Images and specifications for the upcoming RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM, RF 85mm f/1.2L USM DS & DM-E100

Surely it is. The added inertia is very useful to keep the subject framed while operating a camera with Sony ergonomics.
Don't be fooled. One will show up saying the added weight is a benefit... according to the spec sheet. ;)
Obviously weight is a key performance spec in holding paper down

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Is it disconcerting to anyone else that there doesn’t seem to be working models reviewed?
No not really, all the manufacturers put restrictions on the use of pre-production kit. I tested the RF 24-70 today and the test images look great, from a technical viewpoint! The colours are nice, it’s really sharp and focuses fast. I am buying it tomorrow and shooting a wedding with it in the afternoon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
A minimum focus distance of 70cm for a magnification of only 0.23x suggests that there is going to be a lot of focus breathing on the RF 70-200mm f2.8. The EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II/III achieve 0.21x at 120cm, a whole 50cm further away.
By calculating the angle of view (from sensor), knowing the distance and size of subject, I get about 160mm focal length at MFD.
For L IS III that is ~250mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
The RF mount is a huge money making scheme :). At least the lenses are worth a lot of money because of the well-made optical designs and materials, but somehow I think some people really buy them without a lot of consideration.
Well, it‘s a hobby, we all like new toys and if you got the money left, why not?
I for instance, will keep my 200 ii lens even if I would buy a RF camera at some point. I use it rarely and I like it‘s not extending during zoom. There are other lenses I would buy first when switching to EF. Until then the good Canon adaptor will do.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The RF mount is a huge money making scheme :). At least the lenses are worth a lot of money because of the well-made optical designs and materials, but somehow I think some people really buy them without a lot of consideration.
Well, it‘s a hobby, we all like new toys and if you got the money left, why not?
I for instance, will keep my 200 ii lens even if I would buy a RF camera at some point. I use it rarely and I like it‘s not extending during zoom. There are other lenses I would buy first when switching to EF. Until then the good Canon adaptor will do.
Everything, absolutely everything, about business is about making money. Always has been. Always will be. FD mount was. EF mount was/is. RF mount is. So is Valentine's and Mother's day.

However... more consideration goes into making mama a card than buying one off the shelf.

Not everyone who buys into a camera system has a lot of money and takes on such a challenge lightly. Only the wealthy can do that.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2019

What is a smiley supposed to mean in the context of calling something a scheme?

Canon is trying to offer a product that competes well in a saturated market. What do you want them to do, give it away for free?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Although I generally agree, it also has slightly lower coma and much lower distortion. Might not be relevant for everybody, but at least for distortion the improvement is massive.
And, at least for me, 15 mm at f/2.8 with low coma makes my 15 mm Irix lens redundant, meaning that I can use one lens for all wide-angle requirements. Let's just hope that the zoom mechanism doesn't deteriorate too much over the years as otherwise the lens might change focal length when pointed upwards at 15 mm during long exposures...

That's a pretty easy fix: gaffer's tape or a "lens band" that is nothing more than one of those rubber wrist bracelets with a slogan on it that are so popular (and cheap). My EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS has had zoom creep for years. I use one of those wrist bands placed half on/half off the zoom ring and it doesn't budge due to gravity yet is still easy to twist with my fingers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I don't think that the L IS III has an effective focal length of 250mm at mfd. should be less than 200.

Most testers that measured it put the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II zoomed all the way to 200mm at around a 196mm FoV at MFD. When focused at infinity and zoomed all the way to 200mm, the measured FoV is actually about 189mm. So the FoV actually narrows slightly as the lens is focused closer. This is in direct contrast to the AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, which expands the FoV significantly as it is focused closer. Zoomed to 200mm the FoV when focused at infinity is about 195mm, but when focused at MFD, the AoV expands to a 140mm or so equivalent angle of view.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
That is not possible and is not true. The calculated FL at mfd is 172mm for the mk II/III. For the new RF I've now calculated FL = 106mm. These were calculated with well known equations.

Your equations are probably based on the premise of a single thin lens with no real thickness (which doesn't actually exist). Internal focusing compound lenses with the likes of 23 lens elements in 19 groups can vary greatly depending on which side of the back focal plane the moving element(s) are located. The Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II and III actually narrow the FoV as the lens is focused closer. Zoomed all the way to 200mm: at infinity the observed AoV is equivalent to 189mm, at MFD the observed AoV is equivalent to 196mm.

Upvote 0