Industry News: Nikon announces development of the D6 and AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
It is nice that Nikon is signaling continued support of its legacy lens mount. Canon has said they will continue with the EF mount but an actual lens release would back up those words with action. Given that the Sigma version is about $3,000 with a $500 rebate, I would expect the Nikon version to be at least $4,000.
More than $4000. I recon around $6000-ish if not $6,500 in US dollars.

I sold my Sigma 120-300 due to the lens weight constraints. Just Handholding is fine but handholding and zooming at the same time is problematic. Heavy.... full stop.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Don't forget the four card slots.
So I must be an idiot who when designing DC-DR adds redundancy at each level of the system. In case if storage its atleast quadruple redundant. For consumers as well redundancy is a necessity(for storage) and should not be a castrated option like what Canon does on its "non-Pro" cameras.

Upvote 0
So I must be an idiot who when designing DC-DR adds redundancy at each level of the system. In case if storage its atleast quadruple redundant. For consumers as well redundancy is a necessity(for storage) and should not be a castrated option like what Canon does on its "non-Pro" cameras.
I thought the comment of "4 card slots" was in jest? I think it'll have dual cf-express, just like the c500 that was released today has and the 1dxIII is expected to have.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I thought the comment of "4 card slots" was in jest? I think it'll have dual cf-express, just like the c500 that was released today has and the 1dxIII is expected to have.
Considering Canon didnt go all out to support CFast with 1Dx mk II, I expect the something similar happening with 1Dx Mk III we will see miscarriage of technology adoption. C500 mk II got the latest and greatest as its a 16000$ product which might end up in rental houses. I really get annoyed everytime there are comments making joke about redundancy(storage subsystem) as it is one of the easiest ways to mitigate data loss.

Upvote 0
I prefer multiple card slots, but the 4 slot was just a joke....

Considering Canon didnt go all out to support CFast with 1Dx mk II, I expect the something similar happening with 1Dx Mk III we will see miscarriage of technology adoption. C500 mk II got the latest and greatest as its a 16000$ product which might end up in rental houses. I really get annoyed everytime there are comments making joke about redundancy(storage subsystem) as it is one of the easiest ways to mitigate data loss.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Not much of announcement. Not even what the resolution of the sensor is or if it will have ibis. Nothing other than "We're working on a pro camera and nice lens".Wow! What a shocker. Who would have anticipated something so amazing! I think I'll go and announce that I'm working on an interstellar space drive ... details to follow.
Did anyone make note of the fact that the lens announced is the same focal range and f-stop of the now 'venerable' SIGMA 120-300mm f2.8?

Upvote 0
GMC has conducted a long, pathetic and uninformed campaign against this lens, shouting accusations whenever the focal length range is mentioned. I debunked them a long time ago here on CR, in particular his nonsensical tirades about focal length at minimum focus distance. He is aware, that I debunked his BS, but spouts it nonetheless.

It's up to anyone's guess why he continues it ...

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2019
It doesn’t mean that Canon’s version will be just as bad. Take the 24-70mm 2.8 for instance, canon did a much better just that sigma with this.

Well...if it's a variant of the gawdawful Sigma 120-300 f2.8 OS then Canon has nothing to worry about. Slow and ponderous AF...looses all it's magnification at min focus (down to about 240mm), an OS system that is jarring and a size / weight to break anyone's back.

Upvote 0