Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Jul 21, 2010
It's pretty obvious that you are only interested in enforcing your viewpoint on everyone else in this forum and couldn't care less what is going on in the "real world".
So in your world, Canon ‘needed to upgrade their sensors’ because ‘they were behind’. And you think that’s the real world? LOL.

I’d just like people to be aware of the facts, and ideally be able to use those facts as a basis for logical deduction. I suppose that’s expecting too much from some people here.

Upvote 0
I think that these Sony improvements only help's raise the bar for all - as a wildlife hobbyist I can't justify switching systems just as and when somebody gets an advantage - I have been shooting Canon since the Canon 300D with DSLR's right through to a 1DX (second hand) and now on an EOS R. What is 100% clear to me is mirrorless is the future and whilst the R has been lambasted it is a sleeper - its much, much better than just the tech specs but has limitations. Having used for a while what would I want - just a mirrorless FF 7D11 replacement with a decent crop, IBIS and better tracking speed and especially faster EVF refresh rates but cheaper than a 1D replacement. The way that the AF accuracy of my R has revitalized some of my lenses and the tracking capability for stills / video (with decent contrast) is actually superb and the DR on what is really the 5D4 sensor is really very good!

People say no Canon leading-edge recent technologies - what about DPAF which was the first to allow eye tracking on video and still has the best / most natural way of changing focus? And of course, the new R mount is a big change which I believe will bring big advantages to weight/length of longer lenses ahead - check out 70-200 2.8 as an example. I am sure the next bodies will have synchronized IBIS included etc. but I think more importantly Canon should look to reduce its model spread and extend life through firmware updates rather than restricting access to features - but that I think will be unlikely..

However at the end of the day it's much more about the subject / framing / lighting and the moment than the tech which people keep forgetting - after all some of my best shots to this day were taken with a 30D and Sigma 100-300 F4 (right place right time).

Upvote 0

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Not super excited about 60+ MP. At that pixel density you're just dealing with huge file sizes, diffraction limits, and optics limits. I mean, I have the RF 50mm which is insane at 30mp on my EOS R, but I doubt I'll get enough out of doubling the MP to really care?

Seems like the areas where super high MP is needed are also areas where you use small apertures (landscape, macro), so you're not even seeing the full benefit of that extra detail due to diffraction limited aperture.

Upvote 0
F4 or even F2.8 lenses can’t generate artistic bokeh effect. Period. They are only good if the purpose is to take snapshot with everything clear and no emphasized main focus in the photo. Those everything clear snapshot photos, taken by F4 or even F2.8 lenses, will not have popup effect which separating main focus/object from backgrounds, as those taken by F2, F1.4, or F1.2 pro lenses.

To make artistic photography, larger aperture lenses are the must.
Artistic photography = Blurred background? Really?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yes, I have to admit I've been looking at these. Currently I used a 7D mkII and 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS II as my main walk around set up, plus a number of other lenses and bodies. The 200-600mm f6.3 looks amazing. The internal zoom is the main feature, because in practise it's almost impossible to zoom in an out when something like a flying bird comes closer than expected. It seems sharp at 600mm, and there are other little features like the tabs either side of the lens for carrying it. This A7R IV gives 26.2mp in crop mode and it gives the buffer 3x the limit. With the high resolution EVF this is going to make an incredible portable wildlife set up.

I'd like to think Canon were going to match this because I'm very invested in the system, for instance I have 7 Canon fit macro lenses. However, there seems no good reason to think that Canon are going to introduce something competitive in the next few years. Like yourself 10k+ lenses are out of the question, not just on price, but on portability.
I think A7R IV's buffer decreases considerably in APS-C mode, like to 3 seconds only. Don't know why, I'd expect an increase.

Upvote 0
I switched to an a7r iii from a 1Dx II last year and after 18 years of Canon "1" bodies. I could never go back. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. I can do.thjngs I never thought possible before and at half the price, half the weight and with 99% AF accuracy and lot more DR.
I don't do wild life but I have shot birds in flight just for fun and thos thing doesn't let go of the subject. Perfect AF every time. Rent one and try it for a few days. You willrnever go back. Just my opinion. Cheers!
lucky you

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not super excited about 60+ MP. At that pixel density you're just dealing with huge file sizes, diffraction limits, and optics limits. I mean, I have the RF 50mm which is insane at 30mp on my EOS R, but I doubt I'll get enough out of doubling the MP to really care?

Seems like the areas where super high MP is needed are also areas where you use small apertures (landscape, macro), so you're not even seeing the full benefit of that extra detail due to diffraction limited aperture.
They said the same about the slightly lower pixel density 5DS and 5DSR. My 5DSR really beats my 5DIV for the fine detail I can get - it's like having 30% more reach, and all of my lenses are up to it. You don't have to care about increasing pixel density, and I respect that. But, int turn you should appreciate that there are those who do want crop levels of detail on an FF, especially nature photographers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Sony's aggressive pace is a nightmare for Canon. Here is why:

(July 17) Nikkei reports that Canon's profit is likely to slide 40% on European slowdown:

Canon's operating profit is on track to sink 40% this year to slightly over 200 billion yen ($1.85 billion), Nikkei has learned, amid a slowing European economy and slumping chip market.
The shrinking camera market continues to hurt Canon. Deliveries of digital cameras worldwide tumbled 24% on the year during the first five months of 2019, according to the Camera & Imaging Products Association, based in Tokyo. Sales of Canon's single-lens reflex camera, a high-margin product, have declined in China and elsewhere.
For the second half, the company aims to expand revenue by rolling out new offerings such as additional lenses for the popular mirrorless cameras.

Read more: https://photorumors.com/2019/07/17/report-canons-profit-is-likely-to-slide-40/#ixzz5u1Rg4qXK

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sony's aggressive pace is a nightmare for Canon. Here is why:

(July 17) Nikkei reports that Canon's profit is likely to slide 40% on European slowdown:
Sony’s latest IR presentation forecasts a 45% drop in net income for FY19. So yeah, your logic makes sense. :rolleyes:

But, credit where credit is due — at least you’re consistent in your illogical forum trolling. Slow clap for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
"Sony's aggressive pace" is responsible for slowdown of office equipment sales in Europe? Europeans stopped buying copiers because they are buying Sony cameras instead?
Great answer. This exchange between you and djack41 ought to be copied and pasted into all the other threads talking about Canon's revised forecasts.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
F4 or even F2.8 lenses can’t generate artistic bokeh effect. Period. They are only good if the purpose is to take snapshot with everything clear and no emphasized main focus in the photo. Those everything clear snapshot photos, taken by F4 or even F2.8 lenses, will not have popup effect which separating main focus/object from backgrounds, as those taken by F2, F1.4, or F1.2 pro lenses.

To make artistic photography, larger aperture lenses are the must.
So landscape photography doesn't qualify as art?

Upvote 0
Wait...what? Canon is "lagging" in their bodies but it "has been too many years since the last release" that you use or would buy. So, if you haven't bought or used a new Canon body for years on what authority are you claiming they are "lagging?"

I shoot with a 5DSR since it was first released. I also have an older 5D Mark III and a lot of Canon glass. I have been shooting with Canon for over 20 years and upgraded my bodies when I felt like there was enough progress to warrant the investment. I am also a CPS member and loyal Canon advocate on a number of forums.

The 5DSR is a great camera, but this new Sony beats it in almost every meaningful technical manner. There are always differences in ergonomics, weather sealing, user interface and service support that make me want to stay with Canon, but this is an incredibly compelling offering from Sony and I am just acknowledging that.

My point is not to whine and have someone talk me out of switching (I will make my own decision and live with the consequences) but to point out on a Canon rumors forum that posted a Sony release notice that Canon has lost focus on my needs (not anyone elses). Interesting that my original post received 10 likes and your critique quite a few less. Apparently there are other like minded people on this forum that might be feeling the same frustration.

What do you shoot with and how long have you been a Canon shooter? It is interesting that you are so willing to shout anyone down that raises anything slightly anti-Canon. We are not all sycophants to Canon on this forum. At least I don't think that is the price of entry to be a member. Some of us have the ability to independently think and evaluate.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0