Incredible Godox Witstro 360 flash (does HSS too!)

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
Jamesy said:
infared said:
They are not auto strobes, so you have to know what you are doing..(a good flash meter can be very valuable) but I am definitely a fan.
By auto strobe do you mean ETTL? Are they pure manual like most studio strobes?

That's right, these are fully manual flash heads, just like an Einstein, or most monobloc heads. It's not a big deal. The output controller is robust, large, illuminated and quick to use.

In event situations I often switch my 580EXII's to Manual just to be sure of constant output. ETTL is frequently easily confused by background density or black or white subjects, backgrounds or shiney elements in the shot such as a mirror, glass, polished steel etc. Just set to Manual, shoot a quick test, and then your quickest adjustments will be via aperture or iso. Altering the output on any speedlight is obviously fine too, but usually a second or so slower than an aperture or iso shift for those moments when the pressure is on.

ETTL would be nice on the Witstro, but the price would be much higher. With the speed Godox is developing their products, we may well see an ETTL Witstro some time in the future. If you absolutely have to have ETTL, then these lights are not for you.

-pw

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
wickidwombat said:
Any tips on where to get gel sets for this thing standard cto etc?
Probably not exactly what you want, but could be a useful start point:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Godox-AD-S11Color-Gel-Pack-Reflector-for-WITSTRO-flash-AD180-AD360-F482-/160958458788?pt=AU_Flashes&hash=item2579df2ba4
I generally buy sheets of CC gels and cut them out to the required sizes, if if I'm feeling lazy, I just clip an oversized sheet onto the dish. Same-same but different...

BTW, how's Witstro World? Bright?

-pw

Upvote 0