Industry News: Major Sony photography announcement July 16, 2019 at 10AM ET

PGSanta

EOS 80D
Sep 5, 2018
San Diego, CA
...wait, what? First Sony camera to have WiFi tethering will only ship in September?

Looks like Sony is playing catch-up.
Something super desperate about this comment.
I think one of the takeaways from the announcement is Eye AF in video mode which up to this point has only been available in stills. They've also improved the ergonomics by carrying over the MyDial feature from the A6400, locking the exposure dial and redesigning the grip/buttons as I hated bumping into the exposure dial all the time when my R3/3/9 camera was on a carrier. Not sure about the improved weather sealing, but the A7III and EOS R were about level in terms of weather sealing based on past reviews for the most part.

Aside from that the new shotgun mic is also nice which I could probably replace my existing Sony Shotgun K2M kit with. The multi-interface shoe has been exceptionally handy for video work which I use all the time as you don't need sloppy 3.5mm cables or AA batteries for phantom power. The new mic is a lot smaller and has multiple pickup modes which means carrying a smaller kit around.

Everything else was expected and not overly exciting. Dual UHS-II was probably needed to handle dual 60MP redundant writes with any sort of acceptable speed. But in terms of video specs alone, it is largely the same as what is already on the 3rd gen bodies. It didn't even get a stacked sensor, so the readout probably won't be much different. Sony decided not to offer 4k60 either, which I expected since it would probably eat into the S3 spec sheet.

FWIW, Sony has 2 more bodies to be announced between now and September based on rumors: One RX body and obviously the A7SIII. Everything is a few months out anyways, so it will be interesting to see what Canon's upcoming flagship looks like.
I think Canon is going to surprise people. It "feels" like they are sitting on something. I could be wrong of course. IMO the big tell will come with the next sensor. If they choose to rehash the 5DSR sensor into the high res model, I think it signals they've fallen pretty far behind in sensor development. We know they have had FF high MP sensors in the development pipeline for years; if they don't bring them out now, it's probably because they don't compete well against the Sonys (on some level, cost, DR, whatever). I think Sony is really pushing to force Canon into a position where it has to use Sony sensors, that alone would be an absolutely huge win for Sony within the market.

max_sr

EOS T7i
Jan 8, 2019
Something super desperate about this comment.

I think Canon is going to surprise people. It "feels" like they are sitting on something. I could be wrong of course. IMO the big tell will come with the next sensor. If they choose to rehash the 5DSR sensor into the high res model, I think it signals they've fallen pretty far behind in sensor development.
It has felt like Canon is sitting on something for 5+ years. But I don't know, if it's anything other than their butts.

And I don't think they can reuse the 5DSR sensor, because it doesn't have DPAF. Unless of course they go back to contrast AF only (seems to work for Panasonic).

Reactions: canonical

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
Don’t be foolish and believe the hype. The 5D mkIV already has more DR capacity than any Sony, Canon just choose to use it a different way. 14 bit captures are 14 bit captures, there will be no noticeable increase in DR until a manufacturer has to move to 16 bit RAW files.
The new Sony sensor has 15-bit DR just like my new iPhone has 5G.

Reactions: stevelee and ethanz

Hector1970

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 22, 2012
I think Sony is really pushing to force Canon into a position where it has to use Sony sensors, that alone would be an absolutely huge win for Sony within the market.
This would be something I'd be very curious about. I'd say Canon is probably internally always debating whether to continue with Sensor Development or just buy them in from Sony or elsewhere.
It's hard to keep pushing forward on what sensors can do.
Hopefully their between security business and camera they are putting alot of effort in.
R&D in this area is probably expensive and difficult to make major improvements.
If there is little scope for improvement it might make more sense to buy the sensor in.
When sensors got to 24MP I'd have thought it was all I needed.
Then I got a 50 MP 5DSR and thought why would I need more.
Now 100 MP Full Frame seems reasonably close to arriving.
It must surely be a diminishing return at some point. Storage is a pain.

AlanF

Everyone sits in the prison of his own ideas. A E
Aug 16, 2012
It has felt like Canon is sitting on something for 5+ years. But I don't know, if it's anything other than their butts.

And I don't think they can reuse the 5DSR sensor, because it doesn't have DPAF. Unless of course they go back to contrast AF only (seems to work for Panasonic).
Panasonic has sunk a lot of effort into their focus by defocussing algorithms and specific information about their own lenses to substitute for phase detection, which gives them a currently unique position.

canonical

EOS 80D
Jul 3, 2019
Or maybe Sony really just is that far ahead.
yes. At least as far as sensor tech is concerned. If Canon could bring a camera with the very specs of A7R4 today, they would do so and charge 7k for it, instead of 3.5k :eek:

What I like most about A7Rm4 as well as Panasonic S1/R is that we are finally getting to next step in OLED EVF resolution: UXGA (1600x1200 (x3 = 5.7M dots). I don't care about 4k-video capture, but really would like a 4k resolution EVF in my next camera. :)

Last edited:

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Aug 9, 2018
Canon is doomed. Time to send all your Canon gear to me for proper disposal (for customs purposes, please declare it as a gift with no monetary value, as it is essentially garbage).
Need your address!
Me want buy Wonderful Sony.
Oops: error, 1 hour ago, in a state of utter mental confusion, I just bought the EOS R for the second time, the first one having been sold for a 5 D IV.
I'm so ashamed for having bought these doomed cameras.
PS: my next camera will be the EOS R "pro", Wonderful Sony's wonderful cameras are just too good for me, I don't deserve them.:cry::cry::cry:

tron

EOS 5D SR
Nov 8, 2011
Need your address!
Me want buy Wonderful Sony.
Oops: error, 1 hour ago, in a state of utter mental confusion, I just bought the EOS R for the second time, the first one having been sold for a 5 D IV.
I'm so ashamed for having bought these doomed cameras.
PS: my next camera will be the EOS R "pro", Wonderful Sony's wonderful cameras are just too good for me, I don't deserve them.:cry::cry::cry:
Even worse 2 weeks ago I bought my second 5DsR !!!