Industry News: Major Sony photography announcement July 16, 2019 at 10AM ET

melgross

EOS RP
Nov 2, 2016
This does look like a good camera. Even if the 15 stops uses some form of computational photography, if it works well, that’s really all that matters. After all, if we can’t get detail at those low levels now, with what we have, and we can get it with this, even if it isn’t perfect, that’s a significant advance. Detail in heavy shadows is better than no detail and noise.

now we’ll have to see what Canon comes up with . loyd Chambers at Digiloyd.com says that the multi framing capability of the new Panasonic, at about 185MP is so much better than anything else out there, including medium format (when it can be used, of course), that everything else looks soft. We’ll have to see how well this works on this new Sony, because previously their method hasn’t been very successful.

and that also raises the bar for Canon, because their new mirrorless lenses seem to be setting records for quality.

Reactions: Pape and Randywayne

Sharlin

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
How many other 60+ MP full frame sensor bodies are out there? Mirrorless?
60 MP is a fairly incremental improvement compared to the 50 MP of the four-year-old 5Ds. The pixel density is about the same as in the ubiquitous 24 MP crop sensors. Evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Kit.

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 25, 2011
...wait, what? First Sony camera to have WiFi tethering will only ship in September?

Looks like Sony is playing catch-up.

jayphotoworks

EOS 80D
Aug 11, 2016
Don’t be foolish and believe the hype. The 5D mkIV already has more DR capacity than any Sony, Canon just choose to use it a different way. 14 bit captures are 14 bit captures, there will be no noticeable increase in DR until a manufacturer has to move to 16 bit RAW files.

I don’t call an entirely predictable modest resolution increase new ground. It just isn’t.
I think one of the takeaways from the announcement is Eye AF in video mode which up to this point has only been available in stills. They've also improved the ergonomics by carrying over the MyDial feature from the A6400, locking the exposure dial and redesigning the grip/buttons as I hated bumping into the exposure dial all the time when my R3/3/9 camera was on a carrier. Not sure about the improved weather sealing, but the A7III and EOS R were about level in terms of weather sealing based on past reviews for the most part.

Aside from that the new shotgun mic is also nice which I could probably replace my existing Sony Shotgun K2M kit with. The multi-interface shoe has been exceptionally handy for video work which I use all the time as you don't need sloppy 3.5mm cables or AA batteries for phantom power. The new mic is a lot smaller and has multiple pickup modes which means carrying a smaller kit around.

Everything else was expected and not overly exciting. Dual UHS-II was probably needed to handle dual 60MP redundant writes with any sort of acceptable speed. But in terms of video specs alone, it is largely the same as what is already on the 3rd gen bodies. It didn't even get a stacked sensor, so the readout probably won't be much different. Sony decided not to offer 4k60 either, which I expected since it would probably eat into the S3 spec sheet.

FWIW, Sony has 2 more bodies to be announced between now and September based on rumors: One RX body and obviously the A7SIII. Everything is a few months out anyways, so it will be interesting to see what Canon's upcoming flagship looks like.

Reactions: PGSanta
Aug 1, 2017
Don’t be foolish and believe the hype. The 5D mkIV already has more DR capacity than any Sony, Canon just choose to use it a different way. 14 bit captures are 14 bit captures, there will be no noticeable increase in DR until a manufacturer has to move to 16 bit RAW files.

I don’t call an entirely predictable modest resolution increase new ground. It just isn’t.
These latest Sony sensors do support 16 bit capture. I suspect they may be capturing in 16 bit and then sampling down to record in 14 bit. The FujiFIlm GFX 100, which uses a scaled up version of the same core chip, can capture in 16 bit and record 16 bit RAW and TIFF. I expect the sony could as well but I doubt there would be much improvement in IQ, the frame rate would be cut in half, the files would be huge and require a lot processing for compression. Doubt it would be worth it for full frame.

Antono Refa

EOS 7D MK II
Mar 26, 2014
74% coverage? That sounds a bit meh. Otherwise, curious to see real world tests of that sensor. And a 5.76 million dot evf is very nice...
74% coverage is roughly 0.85 squared, so the uncovered area is <10% of each edge.

How much of a need is there for an AF point so close to the picture's edge?

Which lenses offer a good enough IQ to AF there in face of vignetting, focus field being sufficiently planar, etc?

navastronia

5D Classic
Aug 31, 2018
Seems like a nice camera. If I were a Sony customer, I'd be excited. As a Canon customer, I applaud Nikon and Sony every time they release something that raises the bar a bit.
Whoa man. That’s a pretty rational thing to say. Are you SURE you’re a camera forumer? ;)