I'm done - I have all the lenses I need

neuroanatomist said:
kirispupis said:
...add a 600/4 II, but those are minor tidbits.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or appalled that you referred to the 600/4L IS II as a "minor tidbit." ;)
If it were, I'd already have one. Unfortunately, $13k is not minor for me :'(

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
kirispupis said:
...add a 600/4 II, but those are minor tidbits.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed or appalled that you referred to the 600/4L IS II as a "minor tidbit." ;)
If it were, I'd already have one. Unfortunately, $13k is not minor for me :'(

It is a minor tidbit because I do not have a huge need for one, given that the 200-400/1.4x works well for me, and after the amount of begging and whining I had to do to obtain the 200-400 I do not even dare mention the 600/4. If I win the lottery some day it would be nice, but I am happy with what I have.

Of course, if this truly is a "lens year" then future lenses may be too difficult to resist - particularly if Canon releases a 14-24.

Upvote 0
Me too! I've taken a little different tack - I got rid of a good portion of the lenses you mentioned and purchased
a 35mm summilux and a 75mm summilux to go with a new M. My shoulders don't sag, I don't quit early and I can
carry my whole kit around my neck and in one pocket. Oh yes, my pictures are sharper and photography is fun
again. I have to think about what I want, move a whole lot more and enjoy the process.

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Eldar said:
Zeiss is releasing two more Otus lenses, 85/1.4 in 2014, followed by a "wide angel"/1.4. Having seen the exceptional performance from the 55/1.4, these may be very difficult to resist ... ::)

LOL ... we are really waiting for that ... made by Zeiss! ;D ;D
Not sure I understood that comment .. :-\

But if we drop the Zeiss price part (we all know they are expensive) and the non-AF part and the non-IS part and the size and weight part, I believe we have exceptional lenses ahead of us.

The IQ from the Otus 55/1.4 beats any other 50ísh lens on the market, including Zeiss´own. Their current offering in the wide angel area, especially the 15, 18 and 21 lenses, are all very high performers. The only idea behind the Otus series is to out perform anything that is already out there, so I am really looking forward to them.

And if they fulfill my expectation, I would really appreciate if Canon could release that 45MP body sooner rather than later ::)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
J.R. said:
Eldar said:
Zeiss is releasing two more Otus lenses, 85/1.4 in 2014, followed by a "wide angel"/1.4. Having seen the exceptional performance from the 55/1.4, these may be very difficult to resist ... ::)

I've known a few wide angels, but I prefer the thin ones. More likely to be made in Budapest than by Zeiss ;)

Upvote 0
May 30, 2013
mackguyver said:
Thanks, or maybe no thanks ;) to a canonpricewatch.com alert I set up, I just snagged a refurbished TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II at 20% off.

With that, I'm done. Really. I have all the lenses I'll ever need to own. I can rent longer super teles, other TS-Es, etc. for jobs or projects.

It's taken me a long time to figure out what I need, but I have and I'm so happy to have completed it :D

My lenses and uses are as follows:

24 1.4L II - I love 24mm, it's my favorite and most used FL, period. The f/1.4 rocks for events and landscapes, and it's nice & small.

TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II - I have more and more architectural work coming my way and TS-Es just can't be beat. I don't like in a big city or shoot interiors much, so 24mm is ideal, plus I can use polarizers and ND filters with ease. I borrowed one from CPS and loved it, but didn't have much time to perfect it. I was very sad to return it once I realized how amazing tilt-shift movements can be.

85 1.2L II - the 50 1.2 and 135 2 are great, but I found the 85 to be more versatile for all types of portraits, and I think it's THE people lens.

180 3.5L Macro - I prefer the longer working distance, included tripod ring, and compression over the 100L. Plus it has the very best color of any Canon lens, IMHO.

300 2.8L IS II - I went for this over the bigger lenses as it's far more versatile (300, 420, and 600) and truly hand-holdable. No gimbal needed, just more patience and skill requireed to get closer to wildlife. I'll rent the 600 or 800 as needed.

Extenders 1.4x III & 2x III - both work awesome with the 180 3.5L Macro, 300 2.8L IS II and 70-200 2.8L IS II

16-35 2.8L II - I don't love this lens as much, but it is very versatile for architecture, landscape, and events

24-70 2.8L II - Perfect do it all zoom #1

70-200 2.8L IS II - Perfect do it all zoom #2

I'm sure I sound a bit nuts :eek:, but I'd like to thank that I have all I need to own. Has anyone else "completed" their lens kit?

nice…but what happens when they introduce new lenses for 2014

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Niki said:
mackguyver said:
Thanks, or maybe no thanks ;) to a canonpricewatch.com alert I set up, I just snagged a refurbished TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II at 20% off.

With that, I'm done. Really. I have all the lenses I'll ever need to own. I can rent longer super teles, other TS-Es, etc. for jobs or projects.

It's taken me a long time to figure out what I need, but I have and I'm so happy to have completed it :D

24 1.4L II - I love 24mm, it's my favorite and most used FL, period. The f/1.4 rocks for events and landscapes, and it's nice & small.

TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II - I have more and more architectural work coming my way and TS-Es just can't be beat. I don't like in a big city or shoot interiors much, so 24mm is ideal, plus I can use polarizers and ND filters with ease. I borrowed one from CPS and loved it, but didn't have much time to perfect it. I was very sad to return it once I realized how amazing tilt-shift movements can be.

85 1.2L II - the 50 1.2 and 135 2 are great, but I found the 85 to be more versatile for all types of portraits, and I think it's THE people lens.

180 3.5L Macro - I prefer the longer working distance, included tripod ring, and compression over the 100L. Plus it has the very best color of any Canon lens, IMHO.

300 2.8L IS II - I went for this over the bigger lenses as it's far more versatile (300, 420, and 600) and truly hand-holdable. No gimbal needed, just more patience and skill requireed to get closer to wildlife. I'll rent the 600 or 800 as needed.

Extenders 1.4x III & 2x III - both work awesome with the 180 3.5L Macro, 300 2.8L IS II and 70-200 2.8L IS II

16-35 2.8L II - I don't love this lens as much, but it is very versatile for architecture, landscape, and events

I'm sure I sound a bit nuts :eek:, but I'd like to thank that I have all I need to own. Has anyone else "completed" their lens kit?

nice…but what happens when they introduce new lenses for 2014
Allow me a humorous answer: The gear list is updated first.After that minor update, the declaration (thread title) continuous to be correct (until an interesting new lens is introduced and so on... ;D )

Upvote 0

leGreve

Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
Nov 6, 2010
Denmark
vimeo.com
mackguyver said:

Someone probably already mentioned it :)

I don't see the Zeiss Otus 55 1.4 anywhere in there…. neither the Zeiss Otus 85 1.4 (that of course is because it's not here yet… ;) )

You are not done hehe.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
J.R. said:
Eldar said:

I've known a few wide angels, but I prefer the thin ones. More likely to be made in Budapest than by Zeiss ;)

Eehhh ... That´s the thing about language, especially when it´s not your native tounge. There are always double meanings and room for interpretation ::)

Norway (and maybe also Sweden) had a Honda called Jazz. In all other countries they were called Honda Fitta. Which for most people is OK. But for us it translates to Honda The Cunt, so they renamed it Jazz ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Eldar said:
Sporgon said:
J.R. said:
Eldar said:

Eehhh ... That´s the thing about language, especially when it´s not your native tounge. There are always double meanings and room for interpretation ::)

Norway (and maybe also Sweden) had a Honda called Jazz. In all other countries they were called Honda Fitta. Which for most people is OK. But for us it translates to Honda The Cunt, so they renamed it Jazz ;)

Yes ... I understood that it was a typo - angel instead of angle. I'm a non-native English speaking person and face such issues plenty of times.

But just couldn't resist commenting on the wide-angel ;)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Eldar said:

Your written English is pretty much perfect. Now if I tried to post in Norwegian that would be highly amusing !

Upvote 0
J.R. said:
Eldar said:
Sporgon said:
J.R. said:
Eldar said:

Yes ... I understood that it was a typo - angel instead of angle. I'm a non-native English speaking person and face such issues plenty of times.

But just couldn't resist commenting on the wide-angel ;)

Just to jump in on the Honda Jazz, it was called that here in the UK, too. I'm pretty sure it was the name they used for the entire European market and the middle east. Companies often call cars different names in the US, and sometimes in East Asia, too, though I think the Honda Fit was called that in the US and Japan, China etc.

It works with Canon cameras too :p the US has the Rebel T5i, in Europe we have the 700D and in Japan they're called KISS X7i

Upvote 0
MichaelHodges said:
You 300 2.8 II praisers are giving me gear cravings.
Sorry, but we can't help it. It's all that and then some :)

leGreve said:
I don't see the Zeiss Otus 55 1.4 anywhere in there…. neither the Zeiss Otus 85 1.4 (that of course is because it's not here yet… ;) )

You are not done hehe.
I'm waiting for the Otus 24mm, which will be next, after the 85mm, at least according to a Zeiss rep at some trade show last year.

And how doesn't love wide anGELs :). We English speakers would all do VERY poorly if we had to speak in all of the other native languages that exist on this forum!

Upvote 0