Images and Information About the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III and EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II

mppix said:
Assuming that the picture is right, I am a bit surprised that minimum focus distance of the 2.8 III remains at 1.2m...
Both lenses in the sample photo show the distance racked out to infinity. The minimum focus is not visible. Where are you seeing that?

EDIT - oops, never mind. I see it is visible on the focus limiter switch. That is surprising as I would expect a closer minimum focus to be a huge selling point. I know it would be for me.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
ahsanford said:
MikeD said:
To me, the F2.8 does not look like a real picture. The spacing of the "III" graphics does not look right. It looks like someone photoshopped a photo of a version II to make it look like a version III.

Looks fine to me.

Very little changed geometrically between the II and the III, so yes, it would be easily photoshoppable to drop in new logos and text and such, but what were you expecting? A dorsal fin? 70% of the length?

- A

Honestly, I was expecting a different tripod mount (from the 100-400), and a focus limiter from 0.8m (or 1m) to infinity. Still, the photo may be the "real deal".

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
ahsanford said:
Also, from TDP on the II:

“Canon rates the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens' IS system for 4-stops of assistance.”

He then tested it to show it was slightly better than that on one end while slightly less than that on the other. But it’s more or less 4 stops.

Why would the claimed IS advantage go down on the III version? Does some atom-splitting mega-resolving uptick in sharpness present a bigger lift for the IS to manage?

- A

I was thinking same. It must be at least 4 stops stabilization. We will know soon.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2017
I wish I could say good info, but until the MTF charts are released comparing the previous versions, I can't say I am impressed. The question anyone wants to know is whether we are upgrading or if it even will be a significant upgrade, but we don't have that info yet and it will probably be a couple of months until Dustin Abbott releases his review. And who knows when the DXOMark ratings will come out? Fortunately since this is a Canon lens, even the mfg charts would be good enough - when we get them.
Also 4 stops of IS? Okay who needs to handhold a telephoto lens at super low light on a non-moving target?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
minaz said:
Also 4 stops of IS? Okay who needs to handhold a telephoto lens at super low light on a non-moving target?

Short answer: Just about everyone needs IS for this lens. There are exceptions, of course, but I only turn my Mk II's IS off when it's on a tripod.

IS isn't only for stationary subjects. See the three mode IS description from the 100-400L IS II, which we presume will be the three mode IS these two lenses will see.

- A

Attachments

• How IS works.jpg
    How IS works.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 1,813
Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
The text in the PDF is obviously hand-translated from English to Swedish. This is as common practice for Canon Sweden, but this seems slightly worse than normal in that the original language is easier than normal to identify.

Some clarifications might be handy since the translation back to English introduced some rather weird wording:

"Sunny choice" should be "obvious choice" or "clear choice".

The Swedish word "ringformad" (literally ring formed/shaped) was translated to "annular".

"High quality travel lists" was probably originally "high quality travel photography".

As for currency conversion, the 5DmkIV was introduced at $3499 but 38400 SEK, with similar exchange rates. I would not be surprised to see $1399 and $2299 MSRP.

Best regards,
A native Swedish speaker

Upvote 0
hne said:
As for currency conversion, the 5DmkIV was introduced at $3499 but 38400 SEK, with similar exchange rates. I would not be surprised to see $1399 and $2299 MSRP.

Best regards,
A native Swedish speaker

These prices are actually fractionally lower than the current price of the current models at Canon store Sweden (24,849.00 SEK and 15,149.00 SEK.). Which is strange.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
M_S said:
No weather sealing on the f4? Or am I missing something???

It could just mean that they have not mentioned it.... I have the F4 IS on the desk in front of me, and it most certainly has the rubber sealing gasket on the mount, which implies that it is a sealed lens... Plus, according to Canon who states "together with its water-and dust-proof construction" I am certain that it is a sealed lens.

Besides, it is a constant length lens, and these are the easiest lenses to seal.......

That said, the non-IS version of the F4 is not sealed.....

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Don Haines said:
M_S said:
No weather sealing on the f4? Or am I missing something???

It could just mean that they have not mentioned it.... I have the F4 IS on the desk in front of me, and it most certainly has the rubber sealing gasket on the mount, which implies that it is a sealed lens... Plus, according to Canon who states "together with its water-and dust-proof construction" I am certain that it is a sealed lens.

Besides, it is a constant length lens, and these are the easiest lenses to seal.......

That said, the non-IS version of the F4 is not sealed.....
Your correct the non-IS version of the f4L is NOT sealed, the IS version is. Both are constant length.

As to the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM III it looks from these shots to be remarkably similar to the MKII. However the coatings alone could lift the performance and mitigate CAs the main weakness of the current lens. Add in the newer IS system from the EF 100-400mm MKII and Canon will lift the lens to match at least the new leader the Sony FE 70-200mm f2.8 G Master.

Whether that enough to upgrade from the MKII is debateable but the most likely owners will be rentals, press and those upgrading from the MKI plus those with hard-worked MKII lenses.

Upvote 0