Industry News: Nikon announces the Nikon Z50 APS-C mirrorless camera body & DX Z-mount lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (October 10, 2019 at 12:01 A.M. EDT) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the next Z series mirrorless camera, the DX-format Nikon Z 50, along with two new companion NIKKOR Z lenses, the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR and NIKKOR Z DX 50-250mm f/4.5-6.3 VR. The new Nikon Z 50 takes full advantage of Nikon’s larger Z mount, providing creators of all types with the most innovative optical system for superior image and video quality. The compact and lightweight Nikon Z 50 was made for unique individuals seeking a camera that has the speed, portability and style to keep pace and share their creative storytelling and imagination, especially when paired with the new ultra-compact 16-50mm zoom and the slim 50-250mm telephoto zoom lenses.

(deployads = window.deployads || []).push({});

“The new Nikon Z 50 is a small yet capable camera that brings the best of the Nikon Z series to all kinds of creators to discover, share and engage,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive...

Continue reading...

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Better specs in almost everything but the mount and lens as well.
Sigma is going to make lenses for Ef-M mount so thats also an advantage for Canon apart from decent primes which Canon themselves are selling. Also it will take atleast 2-3 years before there are good crop Z mount lenses made by either Nikon or 3rd party makers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sigma is going to make lenses for Ef-M mount so thats also an advantage for Canon apart from decent primes which Canon themselves are selling. Also it will take atleast 2-3 years before there are good crop Z mount lenses made by either Nikon or 3rd party makers.
i'd still prefer the upgradibility of using the full frame z lenses.

My same argument applies to canon making an rf mount aps-c. (insert ob canon "Please take the M6ii internals and place them in a R body, or even an RP body, add a bit more buffer and call it a day") edit: (and take my money!!!)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
EF, EF-S, RF lenses and (future) RF Aps-C lenses.
Exactly, all of the above. I would use my adapter for the 18-135 ef-s standard lens to start unless they came out with a wider full frame 'kit' than the current 24-105 f4. I'd then continue to use it with the 70-200 2.8 ef, along with a few ef primes. But I could then start working on buying r mount lenses, especially when they release the f4 versions and 1.8 primes that seem like they will be coming out next year.

I'll buy and reach for the occasional expensive lens category. I also would probably consider buying a full frame body in the future, but would want the aps-c for sports. I almost bought a 6dmii but decided to wait a bit. I rented a R and loved it, decided mirrorless is my future as well, i just want to wait for aps-c for my primary shooting (bmx and other bike racing).

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

My same argument applies to canon making an rf mount aps-c. (insert ob canon "Please take the M6ii internals and place them in a R body, or even an RP body, add a bit more buffer and call it a day") edit: (and take my money!!!)

I think in a couple years we'll see an RPII that's full frame and exceeds the 90D for specs while matching the cost. I'm becoming more and more convinced that there's no future for APS-C RF.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
"Unlike its full-frame siblings, the Nikon Z50 lacks any physical form of dust reduction for its sensor, instead relying on the ability to capture a dust-off reference photo which can then be used to remove dust from your images automatically in software for as long as the dust particles predominantly remain in the same locations."

Ye gods!
I think in a couple years we'll see an RPII that's full frame and exceeds the 90D for specs while matching the cost. I'm becoming more and more convinced that there's no future for APS-C RF.
To exceed the specs of the 90D, that RPII would have to have an 80+ Mpx sensor and an OVF. There is a real niche for high density sensors and OVFs, and the 90D fits it really nicely. If it sells well, we'll see more of them - cameras that combine the best of mirrorless and mirrored.

Upvote 0

If that's your argument, that's about it.

I have an M5 and completely enjoy it. No real limitations, because I have a 5DS, EOS R and 5D mk ii which really open the real door to the main event of shooting.

Upvote 0
good of them not to introduce a new mount just for cropped sensors on top of the already disruptive switch to Z. All the full frame Z glass will just mount w/o clunky adapters and even "crop mode" should work on full frame bodies using cropped sensor glass. In other words: how it should be because you're in the same lens system so you shouldn't be expected to rebuy all your glass for cropped or full frame. If you're already taking the plunge and going or did invest in mirrorless, your Z lenses should just mount regardless of which Nikon Z body you own.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
All the full frame Z glass will just mount w/o clunky adapters and even "crop mode" should work on full frame bodies using cropped sensor glass.
The flipside to that is that each lens you put on your compact camera is now 8mm wider than if you used a APS-C specific mount like Canon Ef-m (And Sony E :LOL:).

The EOS M system is the most efficient way to get small and light. The Nikon APS-C mirrorless offering already makes a compromise in that regard due to the mount.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
I seem to recall, but my memory may have failed, that there was a recent list of optimal flange diameters for lens design and the EF-M was particularly good. Perhaps someone can dig it up.

Look at Sony all alone at the bottom of the list... Their fans always have some excuse for their (relatively) lousy mount though, even though it was clearly never designed for full frame sensors. Unsurprisingly, it does have a very good APS-C score.

Upvote 0