Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Sep 17, 2014
lenses.

Everyone has lenses.

No one really needs canons specialty lenses, to be totally honest. We need our solid work lenses.

And yeah...lets all buy Canon R's now. Not a chance.

While i like Canon's amazing RF lenses, for me the Sony 200-600 worth more than all specialty 1.2 lenses for $3000.
As you said, everyone has lenses now

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Yes, that sounds great. But, please keep in mind that that $1,800 lens performs on par with a $900 Sigma lens. So, if you put a $900 Sigma lens on a 20 mp 10 fps Canon 7DII, you have about the same level of performance for well under half the price.

From the test i've seen it's a pretty sharp and good quality lens. Also IF and internal zoom and weathersealed. But more importantly it's a native lens, so less likely to have AF or future compatibility issues.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I dont think anyone could credibly believe that. Canon has had years upon years where all they showed- even with thier biggest lines- 5d, 7d- that they were content with making adequate cameras.

There hasn't been true excitement for a canon body arguably since the 1dx2,
Canon is not in body excitement business; they are making workhorses. My 10 years old 5D2 is still pretty adequate for my needs.

Sony, on the other hand, is way too much of an entertainment company, and it shows.

Canon's own philosophy has now doomed them. They can't catch up to this. They wont.

I give canon 5 years before they pull out of camera development. The writing is on the wall, especially if they have no desire to make class leading products. at that end, whats the point?
I don't know what will happen to ILC market in 5 years from now, but if it still exist, Canon will still be selling their workhorses. Sony, on the other hand, may run out of "true excitement" ideas in camera business and switch to yet another market of new toys for rich kids.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, that sounds great. But, please keep in mind that that $1,800 lens performs on par with a $900 Sigma lens. So, if you put a $900 Sigma lens on a 20 mp 10 fps Canon 7DII, you have about the same level of performance for well under half the price.

Where has someone compared it with a $900 Sigma? The only comparison I have seen so far is a worthless one by TN with the more expensive Sigma Sport. It is not a rhetorical question but a genuine one as I am interested in comparisons and haven't found any proper reviews by the good sites.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Canon is not in body excitement business; they are making workhorses. My 10 years old 5D2 is still pretty adequate for my needs.

Sony, on the other hand, is way too much of an entertainment company, and it shows.

I don't know what will happen to ILC market in 5 years from now, but if it still exist, Canon will still be selling their workhorses. Sony, on the other hand, may run out of "true excitement" ideas in camera business and switch to yet another market of new toys for rich kids.

Well, there is always an argument for that. Before Canon's EOS/EF long line of "AF" SLR, journalism = Nikon, that was when Auto Focus took over the world of 'workhorse' film cameras. There is every chance that Canon may lose the crown to someone else if they are not bring out something innovative. Canon was the company which brought USM focusing motors to photography, they were the one which introduced 'Eye Focus', not the 'eye tracking' these days, it is eyeball tracking of which focusing point you are looking at into the view finder (EOS5/50e/3). By looking at the trend and roadmap of Canon at the moment, I serious do not see them repeating their glories in the 90s'.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Where has someone compared it with a $900 Sigma? The only comparison I have seen so far is a worthless one by TN with the more expensive Sigma Sport. It is not a rhetorical question but a genuine one as I am interested in comparisons and haven't found any proper reviews by the good sites.
I thought I had seen some early reviews that were placing it in the same range as the Sigmas and the Tamrons, but of course, now I can't locate them. My apologies if I'm incorrect.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
From the test i've seen it's a pretty sharp and good quality lens. Also IF and internal zoom and weathersealed. But more importantly it's a native lens, so less likely to have AF or future compatibility issues.
I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that you can get nearly the same thing with the 7DII and third party lenses, or, for that matter, the D500 and Nikon lens and both options are less expensive and have been available for years.

Simply trying to introduce a doze of reality into all the hype.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that you can get nearly the same thing with the 7DII and third party lenses, or, for that matter, the D500 and Nikon lens and both options are less expensive and have been available for years.

Simply trying to introduce a doze of reality into all the hype.
It's so easy to stoke up GAS by hype and Sony are masters of it!

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
OMG! Canon Rumors is trolling themselves with Sony announcements! Have they become paid shills for Sony? Ask 'Aussie Shooter'...only he knows for sure.

On a more serious note, where are the Canon engineers? What are they doing? Why is Canon not on the leading edge as they have been for decades? Giving the technological lead to a movie company...ROTCOL.
I'd say they been slacking since the first EOS cinema line {partially the exception of the 5div}. AS for what they are doing. They are pulling a nintendo. "Spend less, give less, make more money." Now that the market is worse, they have even less incentive to go all out. It seems to be working when I see these sales charts.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Only Panasonic S1 has internal 10bit recording (under 2500 USD) and that is the reason why S1 is huge compared to other FF mirrorless cameras. No other model does that. It isn't Canon crippling or thinking for customers. This is Sony propaganda.
Which AF verification? Sony says A7R IV has a special AF mode for low light focusing. Sony can verify this if you ask them, but Sony doesn't claim AF at -6EV so that must be true.
I never said 4K video in A7R IV was bad, I talked about the crop mode which Canon has been criticised a lot. Now Sony has the same crop if you want a good quality 4K video.
Sony claims better weather sealing than A7R III which had no sealing around battery/card cover.
Sony is super 35/aps-c type of crop vs 1.74 crop on canon. they arent the same. you also arent factoring in that they make specific lenses for s35 not for 1.74. so it becomes a major inconvenience if you want to shoot wide in 4k.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The real points of significance for me in this new body are the AF improvements if they really work, the large buffer for 10fps at 61MP...
Yes, but keep this Sony footnote in mind:
[v] In JPEG (Extra fine / Fine) or compressed RAW mode

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
How good is Sony's sensor when someone posts a video on the a9 + 600 f/4 (that's US $17,000), and the only thing people comment on, is sensor dust?
Canon nipped this issue in the bud with its sensor shutter closing. Google "sony sensor dust", this issue is real and pervasive, and Sony has done nothing to address it since the original A7. Here's another example: anti-flicker. The irony baffles me as to how Sony brags about high frame rate, yet can't get this simple yet vital concept right: consistent exposure in artificial light. Only TDP documented this with the a7R3 ( https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sony-a7R-III.aspx ) . Here's another Sony flaw when it comes to video: low bitrates, which affects grading, kinda important. Alik Griffin pointed this out in his R versus A7 review ( https://alikgriffin.com/canon-eos-r-just-about-everyone-got-it-wrong ), very few other reviews did. This affects grading, as Potato Jet and Armando Ferreira discovered: (
). Funny how so many pro-Sony reviews "forgot" to mention this important flaw.

But you go right ahead and keep believing that Canon is "severely falling behind". But if you really believed that, you wouldn't be here. You would have switched. And be posting on Sony forums, and sharing your pics and showing how much better the equipment made your photography, right?

I stand by my statement.
The development of cameras is different from developing technology.
Canon has some incredible sensors and technology but seem to have a problem incorporating it into consumer products. And by consumer I mean pros as well vs heavy industrial applications.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Or by selling more cameras, if you care about that sort of thing. We probably don’t, but I’m sure Canon and Sony do.

I’m being glib here as I’m on the train, but Neuro, you’re smarter than this. RIM is an extreme example, but unit sales are sometimes a lagging indicator—not a leading one.

Nobody shoots Minoltas anymore.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How good is Sony's sensor when someone posts a video on the a9 + 600 f/4 (that's US $17,000), and the only thing people comment on, is sensor dust?
Canon nipped this issue in the bud with its sensor shutter closing. [..]

Canon only nipped that on half of their RF mount cameras, the RP doesn't have that option. I've worked around it with the EF-RF filter adapter for the time being, but once I have actual RF lenses I'll need to stock up on sensor cleaning utensils.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Well, there is always an argument for that. Before Canon's EOS/EF long line of "AF" SLR, journalism = Nikon, that was when Auto Focus took over the world of 'workhorse' film cameras. There is every chance that Canon may lose the crown to someone else if they are not bring out something innovative. Canon was the company which brought USM focusing motors to photography, they were the one which introduced 'Eye Focus', not the 'eye tracking' these days, it is eyeball tracking of which focusing point you are looking at into the view finder (EOS5/50e/3). By looking at the trend and roadmap of Canon at the moment, I serious do not see them repeating their glories in the 90s'.
Reminds me of a saying from that time: "Minolta makes the best bodies, Nikon makes the best lenses and Canon
makes the best compromise".

Making "the best bodies" did not help Minolta back then.
Bringing top technology (SWM + VR) only to costly lenses did not help Nikon.
Canon's workhorses were working for soccer moms as well as for journalists.

And although Canon's 'Eye Focus' did not work for me on my 50e, it was still a very capable and comfortable camera of its time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As a nature/landscape photographer, 15 stops of dynamic range really gets my attention!! I have no plans to switch to Sony, and already have an EOS R. I don't really need super-high resolution; dynamic range is much more important to me. When Canon's pro-level mirrorless body comes out, I expect improved HDR and in -body stabilization, and a continuation of their amazing RF lenses. Canon is definitely slow off the mark when it comes to mirrorless, but I think they are finally showing some exciting promise over the next year and a half. The Sony camera is nice, but not nice enough for me to say good bye to some pretty impressive RF lenses and upcoming cameras.

Upvote 0
???
  • "High-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps(4) with full AF / AE tracking for approximately seven seconds(5) in full-frame mode with an increased buffer memory, and approximately three times as long in APS-C mode."
Of course, I'm not a wildlife shooter, but this seems slow to me... at least compared to a 1DX Mark II (which is more money). But that sensor....

I guess the A9 is Sony's sports/wildlife cam? I really don't know.

Yes it's about as slow as the 7DII.

Upvote 0