Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
If you make money with your gear, even selling one 4x6" print from Snapfish, that counts as business use, making you ineligible for a homeowners policy rider. But as long as you're using the gear for personal use only, the homeowners rider is a very inexpensive solution. My gear is insured through State Farm (they call it a personal articles policy), and I pay $7.60 per $1000 gear per year. No deductible, worldwide coverage, covers loss, damage, theft, etc., with full replacement value.

The only caveat to this sort of coverage is that you should be careful about making claims. Because coverage is linked to your homeowners policy, claims against the rider are reported to the CLUE database, and too many claims can affect your eligibility for coverage as well as your future rates. So, if you drop your entire bag of gear off a cliff into the ocean, file a claim. If you lose a lens hood, just go buy a new one.

Upvote 0
http://www.harvardwestern.com/

I don't have personal experience with them, but I did have them do me up a quote and it was some pretty good coverage. I think $1000 for the year covered $25,000 in personal equipment, $25,000 in rental equipment, and something like $5000 in computer equipment. That's really rough memory from a year ago, but they seem pretty good.

Upvote 0
P

prestonpalmer

Careful here guys. I know some guys who got burned pretty good by putting their equipment on a "homeowners" policy rather than a business policy. If you are making ANY money with your camera equipment, its a very very easy excuse for insurance companies to not pay up on the loss, and trust me, they will.

Ive been insured with Marsh for the past 4 years. They are very reasonably priced and excellent at servicing professional photographers. Oh, did I mention only a $100 deductible too!?!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.