Industry News: Here are the first press images of the Nikon Z6 & Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The first press images of the Nikon Z6 and Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras have leaked over at Nokishita.
Also leaked are the first three lenses for the new mirrorless system.

Nikkor 24-70mm f/4 S
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 S
Nikkon 50mm f/1.8 S
Nikon FTZ F Mount Adaptor

nikon_3-168x168.jpg

nikon-168x168.jpg

nikon_1-168x168.jpg

nikon_2-168x168.jpg

nikon_5-168x168.jpg

nikon_6-168x168.jpg

nikon_7-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 2.49.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 2.49.47 PM.png
    260.7 KB · Views: 2,383
  • Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 2.49.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 2.49.55 PM.png
    263 KB · Views: 3,082
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Can't see any clear differences between the two body designs. Presume it's the two different sensors, but the form factor and controls look almost identical.

Tilt screen but not sure if it flips/swivels.

Chunky grip but a very compact left to right fit of features. RH finger space may be very tight.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Adaptor just looks like a passthrough, as EF might do. I don't see any glass in there for those hanging on to speedbooster / sneaky pellicle mirror adaptor ideas.
- A

This is kind of what I expect from Canon...... a removable extension that allows the use of EF lenses.... but I hope they keep to the XD sized body and use the EF lenses directly

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Wait, I thought the lenses were Z mount -- that's clearly what the adaptor suggests.

So what the hell is 'S'? It's on the badging, too. Like it's some family designation a la Canon L, Sigma Art, Contemporary, etc.

Is this some new 'mid level' line of lenses? Knowing Nikon, is there a gold one with a different letter coming? :rolleyes:

Also, WTH with the focus and zoom rings being so comically different in size?

Oh snap: no aperture rings anymore. Can't believe I missed that. Nikon partying like it's 1987 EF up in here.

- A

nikon_9.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
The control layout looks very nicely done. Hopefully good haptics.
There should be enough room for my squirrel-paws on the grip with the 2 function buttons right where I like them.
Still looks like CCW bayonet so not any more likely to accidentally unlock this system than F-mount.
Adapter doesn't need any optics in it... CDAF and PDAF can still do the job via the new system, hopefully will still be quick. Looks like enough volume in the lower portion to contain aperture lever and AF drive motors + tripod mount.

It's an attractive looking design, I like it better than Sony's..

Now if the specs and feature list are similarly sexy....

Uh-oh... I feel a potential GAS-attack coming on...
Good thing I got my replacement visa in the mail today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
It should be noted that they are not opening with super small lenses. That 24-70 (according to the nikon side of the obsessives) pegged that lens as being about as long as our 24-70 f/4, and the 35 / 50 1.8 primes look Tamron sized (which is to say, not small but not huge).

But they also aren't opening with pricey high-end lenses. Interesting.

- A

Upvote 0
It should be noted that they are not opening with super small lenses. That 24-70 (according to the nikon side of the obsessives) pegged that lens as being about as long as our 24-70 f/4, and the 35 / 50 1.8 primes look Tamron sized (which is to say, not small but not huge).

But they also aren't opening with pricey high-end lenses. Interesting.

- A

Probably a good idea. As long as the optics are well corrected, light weight lenses are a good way to kick off a mirrorless system. I imagine Nikon might try to make a kit option for the 24-70 f/4. And I hope the smart adapter is capable of allowing the existing G AF-S lenses to function almost as if they were native.

The "S" designation on the lens is interesting. I'm not sure if that means standard for something like an STM Canon equivalent, or maybe something else? I doubt this, but since the lettering is colored silver, maybe they plan on using metallic colors for ranking tiers of their glass: S-silver, G-gold, P-platinum, etc. Probably not, but I guess we'll find out in a few more hours.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The "S" designation on the lens is interesting. I'm not sure if that means standard for something like an STM Canon equivalent, or maybe something else? I doubt this, but since the lettering is colored silver, maybe they plan on using metallic colors for ranking tiers of their glass: S-silver, G-gold, P-platinum, etc. Probably not, but I guess we'll find out in a few more hours.

S is indeed the mystery. Theories / comments:

1) Could be focusing related, but stepping motor lenses are branded 'P' and not 'S'.

2) The S is silver colored, and we know Nikon loves gold... so perhaps this is indeed the silver level of good lens and a fancier / bigger / faster line will get different branding.

3) What's not on any of these lenses? VR. Could that be a tell on IBIS? We wouldn't expect lens IS on wide and standard prime, but I absolutely think we should expect it on a 24-70 f/4 kit zoom. It not being there tips the scales a bit from 'IBIS possible' towards 'IBIS probable'.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Can't see any clear differences between the two body designs. Presume it's the two different sensors, but the form factor and controls look almost identical.

Tilt screen but not sure if it flips/swivels.

Chunky grip but a very compact left to right fit of features. RH finger space may be very tight.

- A
Same bodies so as to keep cost of manufacturing down and help bring down the cost.

Adaptor just looks like a passthrough, as EF might do. I don't see any glass in there for those hanging on to speedbooster / sneaky pellicle mirror adaptor ideas.

View attachment 179805

- A
I feel like screw drive is missing so full functionality with AF-S lenses only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
S is indeed the mystery. Theories / comments:

1) Could be focusing related, but stepping motor lenses are branded 'P' and not 'S'.

2) The S is silver colored, and we know Nikon loves gold... so perhaps this is indeed the silver level of good lens and a fancier / bigger / faster line will get different branding.

3) What's not on any of these lenses? VR. Could that be a tell on IBIS? We wouldn't expect lens IS on wide and standard prime, but I absolutely think we should expect it on a 24-70 f/4 kit zoom. It not being there tips the scales a bit from 'IBIS possible' towards 'IBIS probable'.

- A

I guess S is most likely for a line of lenses like Sigma C. IBIS was rumored so most likely these bodies have IBIS and as you have observed there sounds like no VR on the lenses. Something inside me tells these are focus by wire lenses like Sony lenses. I was hoping Nikon will change that. If Nikon goes FBW then I guess most likely Canon will follow suite if Canon ever decided to release a mirroless camera ;) and lenses specifically designed for mirrorless cameras

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
This is kind of what I expect from Canon...... a removable extension that allows the use of EF lenses.... but I hope they keep to the XD sized body and use the EF lenses directly

I don't see a motor drive or aperture lever in the adapter, I think that one is still needed for the tons of "D" lenses with motor drives. If Nikon abandons them, I think that they will lose some customers. Perhaps a adapter is coming for the older lenses later.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
I don't see a motor drive or aperture lever in the adapter, I think that one is still needed for the tons of "D" lenses with motor drives. If Nikon abandons them, I think that they will lose some customers. Perhaps a adapter is coming for the older lenses later.

Unless you saw a picture that shows the F mount side of the adapter I guess there is no way to say for sure at this point. But my guess is that most likely there is no motor drives in the adapter but that is just a wild guess

Upvote 0