Industry News: Major Sony photography announcement July 16, 2019 at 10AM ET

Feb 6, 2019
Austin, Tx
prodorshak.com
At SAR, judging by the comments section, it looks like people are disappointed! Many comments about absence of flippy screen and no 4K 60p. Will canon achieve something like what they did with 5D mk II in next 12 months? Is the next R body the answer? If the existing R is equivalent to 6DII on DSLR side, does that mean a 5D equivalent (but better) R is coming out with REVOLUTIONARY features? I am thinking too much..No..I am too optimistic..No..I spend too much time on things that I might never buy. :cry::unsure:

Quarkcharmed

EOS 5DMkIV
Feb 14, 2018
Australia
www.michaelborisenko.com
They have claimed 15 stops of DR since the original A7r, the MkII had less than the original and so did the MkIII so it doesn’t look good. Further it is still a 14 bit file so I don’t see it.
Technically you can only fit 15 stops of DR into 14 bits by using a non-linear ADC. It's fine but native 16 bits would really make it comparable to top medium-format cameras.
"16-bit processing with 14-bit image files" - I have no idea what that means (re: https://www.colbybrownphotography.com/taking-the-new-sony-a7r-iv-to-alaska/ ), we have 16-bit processing for all images in Lightroom or Photoshop, for example. It's not something unique to Sony.

amorse

EOS 7D MK II
Jan 26, 2017
www.flickr.com
It looks like an interesting camera, but I think some of the most important claims are hard to see and communicate - the upgraded grip and weather sealing. I think I'd have to see how those actually stack up in real world use.

Still curious about low light capability though. I guess Sony is sticking with a 2 year cycle for their a7R series - I have to wonder how many buyers out there are willing to upgrade that rapidly!

It's not likely the camera for me, but it's interesting to see where they think the market wants to go.

xps

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 19, 2011
Middle Europe
Hmm, 15 stop DR is nice but not a huge step from 14.6/7 or what ever the 3RIII has.
I’m also not so hyped about the 61MP, as this means probably worse low light performance and longer processing work (one raw file is 120MB!)

Probably though a nice thing for birds or sport with the 10shots/sec and the better AF system
Yes 10fps and the A9 AF system will work fine for birds. And a lot area to crop :geek:
I´d be pleased with an R with lets say 40-50MP and 10-12fps AND an fast AF system with an joystick :giggle:

RayValdez360

EOS RP
Jun 6, 2012
Yet it takes how many years to bring a product to market? I chuckle every time I see a comment about one company hurrying up to beat or match another's product release/cycle.
this is the second cycle since the 5D IV though. I dont know if sony even cares at this point about beating someone's cycle since the a7s iii didnt even come out yet but we have Panasonic making cameras with better video specs/features for years.

Han

Aug 27, 2015
Amsterdam
Come on Canon, surprise me! ( I don't want a Sony, but I need their high dynamic range!).
30,3 Megapixel is enough for me. I don't want more pixels, I just want better pixels!!!! : A 16 stop Dynamic range, two card slots and IBIS will do! (If Canon remains silent about the specs and delivery date of the EOS R-pro much longer, I will buy a metabones EF to Sony adapter PLUS Techartpro EF to fuji GFX adapter. And yes: 2 cameras: the SonyA7RIV for commercial work and the Fuji GFX50r just for FUN).

xps

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 19, 2011
Middle Europe
It looks like an interesting camera, but I think some of the most important claims are hard to see and communicate - the upgraded grip and weather sealing. I think I'd have to see how those actually stack up in real world use.

Still curious about low light capability though. I guess Sony is sticking with a 2 year cycle for their a7R series - I have to wonder how many buyers out there are willing to upgrade that rapidly!

It's not likely the camera for me, but it's interesting to see where they think the market wants to go.
I ordered my MK III 18 month ago - for 4000 bugs. And I´m not willed to upgrade each 2 years. I´m upgrading Canon gear in the next month. Sony gear will be upgraded in 2 years. (As far as I´m not to shaky to hold this gear).

Reactions: edoorn

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
Yet it takes how many years to bring a product to market? I chuckle every time I see a comment about one company hurrying up to beat or match another's product release/cycle.
The way companies like these two behemoths work, is they have multiple products in development. Canon has various iterations of what it will release next, and yes, despite what the armchair CEOs on this site suggest, they pay attention to the competition within the market.

max_sr

EOS T7i
Jan 8, 2019
Grip looks improved but might still be a little tight with some of the wider G Master lenses. If they get the ergonomics right, which has really been the only negative of the alpha's, they should have a winner.

They must have gotten tired of reading the glowing GFX 100 reviews and decided to pre-announce to cut into all the Fuji love that's been going around. The RIV appears to have a full frame slice of the same sensor so for most togs it's probably a more practical solution.
They moved the grip slightly further away from the lens mount.

max_sr

EOS T7i
Jan 8, 2019
all in all sounds like a great camera, but the stories yesterday of 'crazy specs' seem a bit overrated now. It's I think the expected evolutionary move from possibly the best high res mirrorless to an even better one.
It would be completely crazy, if it was a Canon camera.

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
How many other 60+ MP full frame sensor bodies are out there? Mirrorless?

It's new ground.
How many photos can only be taken with mirrorless 60+MP with full frame sensors? There are no boundaries being pushed.

Canon have had flipping and swiveling screens on FF cameras for years, Canon have had the highest resolution FF sensor for years, Canon have had 4K 60 for years...

I don’t expect the Canon R high resolution model to break any new ground either,. To me this sounds like Sony got wind of the final specs of the high resolution mirrorless model Canon are set to release and wanted some headlines, however short lived. There is stuff Sony do better than Canon, there is stuff Canon have been putting out for years that Sony to this day do not do.

Aug 1, 2017
Remarkably unprofessional, awkward and seemingly hastily prepared press event. I wonder what drove them to drop this now when they aren't shipping for a few months?

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
Jason Vong has a livestream posted that shows off some of the ergos well. The body is slightly larger vs the mark iii. The grip is taller, and has more space for fingers against the lens area.

Ergos still look like crap relative to an EOS R.

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
How many photos can only be taken with mirrorless 60+MP with full frame sensors? There are no boundaries being pushed.
LOL. Really?

Canon have had flipping and swiveling screens on FF cameras for years, Canon have had the highest resolution FF sensor for years, Canon have had 4K 60 for years...
They don't anymore.

I don’t expect the Canon R high resolution model to break any new ground either,. To me this sounds like Sony got wind of the final specs of the high resolution mirrorless model Canon are set to release and wanted some headlines, however short lived. There is stuff Sony do better than Canon, there is stuff Canon have been putting out for years that Sony to this day do not do.
We agree for the most part. I do think the new Canon high res R will break new ground though. I think it'll use Canon's new sensors, which will jump ahead of Sony in the MP race. My worry is they won't have the DR capability to match.

amorse

EOS 7D MK II
Jan 26, 2017
www.flickr.com
So the Sony A7RIV has the same dynamic range as the Fuji GFX 50 ? WOW.
I'd take the dynamic range claims with a grain of salt until some tests are done. Every manufacturer says that have great improved DR in their press releases and quote huge numbers, but in practice the DR is often pretty similar to the manufacturer's previous models. I like http://www.photonstophotos.net/ and they way they show it. I went get to worked up until I see some charts there.

Reactions: Han

privatebydesign

Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Jan 29, 2011
LOL. Really?

They don't anymore.

We agree for the most part. I do think the new Canon high res R will break new ground though. I think it'll use Canon's new sensors, which will jump ahead of Sony in the MP race. My worry is they won't have the DR capability to match.
Don’t be foolish and believe the hype. The 5D mkIV already has more DR capacity than any Sony, Canon just choose to use it a different way. 14 bit captures are 14 bit captures, there will be no noticeable increase in DR until a manufacturer has to move to 16 bit RAW files.

I don’t call an entirely predictable modest resolution increase new ground. It just isn’t.