0
I am basically in the same boat in terms of lenses.

70-200/2.8 II - While I do not have a specific use for this lens, I find it is my most often used lens on many trips. It is versatile for everything - from portraits to landscapes.

TS-E 24 II - My second most used lens. I use it for architecture exteriors and landscapes.

TS-E 17 - Used for interiors and landscapes.

24-105/4 IS - My "I don't care lens". The sharpness is not up to snuff but it serves well when I just want some casual photo of the kids.

MP-E 65 - Used for insects

100L macro - Used for small things larger than insects, or for big insects

TS-E 90 - Used for product photography and flowers

16-35 2.8 II - Not often in my bag except for hikes

8-15 fisheye - Great nifty lens when used in moderation

200-400/1.4x - For wildlife and some landscapes

I say "almost" because ideally I would replace the 24-105 with a 24-70/2.8 II and would add a 600/4 II, but those are minor tidbits. I generally do not miss them and am unlikely to buy them within the next few years.

Upvote 0