I'm done - I have all the lenses I need

mackguyver said:
I think the 16-35 II is in serious peril, however.
With the two TS-E lenses you are very well equipped for any wide angle situation, expect for events. Personally I don´t like wider angles than 24mm for people photography, so I sold the 16-35 II. No regrets. Added a Zeiss 15mm f2.8 though (with an extremely expensive CPL filter ...). The optical quality of the primes are in a different league than the zoom.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
mackguyver said:
With the two TS-E lenses you are very well equipped for any wide angle situation, expect for events. Personally I don´t like wider angles than 24mm for people photography, so I sold the 16-35 II. No regrets. Added a Zeiss 15mm f2.8 though (with an extremely expensive CPL filter ...). The optical quality of the primes are in a different league than the zoom.
The Zeiss 15 is something I've looked at but the size of it makes me reluctant to use it. The lens and CPL cost is another :). The 16-35 has weatherproofing and takes filters (over the TS-E 17), but I find myself using it for interiors and exteriors of large buildings and for little else. I don't do much UWA shooting other than that, so it may need to go up for sale. I'll probably give it a month or so and see if it starts to collect dust. If so, it will be time to sell it.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
mackguyver said:
Time for another confession :-[. The more I use the TS-E 24 II, the more I love it and while innocently browsing the Canon refurb sale, I found a TS-E 17 in stock. Now my AMEX bleeds :'(.

Congratulations on the purchase :) and sympathies for your wallet ;)

I too have the TS-E17 as well as the 16-35 II so, a question ... unless you are mostly a tripod shooter, why would you sell off the 16-35 II? To me, both the lenses serve completely different purposes.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
mackguyver said:
Time for another confession :-[. The more I use the TS-E 24 II, the more I love it and while innocently browsing the Canon refurb sale, I found a TS-E 17 in stock. Now my AMEX bleeds :'(.

Congratulations on the purchase :) and sympathies for your wallet ;)

I too have the TS-E17 as well as the 16-35 II so, a question ... unless you are mostly a tripod shooter, why would you sell off the 16-35 II? To me, both the lenses serve completely different purposes.
I agree, but my 16-35 II seems to be my least used lens and when I do use it, I tend to use it on a tripod. I realize that it is much more versatile, but so far, I haven't used it for those other purposes. I'll hold onto it for now, but 24mm is usually wide enough for me for general purpose shooting.

Upvote 0
One more personal note - for those thinking that the TS-E 17 makes the TS-E 24 obsolete, I'd say not it doesn't. Yes, you can add the 1.4x to the 17 to get a sharp 24, and a decent 34, but you can add the 1.4x to the 24 to get a very nice 34 and a decent 48 ;D

traingineer said:
Excuse me, but you're still missing a few lenses. (I crossed out the ones you currently own)
Nice! I wonder what the total retail cost of all of these lenses is - minus the Cinema line up.

sagittariansrock said:
I agree. With my 17-55, the wide end often didn't feel sufficient, but 24mm seems good for most purposes to me.
Having said that, if Canon comes up with a sharp UWA zoom (no, not a f/2.8- can't afford what it will cost, more like a f/4 zoom, maybe even with IS) I will most likely bite after the dust settles.
I'd go for a wide f/4 zoom if it were really sharp, too :)

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
traingineer said:
Excuse me, but you're still missing a few lenses. (I crossed out the ones you currently own)

Nice! I wonder what the total retail cost of all of these lenses is - minus the Cinema line up.

Compared to the Cine lenses, most of the Canon EF lenses seem like excellent value, but still expensive. :'(
Oh, and would the lens down below count as a Canon lens? (white paint/expensive elements/metal badge/fast and accurate focusing/something coloured in red)

Attachments

• VSD_Scope.jpg
    VSD_Scope.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 543
Upvote 0
I'm glad you found it and my website is woefully overdue for an update and re-org. I use Smugmug and they changed it all around on my last year and ever since I have been stuck with my old site because trying to port my stuff to their new format has been an exercise in futility, at best. Lately, due to consulting and personal commitments, I haven't even had time to shoot, so the website has taken a back seat.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
I'm glad you found it and my website is woefully overdue for an update and re-org. I use Smugmug and they changed it all around on my last year and ever since I have been stuck with my old site because trying to port my stuff to their new format has been an exercise in futility, at best. Lately, due to consulting and personal commitments, I haven't even had time to shoot, so the website has taken a back seat.

Not good , lots of lonely glass !

I noticed you had some amazing wildlife stuff on there so can see where you are using the longer focal lengths what about the wider ones do you do much street / landscape / anything else ?

Upvote 0
Andrew Davies Photography said:
mackguyver said:

Not good , lots of lonely glass !

I noticed you had some amazing wildlife stuff on there so can see where you are using the longer focal lengths what about the wider ones do you do much street / landscape / anything else ?
Yes, very lonely and sad glass, but at least they have each other ;)

I do a fair amount of shooting with my wider lenses, but that's the business side of things and is a completely different and rather dull set of photos that I don't normally share. I have done quite a bit of landscape work, too, but don't have a lot of it up on my site. Florida, at least the part where I live, is a lot of swamps and trees so finding interesting landscapes is quite challenging.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
traingineer said:
Oh, and would the lens down below count as a Canon lens? (white paint/expensive elements/metal badge/fast and accurate focusing/something coloured in red)
Looks good to me, but I think we should really be adding the 1200mm to the list ;D

How about this? Japanese built, has ED/APO/Fluorite elements, hundreds of coatings, white tube with a red ring, heavy duty focuser, and it also includes a tripod/mount! Only for $14,000 ;)

Attachments

• Takahashi.gif
    Takahashi.gif
    20.1 KB · Views: 474
Upvote 0
Most of the lenses you own can be improved in one way or another. So I guess at the moment you have a pretty good set of lenses to cover your work. But every new sensor demands more and more of your lens, so an update becomes inevitable sooner or later. I saw it with older medium format lenses adapted to a modern Canon ff camera body. The results are less than mediocre and so I really appreciate newer lens designs and coatings.

I have no shortage of lenses but still want better ones. Especially a proper tilt-shift lens in the range of 40mm till 60mm is lacking.

Upvote 0
RobertG. said:
Most of the lenses you own can be improved in one way or another. So I guess at the moment you have a pretty good set of lenses to cover your work. But every new sensor demands more and more of your lens, so an update becomes inevitable sooner or later. I saw it with older medium format lenses adapted to a modern Canon ff camera body. The results are less than mediocre and so I really appreciate newer lens designs and coatings.

I have no shortage of lenses but still want better ones. Especially a proper tilt-shift lens in the range of 40mm till 60mm is lacking.
I feel pretty good about the future for my 300 f/2.8 IS II, which seems to outresolve even the 5DIII, but I'm not sure about the rest. A lot of guys are starting to use the Sony A7R with L lenses, so that might help us learn a bit more prior to Canon's high-res sensors coming out.

Upvote 0
adhocphotographer said:
Damn fine kit there... :) Congrats.... Lets hope canon are listening and bring out a few new toys to tempt you out of your 'retirement'! :p
Thanks, and I hope they do the same. A 12-24L f/_, 400+ f/5.6 IS, TS-E 45L, 135 f/2 IS, and 180L f/2.8 macro are all on my wish list and maybe Canon Claus will deliver them or some variation of them someday.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
16-35 2.8L II - I don't love this lens as much, but it is very versatile for architecture, landscape, and events
To quote myself :)o), as I said, it's not favorite, so it's going up for sale and I'm going to cross my fingers on the new 16-35 f/4 IS I pre-ordered. It looks like a winner and much better for my needs.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
mackguyver said:
16-35 2.8L II - I don't love this lens as much, but it is very versatile for architecture, landscape, and events
To quote myself :)o), as I said, it's not favorite, so it's going up for sale and I'm going to cross my fingers on the new 16-35 f/4 IS I pre-ordered. It looks like a winner and much better for my needs.

Starting a thread called "I'm done" might not have been one of your most successful ventures in the year of the lens(es?) ;)

Upvote 0