Industry News: Nikon officially announces their flagship D6 DSLR

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (February 11, 2020) – Today, Nikon Inc. has unveiled the D6, a new professional-grade DSLR built for those in need of extreme reliability and ultimate performance. The D6 addresses the needs of professionals and press agencies and is faster and more powerful than ever before. Offering the most powerful AF system in Nikon’s history, this flagship DSLR camera delivers crucial improvements to modern workflow while also accelerating file transfer capabilities. Promising unparalleled low-light performance, powerful agility, advanced 4K UHD multimedia capabilities, and a mechanical shutter frame rate boosted to a staggering 14fps, the D6 will redefine the way pros work.

“The D6 is purpose-built and inspired by the valuable feedback of professional users,” said Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President of Nikon Inc. “The world relies on photojournalists and professionals to document every corner of the globe through impactful...

Continue reading...

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"For faster frame rates, the Nikon D6 is able to take 2-megapixel images at approx. 60 fps and 8-megapixel images at 30 fps in Live View mode"

Basically advertising frame grabs is pretty brutal. Especially if your '8-megapixel' mode, a.k.a. 4K, only does 30 FPS.

The AF improvements are probably the most interesting thing about this from my perspective (somebody not remotely interested in a 6K body, especially if it is stuck using F mount lenses).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm sure it will sell well, but I'm a bit worried about Nikon for the long run. I would have expected the D6 to be much closer to the 1DXIII in specs; though as always, real world usability will win the day. The more good camera manufacturers and successful bodies out there, the better for competition and the better for us.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
FYI the large German camera store Calumet has a little AF tracking test up already:

The first half is just listing the specs, the second half is demonstrating AF tracking with a subject moving towards the camera as well as parallel to the camera. Doesn't look bad, the direct comparison with Canon will be cool to see.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
"For faster frame rates, the Nikon D6 is able to take 2-megapixel images at approx. 60 fps and 8-megapixel images at 30 fps in Live View mode"

Basically advertising frame grabs is pretty brutal. Especially if your '8-megapixel' mode, a.k.a. 4K, only does 30 FPS.

Yeah, I mean, the 1DX2 does 8MP frame grabs at 60 fps, albeit at a slight crop, and you have to switch to movie mode to do that. But still.

Upvote 0
My first thought after Polin's review, was Nikon could have skipped the upgrade altogether.

The D5 is a great camera. At least I think it would be hard to to knock. So if something new comes mirrorless in the next year or two, maybe Nikon would nave taken less criticism had they simply stuck with the D5 for a while longer in the DSLR range. I shoot Canon, but anyone I know with a D5 says they love their camera.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
My first thought after Polin's review, was Nikon could have skipped the upgrade altogether.

The D5 is a great camera. At least I think it would be hard to to knock. So if something new comes mirrorless in the next year or two, maybe Nikon would nave taken less criticism had they simply stuck with the D5 for a while longer in the DSLR range. I shoot Canon, but anyone I know with a D5 says they love their camera.

Yes, but one can see how in 1-2 generations, Canon will ween it's 1-series folks off of mirrors*. The mirrorless features on the 1DX3 are (in some ways) *upgrades* to the mirrored use case. There is a carrot being dangled to the 1-series crowd that mirrorless is not just a fad and that is can provide new value to even the most set-in-their-ways stills users.

*I'm not saying the 1-series will die anytime soon. We'll probably obsolete that SLR line dead last of all. But at least Canon has an exit strategy for it. The D6 was an opportunity for Nikon to build similar inroads to mirrorless so that when they do drop a gripped sports Z rig, it won't be a cliff to jump off of for D5 users. This D6 does not appear to do that.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Yes, but one can see how in 1-2 generations, Canon will ween it's 1-series folks off of mirrors*. The mirrorless features on the 1DX3 are (in some ways) *upgrades* to the mirrored use case. There is a carrot being dangled to the 1-series crowd that mirrorless is not just a fad and that is can provide new value to even the most set-in-their-ways stills users.

*I'm not saying the 1-series will die anytime soon. We'll probably obsolete that SLR line dead last of all. But at least Canon has an exit strategy for it. The D6 was an opportunity for Nikon to build similar inroads to mirrorless so that when they do drop a gripped sports Z rig, it won't be a cliff to jump off of for D5 users. This D6 does not appear to do that.

- A
I imagine that the mk III will be the last DSLR Canon makes for the top end. This should be around for 4 years, which would be typical. But Canon isn’t going to wait 4 years before coming out with an R series equivakent. I would be shocked if it’s not within 2 years. A bit over a year ago, Canon said that the EVF was the problem. That until they could get that at least equal to the optical viewfinder, they couldn’t do it. So it’s been a good 18 months since that statement. We’ll see how much better the R5 and R6 EVFs’ are. That should give us some idea as to the progress they’re making.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
For faster frame rates, the Nikon D6 is able to take 2-megapixel images at approx. 60 fps and 8-megapixel images at 30 fps in Live View mode.
Nice feature that I would like to see on the 1DX Mark III in a future firmware update. As Canon has stated, although their video quality is excellent, grabbing frames from video footage is not the same as stills.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, for those here complaining about the new 1Ds mk III, this new Nikon should come as a big disappointment. After all, it makes the new Canon look great. It seems that Nikon supporters are more disappointed by this than disappointed Canon users are over the mk III. And for good reason.
1Ds mk III?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
TBH reading some of the stuff is pretty harsh. Yes, the specs aren't looking great compared to a 1DX III. But it should still deliver amazing performance with that new AF sensor (the number of points is meaningless), and 14 FPS vs 16 FPS is probably a moot difference for most folks. LiveView on the 1DX III sounds great, but may not be used that much anyway. So the only remaining difference are the video features.

But on the other hand, with how much bad press Canon gets, it's nice to see team red mentioned in a positive light for once, lol.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not happy:

- A
You got me to click on this garbage, whose take home message is that the A9 II is the future. I suppose he is what we Brits say about Marmite or our Aussie brothers Vegemite: you hate it or love it. The AF stuff is nonsense. The previous Nikon AF module runs rings around all the mirrorless with thousands of points apart from the A9 II. And the A9 II was castigated for being a minor upgrade over the A9. It's not the number of AF points that count but what the camera does with them. I suppose I had better get used to mirrorless.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
TBH reading some of the stuff is pretty harsh. Yes, the specs aren't looking great compared to a 1DX III. But it should still deliver amazing performance with that new AF sensor (the number of points is meaningless), and 14 FPS vs 16 FPS is probably a moot difference for most folks. LiveView on the 1DX III sounds great, but may not be used that much anyway. So the only remaining difference are the video features.

But on the other hand, with how much bad press Canon gets, it's nice to see team red mentioned in a positive light for once, lol.
The trolls are having field days on all the photo forums. Just about every new model from every manufacturer is being panned. But, in practice they are all damned good.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0