Industry News: Nikon's Full Frame Mirrorless to Be Announced August 23, 2018

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>Over the last 24 hours, a lot of leaks have come out showing Nikon’s new full frame mirrorless system with the rumored new “Z mount”.</p>
<p>Nikon Rumors has posted a ton of analysis from the teaser video and leaked images of the new system.</p>
<p>For all of the leaked images and analysis, <a href="https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/24/more-on-of-the-nikon-mirrorless-camera-teaser.aspx/">head over to Nikon Rumors</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Apr 23, 2018
Nikon press release:
July 25, 2018
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the development of a full-frame, Nikon FX-format, mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses featuring a new mount.

The mirrorless camera and NIKKOR lenses that are in development have enabled the pursuit of a new dimension in optical performance, with the adoption of a new mount.
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-is-coming.page

Nikon mirrorless system is FF, not MF. they will not repeat Fuji's mistake. :)

Nikon Z-mount is very wide ... as expected by myself and many others ... to allow for maximum freedom in lens design. Nikon will not repeat their 1957 F-mount mistake and Sony'S FE mount mistake of making it "too darn narrow". :)

Z-Mount may appear even larger in the available pics than it really is, due to compact size of the camera body shown in teaser/leaked images. :)

There will be a Nikon OEM adapter for legacy F-mount shards. Will be funny to see how they want to provide backwards functionality for all those older F-shard clunkers with mechanical shenanigans like aperture rings, levers, non EM aperture iris ... and the like. Luckily, Canon EF mount users are be spared from these issues. :)

Canon will (have to) follow suit soon with a new native mount FF MILC system ... whether all fellow forum members believe it or not. Otherwise: DOOM and CAN-OCALYPSE! :)

Overall, excellent news. Soon i will be able to choose my future mirrorless FF camera stills system from any of 3 vendors. Plus compact, decent, affordable AF lenses for it from additional vendors like Samyang and other third party makers. I like. A lot!

End of *slap slap, mirror, sub-mirrors, separate AF-sensor, prism, moving mechanical parts, vibrations, noise, AF-MA and similar hassles* is in sight. Finally! :)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Nikon MILC will be *compact". Just what the doctor ordered. I like! Except that "un-elegant" 23mm nozzle up front or hollow tube space at rear of lens ... if confirmed. :)

Nikon-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-dimensions.jpg

(c) Nikon mirrorless camera dimensions by L. Johnson (thanks!)
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/25/official-press-release-nikons-develops-the-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera.aspx/#ixzz5MFd89V9o

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
fullstop said:
Nikon MILC will be *compact". Just what the doctor ordered. I like! Except that "un-elegant" 23mm nozzle up front or hollow tube space at rear of lens ... if confirmed. :)

Nikon-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-dimensions.jpg

(c) Nikon mirrorless camera dimensions by L. Johnson (thanks!)
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/25/official-press-release-nikons-develops-the-next-generation-full-frame-mirrorless-camera.aspx/#ixzz5MFd89V9o

Good image, I'm liking the size (yes I scaled the image down so 17 is 17), nice big proper grip hopefully sensible spacing between controls and that viewfinder look really big. Really looking forward to having a hold of this thing!

Edit: interesting that the distance from the back of the camera (excluding viewfinder) to the start of the grip look to be about 68mm.
Is that about the same as a 6D?

Upvote 0
The answer to which F-mount lenses will be available is already in the text:

This will work with the NIKKOR F mount lenses that are part of the Nikon digital SLR system

So, the adapter will be for the lenses produced during the DSLR era, and not the ones for the SLRs. Probably only for the lenses with an internal AF motor, i.e. AF-i and AF-S lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
fullstop said:
The camera might be compact, but with a lens, it will be the same size. It has the potential to be more compact by using a pancake lens, but the Canon "M" series is one that does very well at being compact, its hard to beat for that.

Since the "M" has been so popular, I look for a FF version of the M.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Nikon't patented adapter, which is similar to the Sony unit with a pellicle mirror and built in autofocus motor which adapts the old motor drive lenses allows those older but still ubiquitous lenses to be used, but without the advantage of mirrorless. They use a expensive adaptor and have the focus errors that all phase detect cameras have.

Canon's DPAF looks to be a winner here, since it works with all EF lenses, and with 3rd party lenses as well. It gives those Sigma lenses with inaccurate autofocus a new life.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Canon's DPAF looks to be a winner here, since it works with all EF lenses, and with 3rd party lenses as well. It gives those Sigma lenses with inaccurate autofocus a new life.

agree with your observations, but isn't that irrespective of DP-AF? Any other version of on-sensor AF system would also do ... although DP-AF does have a number of [theoretical] advantages.

In my view, it is all thanks to Canon's 1987 move to the *fully electronic* EF mount.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
fullstop said:
agree with your observations, but isn't that irrespective of DP-AF? Any other version of on-sensor AF system would also do ... although DP-AF does have a number of [theoretical] advantages.
I don't think that Canon uses any other version of on-sensor AF in their new sensors, so we don't know the limitations very well.

Upvote 0